The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

You must live in MY area TS!!!! No kidding, these people are jokes!

Oh my - poor ponies

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalStorm
    You know what's odd too? In like 8 years on the equestrian scence, I've NEVER had any problems. Maybe this is my month.

I should also clarify, I'M not involved in Pony Club, nor will I be at this point. I actually went with my friend to a) take some pictures of her ride and b) talk to the "trainer" of Jimmy the Spawn in hopes of gaining her help. As you can imagine, I nixed that idea.
    Hmmm...is there a lot of inbreeding (of humans) in your area? Is the legal age of consent 3 years? This might explain the problems.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

It would seriously explain a lot, wouldn't it?!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

This sounds like the first and last 4-H group lesson I ever got talked into teaching. NEVER again. *shudders* My sympathies. I would have probably really lit into someone, watching that.

Good lord, sounds like you went to Bizarro World.

I could feel my blood pressure rise just reading about it.

One thing about the horse business, too many people believe they're a genius.(aka: Legend in Their Own Mind)
    I tend to trust the people who feel they're less than brilliant, chances are they work overtime to try and do the right thing.

Once worked at a barn that was sold to the sort of people you're talking about (either the barn-idgits, or your new charming neighbors). I was there taking care of the old owner's horses and was lunging a small very green pony. Pony was pretty sensitive, so slow and steady was my goal. At one point I popped the end of the whip to get his attention and one of the new owners marched over ripped the whip out of my hand proceeded to beat the pony while telling me "This isn't a freaking circus! This is how you use a WHIP!!!!
    It took me almost half an hour to get that pony stopped, not to mention getting dragged all over the arena, and he was pretty useless for several days afterward.
    I tell ya, that lady had a "gift"....and I so wanted to beat it outta her. (even a "genius" needs a good beating now and then.)

How sad....really sad. I would have struggled to keep my mouth and my hands quiet too, I would have wanted to smack that kid as hard as she was smacking her horse to get an idea of what it was like, although agree, it wouldn't have achieved anything other than a citation for GBH.

Chin up - next month will better!!! (It has to be...right?)

I must say I have seen this kind of thing all over, but please know, not all pony club programs are like the one you witnessed. My daughter and i have been involved in pony club for 12 years now. I have been everything from a pc parent to a club DC and never have our members been like what you described. If this type of behavior went on at rally, regional events or clinics they would be called on it.

Default I feel for ya.

Honestly I do, last year (and I thought I had it bad when I boarded at a barn where BO's wild child ran up and down the isle spraying silly string, cracking whips and rocket caps), I thought I was being DQishly agressive. As in my tiara got too big for my brain when I stood up to campers who insisted on throwing nerf balls, run past, if not through the dressage arena, and rail bird while I was training/trying to leave for lessons and show (you know you're doing xyz wrong... my horse does xyz better....anything you can do I can do better) and their parents (who insisted spawns could ride my mare or my gelding like a camp pony) .

The thing that sent me over the top is when my poor mare had a minor heart attack/serious scare when four kids ran up behind her and started yanking on her tail, and another two three minutes later came out with shaving cream cans and proceeded to spray each other. Never mind the lessons that took up the arena, the nerf balls flying over head in to the mare and foal paddock, or kids were letting the dogs loose on the property, or big carnivalesq water slides or the school busses were taking up parking space for regular boarders and countless other things that were dangerous. No what did it for me was could we ride the pony and shaving cream.

They eliminated the use of the indoor, the outdoor, the grounds, and basically the time I could ride (pt job at panara in the afternoon, rode in the morning) and where I could ride.

I got so fed up, and so angry at them after I tried again and again to please their schedule and work around the kids (got up at 6am to ride by 8). Finally I said to both the barn owner and the bloody camp manager, that I'm a paying boarder, I have every right, if not equal right to be here on the grounds and ride, when and where I want, as so long as it is not considered off limits within the rules and contract that I signed to. And either you stop interfering and keep the kids in check or consider this a final warning prior to lawsuit.

