The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Video of WEG2006 -- Was Anky's ride really the best?

Thanks Theo for posting the awesome rides! I just watched them all, and I have
    to say, as much as I love Anky, don't you all think that her ride wasn't actually the best?

I mean, her ride was good. But there were others that didn't have the tension and had a lot more
    fluidity, more precision, expecially the guy from Denmark who got second place. HIS ride was excellent!

I also thought Kyra's was excellent. As well as Jan Brinks.

What part of this am I missing? I am not bashing her by any extent, I really like her, but fair is fair, and I think that some of the judges must have had blinders on when they were watching the other rides.

It wasn't to me. Not even close.

I also was not terribly impressed with Isabel's ride, but for entirely different reasons. Too many mistakes I thought for the score.

I really like Stephan's ride, except of course, for the big ding on swaying in the piaffe. That was really a bad fault, but otherwise the horse was wonderful, wonderful. Very precise, very correct, very beautifully ridden.

I haven't seen the others yet-

What's up with keeping the curb horizontal anyway? I would excuse this on the electric atmosphere in the jumping arena, but it seems to be a common thread in every video I see of top performers these days. Cepting Stephan.

Gee, what have the rest of us been saying for the last few years...

I love the second place finisher, Andreas from Denmark. I am in love with his mare!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

My one comment, salinero looks robot-like not so sure 'bout that...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Adelita View Post
    I love the second place finisher, Andreas from Denmark. I am in love with his mare!
    She really caught my eye too.

I could really see what Ideayoda calls the "downhill balance" when watching Salinero. Andreas IMO should have won. I am in awe!

Video of WEG2006 -- Was Anky's ride really the best?
    yes.

Wink video

Can someone pls send me the link of the video? I would love to see it.

gracias.

M
    Spain won the World Cup!!! Espana! Espana! Espana!

when you all have as much training as the judges, i'll be waiting with bated breath to know.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    when you all have as much training as the judges, i'll be waiting with bated breath to know.

cease waiting.

I do.

Downhill balance is a very tactful way to describe a horse which is on it's forehand, uneven behind, and not engaged. Not #1 in my book.

yiou have the same training and experience as witthages and zang and the others? why aren't you judging?

i will look at the complete tapes in a couple weeks, but i doubt that the judges would have given salinero 1st place if he was flying around with his face in the dirt all the time. he may have had a couple bad moments but i think all tests do.

i still don't understand what the motivation of witthages, zang and the others would be to unfairly reward a badly performing horse 1st place over and over and over and over and over.

I read on another BB that Salinero literally ran away w/Anky in an award's ceremony--to the point that she couldn't stop him initially.

Can anyone verify/debunk this?
    The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain

slc2, it's nice that you have so much faith in the judges...but I don't think even they'd say they have your complete faith in each other! Talking to some top judges, they've said they'll sit on panels and be thrilled with the quality of the panel...and at other times, they debate in their minds whether they should modify their scores to make up for the politics or the lack of education of their fellow judges on the panel.

I don't know what the answer is, although I'm beginning to think randomly eliminating a score from the panel might help. It certainly wouldn't work to throw out the high and/or the low score, as who is to say that particular judge isn't the only one who is 'right.'
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

Default Andreas?

Loved all the rides, but I really got goosebumps for Andreas. I was thinking 'what a good time that horse is having!"

Would the swishy tail count off? It looked more like keeping time to the music to me.

Which would I want to ride/own? Andreas! Just looked like a joyous ride.

just IMHO!
    Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    Member of the Womanly Riders Clique
    Founding Member of LCLR Clique!!

you need to read back, and find just where i said i have 'complete faith' in the judges.

i said i'd listen to them before a bunch of people with no experience riding at that level, no judge's forums, no experience training at that level, no experience with that sort of riding.

why?

the judges have MORE training than these armchair quarterbacks.

infallible? perfect? always completely right?

no, but i don't EXPECT that, and when you stop expecting people to be perfect, and are happy with experienced, trained, educated, examined, tested, and all that, vs. not examined, not educated, not tested, you'll learn a lot more and be a lot less pissed off continually at the evil injustice so and so got robbed blah blah blah.

no one is ever always right or always perfect. but i have more faith in the people with the training and the experience, than i do in the people who don't have any of that, or have some small tiny amount of it.

i posted comments from linda zang here from a couple of years back. the responses to those comments convinced me beyond the slightest shadow of a doubt, that if there is a disagreement between linda zang and the people posting here, i'm sticking with linda zang's view.

slc

Default The commentators on many TV-channels were PROS this time

I have listened to all the commentators (6 different channels) but also to the judges and the riders comments after the freestyle to music.

There was no dispute about the placings of the top-5 riders.

The propeller-tail of Matiné was one of the reasons, the fact that he had many mistakes in the changes of the gaits, and the fact that he didn't lower his haunches in the piaffe, next to some minor mistakes like knickingbucking with his head during the passage, his extended walk and two pirouettes which were to big, were some of the general statements.

Also Andreas himself told the media that the FTM wasn't his best ride.

Please don't shoot the messenger, because I also would have liked to see Andreas win, but this time it shouldn't be honest.

Theo

Hey HD, old pal, any chance of seeing the GP rides? I saw the freestyles (hmm) and the specials( yum!) but would love to see the GP rides on dial up kind sir.

Yes, I am sucking up.

PS just heard rumour that Matine sold to UK for over 4 million euros. Any confirmation on that?

As far as who gave the best FREESTYLE TO MUSIC performance, YES Anky should have won.

For the few faults that Salinero has the others had more, as Theo said, as good and completely gorgeous as Matine is she has some issues with balance and strength, ie piaffe that is more like a passage on the spot at this point, bigger pirouettes etc, AND Anky's artistic marks were deservedly much higher.

All in all a good and fair result

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    you need to read back, and find just where i said i have 'complete faith' in the judges.

i said i'd listen to them before a bunch of people with no experience riding at that level, no judge's forums, no experience training at that level, no experience with that sort of riding.

why?

the judges have MORE training than these armchair quarterbacks.

infallible? perfect? always completely right?

no, but i don't EXPECT that, and when you stop expecting people to be perfect, and are happy with experienced, trained, educated, examined, tested, and all that, vs. not examined, not educated, not tested, you'll learn a lot more and be a lot less pissed off continually at the evil injustice so and so got robbed blah blah blah.

no one is ever always right or always perfect. but i have more faith in the people with the training and the experience, than i do in the people who don't have any of that, or have some small tiny amount of it.

i posted comments from linda zang here from a couple of years back. the responses to those comments convinced me beyond the slightest shadow of a doubt, that if there is a disagreement between linda zang and the people posting here, i'm sticking with linda zang's view.

slc
    I agree with the most of your above statement, but you bring yourself in a strange position when you are saying you STAND with the judges, because this time LZ was out of sync with 4 other judges. Maybe LZ was right, but then four other judges were wrong. My guiding light is always Stephan Clark, because he is an honest judge and was and is a very good rider himself.

Theo