The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Default Anyone heard of a Herpes case in VA?

I have just been notified that there has been an outbreak of Equine Herpes
    Virus and 3 barns - 1 in Loudoun - have been closed and are under
    quarantine. I do not know which form of Equine Herpes that we are talking
    about or the location of the other 2 barns.
    I recieved this email. Is there any validity? Which barn is it? I work at several, so I am esspecially concerned.

Default Anyone heard of a Herpes case in VA?

A barn owner at a farm in Virginia sent a notice to her boarders that Moven was treating a case of the Equine Herpes Virus and she is asking her boarders not to do any traveling with their horses until more information is forthcoming. Has there been a confirmed case or outbreak, or is this just the rumor mill?

I hope that just by posting this, I'm not contributing to the rumor mill, I'm just hoping that the CotH's wide net of eyes and ears will be able to help find out if this is fact or fiction.

Thanks yellowbritches. I didn't even think to check their own site. Duh!

I juuust heard something about it today in passing. At Morven Park no less. Maybe the person meant Loudoun? Don't really know.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

I'm in Loudoun and am very concerned to hear this.
    Should this thread move to horse care? As a show hunter person, I would have missed it if I hadn't happened to sign on and see it as the lead Dressage thread.
    I'm going to try to find out more from vets tomorrow morning.

Default EHV-1 Outbreak in VA????

On the dressage forum someone posted that they heard that there is an equine herpes outbreak in VA, and that 3 barns, including one in Loudoun Cty., are under quarantine. Can anyone verify this (and the location)??

Thanks

I was just about to post, although I don't know much...

There is one confirmed case at Morven. They sent out a fax to my trainer's vet (and, I am sure, others) and that's how we found out at the barn. That's all I know for sure. There were other, fuzzy details that I won't quote until I confirm them; I don't want to drag anyone's barn or business name into this unless it's fact.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Combined two threads about this into this one, so that's why it's repetitive and slightly out of order.

I heard about the Morven one too, but not of the others.....
    There's coffee in that nebula.

http://emc.vetmed.vt.edu/newatEMC.html

Here is their official press release. There is also another thread on this on Off Course.

Here's the article in the Fauquier Democrat on the Morvan Park quarantine:

State officials imposed a quarantine of the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center effective immediately due to the suspected infection of the neurologic form of Equine Herpesvirus type 1 in three hospitalized horses. No additional patients will be admitted to the Leesburg hospital until further notice.

Hospital officials expect the quarantine to last 14-28 days.

EHV-1, one of several strains of the virus, is a highly contagious and sometimes fatal disease that, although not transmissible to humans, can cause respiratory signs, early- and late-term abortion, peri-natal infection, encephalitis, and other complications in horses. It is spread from infected horses, which shed the virus through nasal fluids and bodily secretions, by airborne transmission and by direct contact with affected horses.

Symptoms can include fever, coughing, nasal discharge, loss of balance, urinary retention and recumbency.

"Based on the clinical signs and one positive test from the first horse with neurologic signs, we are treating this as an infection with EHV-1," said Dr. Nathaniel White, director of the center. "We are taking extraordinary precautions and following stringent procedures in order to protect the horses in our care as well as the general equine population. The health and safety of our patients is our first priority."

According to White, a horse brought to the hospital Wednesday, Feb. 7, to be treated for an unrelated emergency, and subsequently developed a fever and signs of nervous system disease. The horse was immediately isolated in the hospital's Biosafety Level 2 isolation unit.

Initial nasal swab testing revealed that the horse was positive for EHV-1. "Though this test can have false positive results, we are treating this as a true infection," said White.

Hospital officials elected to impose a voluntary quarantine of patients in the area of the hospital where risk of exposure was possible. These horses were promptly separated from the rest of the hospital's equine population in designated isolation barns.

As of Tuesday morning, two additional horses are being treated at the center for unrelated problems developed fever and neurologic symptoms leading state officials to quarantine all hospital facilities.

