The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Update #58-Dressage saddles that WON'T make me feel like I'm being split apart?

I'm so frustrated with my dressage saddle search.

I sold my Passier a few years ago because I hated it. It never fit me well. My knee would actually go over the flap and the knee roll would dig into me. The seat was too small and it always pushed me forward. Not a fun position when you're trying to learn to love dressage with a new OTTB!! haha

I've been sitting in SO many saddles and I promising myself not to buy one until it's really comfy.

It seems like every saddle I fit in is too wide for me. Like my legs are being pushed apart and I'm going to split up the middle! In addition to the spreading of the cheeks, I also feel pressure in my seat bones.

I ride in a simple Possoa jumping saddle. I've never needed a bio-seat or anything special. I don't know why all these dressage saddles are so uncomfortable for me

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Meredith Clark; Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM.

I ride in an older Spirig saddle and love it!! Have never been comfortable in a dressage saddle before, probably because I am a H/J convert so, like you, always rode in flat close contact saddles. If a Spirig will fit your horse, might be worth a try. Good luck with the search!!

Look for a narrow twist. I've felt your pain.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep! Find a narrow twist and your problems will be solved!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

A lot of dressage saddle descriptions don't mention twist, and there's only so many tack stores to find ones to sit in

I third the narrow twist. If you know the saddle's make and number you should be able to find info about twist.

Also this thread on COTH has info
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...h-narrow-twist
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I find that my Neidersuess has a pretty narrow twist (something I struggled to find) and is very minimalist in the blocks, which I think can contribute to that split in two feeling.

I will say that although I don't luuuuurve my dressage saddle (mostly because it prohibits my frog legs that are my security) it does not split me up the middle. It's a County competitor but an older one. All the newer saddles I've sat in seem really wide so maybe try an older dressage saddle? Added bonus is that it might be cheaper???

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I find that my Neidersuess has a pretty narrow twist (something I struggled to find) and is very minimalist in the blocks, which I think can contribute to that split in two feeling.
    So your Neidersuess does NOT make you feel like you're being split in two? I found one on ebay I really like in a 17.5, I can sometimes be an 18, do you think I'd be ok in the 17.5?

This site tells you about the twist; http://www.hobsonschoicesaddlery.com/dressage1.html
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I was just talking to a saddle shop about the same problem today. They suggested a monoflap Prestige D1.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    So your Neidersuess does NOT make you feel like you're being split in two? I found one on ebay I really like in a 17.5, I can sometimes be an 18, do you think I'd be ok in the 17.5?
    I didn't write terribly clearly, did I? But, no. I do feel split in two in it. I like it quite a lot, actually.

As as for seat size, they aren't terribly deep so you may be ok. That being said, I often tell people shopping that you can often size up half or a full size in dressage saddles. But that's more true, I find, of the very deep saddles.

Got it!

This one on ebay is calling my name.. especially with the new "pay for it later" program or whatever. I'm going to call a few consignment stores tomorrow to see if there's one I can sit in.

Yep. You want a narrow twist. As someone whose horses are generally a wide and who needs a narrow twist, I feel your pain! I have had older Counties that worked and am currently in an Albion (I think it is an SL -- the SlK is wider).
    Check with someone like Trumbull Mountain about what might work for your horse in a narrow twist.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

KN only comes in 2 sizes--43cm (~16.75) and 45cm (~17.5+)
    I often take an 18", am 5'9"/long legged and LOVED my KN, felt fine in the 45. It was my favorite dressage saddle ever. FWIW I didn't think the twist was all that narrow, kind of average for a dressage saddle, but really loved its feel.
    My fitter convinced me that it didn't fit my horse, nor would it fit any horse I am likely to buy (I guess it is best for very curved back horses, vs my OTTBs?) but if it fits your horse I recommend highly.

My Stubben Parzival D is very narrow but more like a long flapped jump saddle than a modern dressage saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    KN only comes in 2 sizes--43cm (~16.75) and 45cm (~17.5+)
    I often take an 18", am 5'9"/long legged and LOVED my KN, felt fine in the 45. It was my favorite dressage saddle ever. FWIW I didn't think the twist was all that narrow, kind of average for a dressage saddle, but really loved its feel.
    My fitter convinced me that it didn't fit my horse, nor would it fit any horse I am likely to buy (I guess it is best for very curved back horses, vs my OTTBs?) but if it fits your horse I recommend highly.
    That's why I'm nervous about buying on from ebay.

Don't flame me for this, but I don't really subscribe to pro saddle fitting. The experience I've had with saddle fitters always ended up with them trying to sell me to a specific brand, or thinking the saddle I have will be great... once the do a whole bunch of adjustments to it. I also once had 3 different saddle fitters tell me 3 different things about the same horse. It's frustrating!

4 members found this post helpful.

Some saddles in general have a narrower twist. Passier saddles and many older style saddles. The newer monoflaps have a narrower twist most of the time. However, it makes no difference if it doesn't fit your horse so seeing conformation shots would make it easier to offer more educated suggestions.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    That's why I'm nervous about buying on from ebay.
    Don't buy from ebay unless you have a very good notion of exactly what you are buying - & that it will suit the horse, & that it will suit the rider

Don't flame me for this, but I don't really subscribe to pro saddle fitting.
    In which case, ebay away

I ride in a simple Possoa jumping saddle.
    Why not try their nod to dressage saddles then ...
    or the previous version (originally in a fixed tree, then the exchange tree - both should still be readily available used)

Meredith, the Middleburg Tack Exchange has two KNs in 17.5. And they ship saddles for trial.

2 members found this post helpful.