Shiz hit the fan. I was the outcast of the barn, no boarder would talk to me, they called me a child hater, a DQ, an overbearing you-know what for not allowing kids to feed my two sugar. For insisting that I had the privledge, nay right to use the arena and grounds I got my butt bbq'ed.

I moved, and I don't think I landed much better, but I definately left oz and ended up in wonderland (where people believe in leaving their horses loose on the grounds for grazing and riding their horses bareback in a pasture with a halter and no helmet).

But yes, I feel, and know your plight. Hang tough girl.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Quote Originally Posted by tempichange
    Honestly I do, last year (and I thought I had it bad when I boarded at a barn where BO's wild child ran up and down the isle spraying silly string, cracking whips and rocket caps), I thought I was being DQishly agressive. As in my tiara got too big for my brain when I stood up to campers who insisted on throwing nerf balls, run past, if not through the dressage arena, and rail bird while I was training/trying to leave for lessons and show (you know you're doing xyz wrong... my horse does xyz better....anything you can do I can do better) and their parents (who insisted spawns could ride my mare or my gelding like a camp pony) .

The thing that sent me over the top is when my poor mare had a minor heart attack/serious scare when four kids ran up behind her and started yanking on her tail, and another two three minutes later came out with shaving cream cans and proceeded to spray each other. Never mind the lessons that took up the arena, the nerf balls flying over head in to the mare and foal paddock, or kids were letting the dogs loose on the property, or big carnivalesq water slides or the school busses were taking up parking space for regular boarders and countless other things that were dangerous. No what did it for me was could we ride the pony and shaving cream.

They eliminated the use of the indoor, the outdoor, the grounds, and basically the time I could ride (pt job at panara in the afternoon, rode in the morning) and where I could ride.

I got so fed up, and so angry at them after I tried again and again to please their schedule and work around the kids (got up at 6am to ride by 8). Finally I said to both the barn owner and the bloody camp manager, that I'm a paying boarder, I have every right, if not equal right to be here on the grounds and ride, when and where I want, as so long as it is not considered off limits within the rules and contract that I signed to. And either you stop interfering and keep the kids in check or consider this a final warning prior to lawsuit.

Shiz hit the fan. I was the outcast of the barn, no boarder would talk to me, they called me a child hater, a DQ, an overbearing you-know what for not allowing kids to feed my two sugar. For insisting that I had the privledge, nay right to use the arena and grounds I got my butt bbq'ed.

I moved, and I don't think I landed much better, but I definately left oz and ended up in wonderland (where people believe in leaving their horses loose on the grounds for grazing and riding their horses bareback in a pasture with a halter and no helmet).

But yes, I feel, and know your plight. Hang tough girl.

Wow. Sounds like you live in my part of Missouri. Took me 6 barns in 8 years to find a wonderful, knowledgable barn owner and trainer. Maybe it can happen for you too.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

"Wow. Sounds like you live in my part of Missouri. Took me 6 barns in 8 years to find a wonderful, knowledgable barn owner and trainer. Maybe it can happen for you too."

Actually, kentucky and I know I won't be fully happy until I get my own property, complete with insane neighbors:-D
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Quote Originally Posted by tempichange
    Actually, kentucky and I know I won't be fully happy until I get my own property, complete with insane neighbors:-D
    Be careful what you wish for
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

So far all my neighbors seem to be okay. They do let their huntin' dogs run loose, and think I'm the crazy one for taking mine to the vet when she needs it, and keep her on a leash, in the house, or kenneled.

However, they all have livestock and have told me if their dogs chase my horses, that I'm more than welcome to shoot the critters. Haven't needed to shoot 'n shovel yet, but it's nice to know I have the option.

I might be jumping the gun breathing a sigh of relief though, because I have two new sets of neighbors coming in. The one couple is from CT, and I've met the husband. He seems nice enough, and they have horses too. The second couple is from NJ, and they're very young and polite. They also have several horses.