"The center has always followed strict biosafety procedures governing patient care, movement in and out of the isolation unit, and cleaning of stalls between each horse occupancy in order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases," said Dr. Martin Furr, the Adelaide C. Riggs chair in equine medicine at the center. "However, this quarantine, which is the first that we've had (since the center opened in 1984) has been implemented to ensure that there is no chance of spreading the virus."

"I would like to emphasize that though these are not confirmed cases of EHV-1 by virus isolation or serology, we are implementing appropriate measures to prevent the spread of any contagions," said White. "We are taking this situation very seriously."

In 2002, four horses in Middleburg were euthanized after contracting EHV-1. In December 2006, 13 horses in Florida were identified as infected with EHV-1, with neurologic signs and six associated deaths. Ten Florida premises were quarantined.

Another strain of EHV, EHV-4, is a respiratory disease, also highly contagious but not deadly. EHV-1 can be treated with supportive therapy to control fever but no vaccine exists to fully protect against the neurologic form of the virus, and no medication has been proven to fully counteract it once it is contracted.

Virginia Tech's MDSEMC is a full-service equine hospital operated as one of three campuses that comprise the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.

Horse owners with questions or concerns should call their own vet or they can call the center at (703) 771-6800.

What other facilities handle emergency surgical services while the EMC is locked down?

Morven and the Spurlocks are the only 2 I've used.

I've been debating whether or not to say anything, but maybe jingles are in order.

One of our horses went in to Morven on Saturday afternoon for treatment for a medical colic. She should have been able to come home either today or tomorrow, but obviously she will not be coming home for awhile. She is NOT one of the affected horses.

The staff at the hospital is incredible, and I know whole heartedly that they will do right by all the horses in their care. But obviously, we're more than a little nervous for our little horse (and all the rest, of course). Please jingle for her, the staff, the other horses, and our little horse's teenage owner.

I want to say the new Piedmont Clinic is capable, but I haven't been out there yet.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Peidmont Equine in Marshall is now doing surgeries at thier new facility - but not colic. For colic, I think its New Bolten. I have heard that's 3 hours from Northern Fauquier.

I have the same question as SID. Can someone kindly post information regarding where to take a horse in this area in an emergency while Morven is under quarantine?

I was planning to call my vets in the morning and would be happy to post anything they advise then. In the meantime it would be helpful if anyone could post suggestions in the off chance someone needs the info faster.

Thanks

Edited to add: I believe the Spurlocks do colic surgery, but I *think* they can only handle one surgery at a time (would need someone else to confirm that; I heard this second-hand).

See also

http://www.mda.state.md.us/

February 20, 2007, 5pm
    The Maryland Department of Agriculture is conducting a neurologic equine herpes virus -1 (EHV-1) investigation in six locations in Maryland (five horses currently located in Maryland). The investigation is warranted because these horses had possible indirect exposure to an EHV-1 test-positive horse being treated initially for colic at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, VA and were discharged before the horse in Leesburg showed signs of EHV-1. The “index” horse that originally went to Leesburg was from St. Mary's County, Maryland (our 6th location) and remains at Leesburg under treatment.

MDA veterinarians are going to the six Maryland locations this afternoon to put 7-day “investigational hold orders” on the farms to prevent any movement of horses onto or off of the farms until test results are back. If they can get samples tonight, they will; if not, they will go back and take samples tomorrow. MDA veterinarians will evaluate each on a case-by-case basis. MDA is acting on the side of extreme caution.

Oh, no, Yellowbritches. I jingling like mad (literally)...I have my curb chain right by my computer (bit and all).

I thinking good thoughts that this is not EHV-1.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Blue Ridge Equine, but they're down near Charlottesville.

I called to cancel an appointment for Monday, the 19th because I couldn't get to the horse, or get the horse out - for elective procedures. They told me not to worry because they were cancelling my appointment. I'm glad now that they did, but very worried about the other peoples' horses who are still there.

The thing is . . . . . where are these index cases coming from. It was a horse that was brought in for a completely different reason. It makes you afraid to go to any clinic.

AND, what good are health certificates? The horse that brought EHV to Florida was released from a quarantine facility, supposedly healthy and probably with a health certificate. They're good for 30 days, but you can have a horse come down with EHV a couple of days after the certificate is done and the horse is released from quarantine.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!