The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default I think Bud's just popped a splint.

He's limping at the trot, and he has a hard bump on the inside of his leg an inch or two below the knee. He does not have a similar lump on the other leg. There is no heat or swelling other than the hard bump, although there is a fairly recent cut a couple of inches below it. He does show signs of pain when I feel around the lump--i.e jerks his leg away.

I have both Voltaren gel and DMSO. It's not quite the kind of weather for cold hosing, but I can do that as well.

Do I need to stall him for a time?

Does he need to be hauled 100 miles to an equine vet?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

When Seven popped a splint--in a very similar manner to Bud, although minus the lameness--I put Voltaren gel on her for a few weeks and called it good. She still has a very tiny lump you'd be hard pressed to find.

Since he's ouchy, I might stall and wrap him with the Voltaren to reduce the inflammation and pain, and perhaps call the vet about bute or previcoxx.

I wouldn't worry about hauling 100 miles to the vet, unless his lameness doesn't resolve with some rest. Worst case, the splint bone is fractured and rubbing in a weird way and needs to be removed. But treat at home and give him some time before worrying about that.

(Do note that the people Voltaren gel STINGS on broken skin. Seven started running away from me because she had a little ding like Bud does. I had to catch her for her daily torture session.)

I just dealt with a fresh splint - my mare was hopping lame with it. My vet gave me a mixture of DMSO, Dex, and Serapin. I put it on the splint every other day. It's almost gone and she's completely sound on it. Good luck with yours.

You are supposed to ice it a couple times a day for the first 3 days and keep it wrapped for 4-5. Definitely limit turnout (and no riding) for 2-3 weeks while the bone heals because bucking or any friskiness that twists the leg could make things worse. I was told hand walk/trot ONLY so no twisting can occur.

My horse was not even lame and those are the instructions I was given. If your horse is actually lame I would get a vet out.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The lump is much smaller today and still no heat. It's still hard. I haven't seen him trot, but he is definitely not at all lame at the walk. He did lose a shoe on that foot, so I've called the farrier to either reshoe that foot or take the shoe off the other foot.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire