The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default Salinero and the Police

I just read in HorseIllustrated that Salinero acted up at WEG and the police had to be called to deal with him. Does anyone have pics of this event? Wwere any of you there and can you give a first hand account.

I wasn't there, but apparently he got a little overexcited in the victory gallop and made a bee-line for the exit of the arena at full speed. And, apparently Ms. Van Grunsven had to point him at some mounted police to get him to pull up. So, no, he wasn't exactly arrested ; ).

I hear he is in the Big House making license plates.

I hear he is in the Big House making license plates

I actually saw them hoofcuff him and haul him away
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

she was not able to control him anymore and he - happy to once got out of control- took of. She was yelling help help. He could only be stopped because the mounted police was getting into their way.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    2015: Likoto- Florencio - Prince Thatch; Lissaro - Don Frederico - Prince Thatch; Edward - Sandro Hit - Rouletto

more rollkur snidelikins.

look, people, just about any horse can and has done that. when milton did it, it was cute. get a life.

yeah, and if YOUR horse spooked, it would be because of the mean DQ with more money than you and friends with the judge, that rattled the gate to scare your darling horse, and somehow YOUR partnership with your horse would be unquestionable.

what a bunch of nonsense. the woman is pregnant, the police are the ones who always stop these horses, they also stopped invasor and plenty of other horses too.

the same has happened to klimke, balkenhol and all the rest of the non rollkurlers. try to get a different hobby. klimke wound up lying on his face in the dirt more than once at a show - you're twisting things. it happens to everyone.

horses are not robots. they occasionally get startled by things - ANY horse, rollkured or not.

look, i don't train my horse that way either, but i DON'T need to gossip about someone and make up ridiculous things about them or twist what happens, in order to select how i want to train my horse. i am able to decide how to train my horse thru my own study without dissing others. try it.

Exclamation Ooooo My My....

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    yeah, and if YOUR horse spooked, it would be because of the mean DQ with more money than you and friends with the judge, that rattled the gate to scare your darling horse, and somehow YOUR partnership with your horse would be unquestionable.

what a bunch of nonsense. the woman is pregnant, the police are the ones who always stop these horses, they also stopped invasor and plenty of other horses too.

the same has happened to klimke, balkenhol and all the rest of the non rollkurlers. try to get a different hobby. klimke wound up lying on his face in the dirt more than once at a show - you're twisting things. it happens to everyone.

horses are not robots. they occasionally get startled by things - ANY horse, rollkured or not.

look, i don't train my horse that way either, but i DON'T need to gossip about someone and make up ridiculous things about them or twist what happens, in order to select how i want to train my horse. i am able to decide how to train my horse thru my own study without dissing others. try it.
    Taking this a little too personal aren't! Just my opinion Darling!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Jeesh, as tho this is something that's never happened in the international arena before! Yeh, the horse took off..... so what! Consider the atmosphere, the stress, the days/hours of confinement required to compete at this level and even the most sensible of horses could and have spooked. I'm just glad no one was hurt.

( I did hear Salinero looked very handsome in the striped suit tho. )
    "Every little girl wants a pony so why should big girls be any different???"

is that all you got, sannois, when someone doesn't go along with this malarky? 'taking it too personal'? come on, you can do better than that? why don't you go back to the old standby's like anyone who doesn't agree with you beats their horse?

rumor has it salinero is hangin' with low friends in low places. rumor has it that in the lockup, he was seen conversing with a zebra.

My word do rumors get out of control!!!

Yeah, I saw the booking photos - front and side - with a number under them. They had him in 4 hoof irons, linked together so he couldn't trot away. They took his hoofprints and put them in the hoofprint computer for all time. He'll never be able to get a job in Grand Prix again with his police record.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

My horse did much the same sort of thing (though not as elegantly as Salinero, and I'm sure I didn't look as graceful as Anky ) day before yesterday, when he spotted a potentially horse eating cow .

To be honest, I didn't really even for a moment think that this meant we had a crappy partnership - just sort of made a mental note that we must find a way to work on despooking for horse eating cows sometime in the near future.

How to despook for a stadium with 50,000 people screaming and clapping and waving stuff around might be a bit more daunting preposition. Wonder how many of the people filled with righteous indignation at Anky's failure to control her horse under those circumstances would want to ride their mount in that kind of place?

Not that they're likely to ever have to worry about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    But thats just not a pretty picture for an olympian. In fact its just plain strange! Sort of makes me think of the circus elephants when they have finally had enough they go ballistic!

Stuff happens, horses will spook and some of our own riders have been known to change horses for the award ceremony to avoid precisely that issue. If you were at the Olympic try-outs a couple of years ago which had a much smaller crowd you would have seen all sort of spooking after the final halt and during the victory gallops. Some riders abstained altogether from even trying. Some riders, Leslie Morse come to mind showed how strong a rider she can be on her stallion who at one point kept bolting/she stopped -bolting/she stopped it as he tried to run out (she was done with her test) One horse Wallabee kept rearing, full blown on his hind legs rears during the ceremony and the second time around had a man on the ground holding him. Rider sat there with a huge grin on his face. I think the mare called Claire also did some acrobatics. There were a few moments when my heart was in my mouth.

Red face Touchy-touchy

This exchange of posts answers the question on another thread....

"Why are so many replies mean on the dressage board?"

One accusation thrown at the top dressage riders is that the jumping horses don't act up. Cobblers. The Horse of the Year Show is on the TV in the UK at the moment and you should have seen the horses who won the class last night in the presentation! Leaping, rearing, spinning. All of them were all over the place.

Horses will be horses. Especially in a big atmosphere. I'm glad Anky wasn't hurt. She must have been frightened to have shouted "help, help!"

I'm with slc, i don't get all this hate and bashing and just plain ugliness towards other people. I am so sick of it everywhere, not just with horses. Why do so many people have to hate or put down or ridicule one person just because they like another (politics come to mind)?

Quote Originally Posted by saddlesurfer View Post
    This exchange of posts answers the question on another thread....

"Why are so many replies mean on the dressage board?"
    But this isn't restricted to dressage. Other disciplines are just as bad. People even have to put down a music band because they happen to like another one better (ya know the whole Led Zepplin rocks and Rolling Stones sucks and vice versa, phenomena).

Default ?

"Wonder how many of the people filled with righteous indignation at Anky's failure to control her horse under those circumstances would want to ride their mount in that kind of place?"

who was filled with righteous indignation???

I'm glad to see so many fair and reasonable responses to this thread, because Alexandra's post seemed particularly unfair and inappropriate, and I didn't miss the little dig from Sannois either.

There is no winning with some of the people on this board. Some people should simply add a signature line, or whatever it is called, that says "I hate Anky, period, and there is no reasoning with me."

Wonder how many of the people filled with righteous indignation at Anky's failure to control her horse under those circumstances would want to ride their mount in that kind of place?

Not that they're likely to ever have to worry about it.....
    LOL, exactly!

Although I'm surprised nobody has yet chimed in to say how their Intro Level QH simply NEVER spooks and would handle crowds NO PROBLEM, and probably halts better than Salinero too (insert eye rolling LOL).

I loved it the last time someone "innocently" started a thread about this same incident, and that OP claimed to be very opposed to rollkur yet did not know who Anky is , then oh-so-passive-aggressively thanked her lucky stars that she knows how to stop a runaway no problem..whilst laughing hysterically of course. Come to think of it then that same OP posted in a Chris Reeve thread that whilst his accident was certainly a fluke, she was oh-so-glad that she knows how to fall off!!! Priceless.