The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another saddle thread: Prestige

Can I get any feedback about Prestige saddles please? The good, the bad and the ugly. Specifically the dressage monoflap. Any information would be appreciated.

www.prestigeitaly.com

Thanks!
    Last edited by Come Shine; Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

thank you for this!

I ride in the Prestige D1DK. I LOVE my saddle. K is what stands for close contacts aka single flap. It is an extremely comfortable saddle, really truly. It puts you close to the horse, which I love. I tried on a few other dressage saddles before I bought this one, but all the other ones felt as if I was sitting a few stories above the horse. With my D1DK I feel much more in contact with the horse and it's a feeling I love. The saddle is very comfortable, and I think helps me sit my big moving mare, too.

It also has more "room" in the front, so should give more room for your horse to move and make her gaits better and etc. And the saddle should also fit small backed horses.

I bought mine a couple of years ago, when the D1 had come out quite recently, they have these new zero or whatever models too, but the basic D1 models doesn't look any different. If this saddle fits your horse and you, and your price range, I definitely recommend it!

I can't comment on the dressage saddles, but I've had my Prestige cc saddle for more than 10 years and I LOVE it! Actually makes me sad that I've switched to dressage now and don't use it much. It's held up great, is very comfortable and I get compliments on it all the time. It was the only saddle I could find at the time to fit both my TB and myself.

My last dressage saddle was a 2000D. Super comfortable and easy to ride in, if you like the more supportive type of saddle. Narrowish twist, nice balence. Sold it because the points on the tree were not to picky mare's liking. She needed wither gussets. The leather was beautiful and actually held up to quite a bit while still looking new. Definitely quality. If it fits you and your horse, go for it. I would suggest Ann through Equestrian Imports, fantastic to work with.
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

Oh, another thing I forgot to add, the Prestige saddles - all of them - have plastic saddle tree, so you can actually adjust the tree if your horses changes shape. At least to a degree.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will definitely be taking a closer look at this brand!

I loved my Prestige CC, so had planned to buy a Prestige Dressage...but unfortunately for me they do not suite my body type (tall/thin). A former boarder had one though, and she loved it. Stood up well to wear, and really helped her position.

When I was saddle shopping Liz Weir at Bahr Saddlery was very helpful (& honest) with regards to the Prestige line

I have an Optimax with what they called the open seat. I love my saddle. It fits me well and the trees can be changed out (was told for around $300-500) to fit if/when your horse's shape changes.

I loved the cc back in the day but could never afford one of my own. This Optimax wasn't top of the line price-wise but it wasn't exactly cheap, either, and the quality shows. I've been very happy with mine and would buy another.

I had an older Prestige for a couple of years that I loved. I sold it recently because my guy needed more gussets to get a good fit as his back changed. A brand new one wasn't in my budget, but I would absolutely consider buying one in the future if the need arises.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I have an Optimax with what they called the open seat. I love my saddle. It fits me well and the trees can be changed out (was told for around $300-500) to fit if/when your horse's shape changes.
    Prestige trees are made of a composite material that can be machine adjusted throughout the lifetime of the saddle. Up or down one size from the original. Cost is about $150 per change. :-)
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    When I was saddle shopping Liz Weir at Bahr Saddlery was very helpful (& honest) with regards to the Prestige line
    That's who I spoke with and must say I am very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Van Doren View Post
    Prestige trees are made of a composite material that can be machine adjusted throughout the lifetime of the saddle. Up or down one size from the original. Cost is about $150 per change. :-)
    It's actually even better than that. The standard advertising shtick is "2 cm in either direction," which is theoretically two sizes in either direction, but that actually only means "2 cm in one go-round." You can heat the tree up, stretch it 2 cm, then cool it all the way back down (which takes about 24 hours), and go again. I've confirmed this with a reputable Prestige dealer who has done adjustments for years. The Prestige trees also carry a lifetime warranty.