I just hope we all stay friendly, since the CT neighbors and I will be sharing a fenceline along part of the property.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Default Exception to the rule...

I'm a DC for a branch here in Central Ontario, and I can tell you that while I certainly have seen some interesting training methods (thank GOD nothing like what you're describing!), they are the exception as opposed to the rule. In our area, the majority of the kids are capable, knowledgeable horsemen and riders, receiving qualified instruction.

You are certainly NOT permitted to ride 2 year olds in Pony Club activities. In our region, horses have to be 4 to participate in flat activities (dressage, games, etc.) and 5 to participate over fences.

If you, or someone you know, is interested in pursuing this, you can get the contact information for your local people off the pony club website www.canadianponyclub.org . Choose your region (you would be Alberta South? Or Alberta Central?), and discuss your concerns with the Regional Chair. If you can provide details, they will send a Visiting Commissioner out to check out the situation.

Oh, and in terms of the Hell Spawn--the person you saw was likely a personal coach or {shudder} the branch instructor. If you want to talk to the person in charge, contact the District Commissioner. You should be able to get a name/email address off the PC regional page.

Thank you so much
    I'll be talking to my friends and I think I might talk to the Chair and see (at the very least) if they can do anything

Unfortunately, even worthy organizations like Pony Club have problems with ego-driven folks who can ignore rules and reason! Hopefully you can report to someone who can see for themselves what is going on and force this person to act properly or (more likely) remove the Pony Club title from her.
    BTW, my horse was nearly killed by a self-proclaimed "Pony Club Instructor" When my horse was found to have gorged himelf on grain overnight at a boarding barn, the clueless barn owners asked this "Instructor" what to do. She advised them to turn the horse out to pasture and not to bother me about it, the horse is fine
    If I hadnt come out anyway, he likely would have died as it took eight days of intesive treatment before we knew he would make it! I never knew if she was really officially an instructor as I moved my horse as soon as he could travel.

Default spawns

That is just plain rediculous and sad. Now we know that the childrens trainer have been telling their parents they're awesome when they're really not. So i guess it's just this trainer feeding all this information to their parents who are uneducated horse people.

As far as pony club goes, i don't know much about it. What i do know is that you SHOULD NOT have a one year old undersaddle nevermind being beaten with a whip when he's curious as to what's going on. And i probably would have hit the kid if she told me i hadn't trained green horses before. The big problem with this is the trainer...these kids would be better off with real, quality instruction.

I'm just speechless as to how this person is the trainer and supports beating horses who have clearly (from what you've stated) done nothing. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER TIE ANYTHING TO SOMETHING THAT WILL ENABLE THE RIDER TO CONTROL THE HORSE! That's just common sense. If something ever happened to that girl liability would be HUGEEEE. OK before i burst a blood vessel i'm gonna stop.

Good Luck with your neighbors!
    -Desmond

"If you're dating a guy who rides horses, Raise your cup. If not, Raise your standards."

Angry just a little exaggerating, no?

i know what occurrence you are referring to.... the child was about 60 lbs, the pony was not being hit (she wasn't holding a crop), the pony is almost 3 and nearly fully grown, how much do you weigh? in comparison to your horse? the pony did not have a bridle and no bit in its mouth so couldn't be jerked on the mouth (nothing in his mouth) and the child was corrected. the riders were not jumping 3'6"... i don't know where to EVEN start with the overstatements, lies, exaggerations.... but i guess the drama is much more interesting than the truth..... posters -- be aware that what you read is far far removed from the truth .... i would be really keen or reading what your neighbours story is, given they are 'devil spawn'.... must be hard to be so mean-spirited all the time!

oh, and the kid doesn't know what the word 'desensitize' means.... so doubt she said it! i'm so glad i saw this - and can now read all these posts with much more skepticism, what a pack of lies! but why don't you return and we'll watch you ride - you appear to be very athletic, and we can all learn from you!

oooooooo....trainwreck! Yippee! Where's my beer & popcorn?