The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP! My 4 dogs got skunked!

So I'm barn sitting where I keep my mare and am also watching the farm's 3 dogs (2 labs and a st. bernard) and also have my black lab. Last night I was taking the pack for a nice moonlight stroll around the hay field and all 4 of them got sprayed by a skunk. I think the choc lab and the st. bernard got it the worst, but the other 2 also smell. I gave them all a bath with dish soap (I thought I had read somewhere once that dish soap was helpful) and it helped a little but I am looking for any other remedies. Are there any shampoos people have had luck with, or other home remedies? I'll try anything!!

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/skunk.html Here's the recipe, and definitely don't save any leftovers. You'll have to multiply this for the number and size of animals, but it should do the trick. Leave on the dogs for at least 10 minutes, and rinse thoroughly.

You can also use Arm & Hammer non-gel toothpaste, but that will require a lot of tubes for this crowd. Buy extras of whatever formula you use, because I'm betting you'll have to repeat this within a week, because they'll chase another skunk.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thank you Jan!! I'll try it!

i know sometimes people will shave off most of their hair, and keep bathing, but it's winter, so i don't recommend that Sorry.

If I had a St. Bernard get skunked, I'd haul that sucker to a pro groomer. If you insist on DIY, baking soda shampoo. I'd also do an ACV rinse.

When my dog got skunked, I'd immediately haul off to the wash rack, then usually re-bathe him 12 or 24hrs later.

I have had a lot of success with vinegar and water douche. Get dog thoroughly wet with douche, massage into skin and lightly towel dry. Having it already in the bottle makes it easy to apply. They smell like a salad.

If you could figure out how strong you could probably just use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar that has been diluted.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

IME nothing is going to make it go away entirely. The bath in Dawn dish soap is the best you can do, repeat as often as you care to, but they're going to smell like skunk for a while. And when they get wet in a couple months it will all come back! LOL
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

what Jan said. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a dash of dish soap. Make it a paste consistency and glob it on. My dog got sprayed directly in the face and this worked the best. The smell wasn't entirely gone (I couldn't put it anywhere near her eyes) but it was improved.