That said, it's hard to comment on individual saddles in their lineup. They build a wide variety of saddles at a wide variety of price points. They do *tend* to be more on the narrow-twisted side with a curvy panel, but I can name exceptions in their lineup to both rules. For identifying an ideal model, it's best to talk with a knowledgeable Prestige dealer. In Canada, Liz Weir is definitely the one to talk with. In the US, I'd talk with either Paul at VTO Saddlery (Virginia) or Ann Forrest at Equestrian Imports (Florida).

Also, be careful with seat sizes. Some of the Prestige tack runs true to size, but much of it runs "off" from what it's marked. A Prestige 16" will often ride and measure as 16.5". A Prestige 17" often rides and measures as 17.25" or 17.5". The Prestige 18" usually rides and measures as a true 18." But again, YMMV depending on model.

In addition to the info you've already gotten, I'll add that these saddles are forward-balance fit, which means they're designed to get the rider's weight as close to the horse's withers/center of gravity as possible. While I prefer saddles that fit along the SMS guidelines (spreading the rider's weight over as large a bearing surface as possible without impinging on the shoulder blades or going past T18), forward-balance saddles can be a big help with shorter-backed horses. And I'll ditto jn4j's recommendation of Ann Forrest - she's a great fitter, and deals with the forward-balance saddles like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Van Doren View Post
    Wow! That's expensive! It's about 20-40€ here. And the first few changes are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke View Post
    Wow! That's expensive! It's about 20-40€ here. And the first few changes are free.
    I suspect it's a reflection of lack of distribution of Prestige in NA ... VTO in the US used to advertise free changes over the lifetime of the horse the saddle was initially purchased for (I was very excited as there is no local fitter that does the Prestige trees ... UNTIL I calculated my shipping cost each way (I'm in Canada) ), Bahr had advertised 1st change free (shipping costs would still run in the $150 range).

Re the seat sizes, the Venus K dressage actually runs small - local shop has a gorgeous 17.5 that definitely rides as a 17.
    The quality of workmanship on the saddle is outstanding & I was very interested in the "waterproof" leather (sadly Liz Weir said no way in heck would that saddle ever fit the Welsh cob )

I had a Galileo that worked great for me (tall/thin). I'm still kicking myself for selling it when my horse filled out... she'd changed shape so I didn't want to spend the money to widen it just to not have it fit, and I didn't know anyone with a wider version to try out.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I suspect it's a reflection of lack of distribution of Prestige in NA ... VTO in the US used to advertise free changes over the lifetime of the horse the saddle was initially purchased for (I was very excited as there is no local fitter that does the Prestige trees ... UNTIL I calculated my shipping cost each way (I'm in Canada) ), Bahr had advertised 1st change free (shipping costs would still run in the $150 range).

Re the seat sizes, the Venus K dressage actually runs small - local shop has a gorgeous 17.5 that definitely rides as a 17.
    The quality of workmanship on the saddle is outstanding & I was very interested in the "waterproof" leather (sadly Liz Weir said no way in heck would that saddle ever fit the Welsh cob )
    It's quite funny how much greater the price is there! And the tree sizing can't be changed just one size, my saddle has gone up QUITE a few centimetres. And then down a bit, again. Because with training the horses change their muscles at different parts of their back/shoulder etc. I would have about gone mad if I would have had to change my whole saddle every time I took it to the retailer to get heated up and adjusted for 24 hours.

But the person doing this has to be knowledgable! I know of a person who was in business of adjusting the Kieffer saddles. She tried to adjust a Prestige saddle and it broke in half! Well, someone took their Kieffer saddle to them for adjusting and the tree broke in half.

I don't remember if I tried the 17 D1. That's the one I tried on my HORSES and it looked great, so I ordered it. But I can't remember if I sat on it myself. But I have long legs and some junk in the trunk so the 18 is great for me. There is nothing more horrible than a rider sitting in a size too small saddle and stuff is flowing everywhere.

I remember trying the 17 Optimax and it pushed my leg too back. So, from my experience, can't complain that they seat sizing is too small.

I also have an Optimax and I love it. I had it built for my Fjord, but it fits my current horse, a paint mare, perfectly also. It has a narrow twist and feels very close to the horse.