The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Now HERE'S a stupid question! Which is too short? The flap or my boot?

Got new saddle. Sorry I waited as long as I did, because holy cow, my horse loves the thing. I thought that the flap was too short for me... but looking at the pictures, I'm actually not sure if the discomfort that I'm feeling is that the flap is too short, or whether trainer and I just think it is because my boots have just seriously dropped (which now that I look at them, they REALLY have done in the last few months) which is creating the visual and tactical illusion that the flap is too short. In other words: I know the boots are too low, but is that the cause of my perception about the flap, or is the flap actually too short?

It would be really weird if the flap were too short (saddle is very similar model to my old one with the same flap configuration) which is why I am second guessing myself...

Most comfortable stirrup length: http://i39.tinypic.com/nnvby8.jpg
    One hole up to jump: http://i42.tinypic.com/33ljsjk.jpg
    One hole down to flat (too long for use on this horse): http://i43.tinypic.com/2hclpnm.jpg

Just for kicks and giggles, I did a clumsy photoshop job to put my boot back where it belongs to see if that changed my feeling that the flap was too short.
    Photo 1 (working length): http://i44.tinypic.com/f0dhsh.jpg
    Photo 2 (up one): http://i43.tinypic.com/es6kw4.jpg
    Photo 3 (down one): http://i43.tinypic.com/105p4kk.jpg

In pictures, the seat looks too small too, but that's deceiving because that's great as is.

For comparison, different saddle with same flap configuration and same boots 2 months ago. The stirrup leathers are also the same, and they're adjusted to the same length as in the first picture. http://i40.tinypic.com/2ijryab.jpg
    Last edited by Renn/aissance; Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Your boots are too low.

I think the new saddle looks just fine.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with alibi! Boots too low, saddle fine...to your advantage, boots or half chaps are way cheaper than a saddle!
    Last edited by Whistler; Dec. 20, 2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Wine

5 members found this post helpful.

Saddle looks fine. Boot height looks short.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps the seat is a smidge mini smide small-- but I think the next half size in the seat would be big-- so if you prefer a touch on the small side-- the size of the saddle looks good to me. I am surprised the drop in the boots is so noticeable. How old are they that they suddenly dropped so much? Or did you leg get a little skinnier?!
    ~Veronica

Saddle looks alright. It being comfortable for both you and the horse is what matters, not look. Boots are definitely too short, but that's an easy fix.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Oh lucky you... an opportunity to get some of those gorgeous tops added onto your boots. If you are a bit adventurous you can even get the ones with a subtle pattern on them. Yes the boots are definitely the issue. I personally think your photoshop attempt still looks too short as well.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

3 members found this post helpful.

I think your saddle looks about just right when your stirrups are in jumping position, however I do say the flap looks a smidge short. I have heard that the flap should fall about 2/3 of the way down your calf. I am sure other posters will correct me on the accuracy of that comment

If you are comfortable in the saddle, it does not affect your position, and your HORSE is comforable in it--get some swanky boot tops and call it a day!
    Admitted breechaholic and bargain hunter.

The saddle if anything, is only maybe 1/2" short but otherwise is lovely (I have short legs and my next saddle yours is the flap length I desire greatly )....the boots sadly are short and I think that's what you're feeling! They have definately dropped a lot! Once you get some lovely toppers put on (or a new pair) I think you'll feel a huge difference
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    I have heard that the flap should fall about 2/3 of the way down your calf. I am sure other posters will correct me on the accuracy of that comment
    1/3.

I think the boots are too short...and am surprised to see how much they've fallen in just a very short time. They also don't look that new, so to see them fall that much after they are already broken is surprising as well.

I will say that the shape of the flap when your stirrup is long for flatwork is not quite right. It's particularly forward, too much so, IMO. It is even too forward at your "comfortable length". However, it looks really good at jumping length.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Boots...a Christmas present to yourself ???

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm glad the saddle rep asked me to take pictures- I am going to be embarrassed when I call him back. The boots are 2 years old so I'm also surprised at the drop, but I've been walking more than I used to, so I guess my leg has changed shape. New ones are really not in the picture right now since I just bought the saddle, but maybe by the time I can afford them some brand or other will have come out with a stock size that actually fits. These were a cheap pair that fit OK out of the box and I got them when I thought I was going to stop competing. So much for that...
    - Harry Dresden

Your saddle looks a slight bit short (not on the flat--fine there); your boots look very short.

agreed, saddle flap a bit short, boots a lot short!

I'm going to agree with everyone else that your boots are too short. But if it doesn't bother you, who cares. However, I do think your saddle is too narrow for your horse.

I actually think, if we're really nit picking, I'd like to slightly move the IRON and reposition your foot and that will bring your leg ever so slightly back underneath you and then the flap will be good even with the shorter stirrup. But now we're SUPER nit picking for real!
    ~Veronica

The drop of your boots does draw attention, but I would like to see how you are in the same saddle, but a half inch larger.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I actually think, if we're really nit picking, I'd like to slightly move the IRON and reposition your foot and that will bring your leg ever so slightly back underneath you and then the flap will be good even with the shorter stirrup. But now we're SUPER nit picking for real!
    Not nit picking at all. Having the iron out on the tip of the toe is throwing lower leg and knee slightly forward (remember the line is from heel to hip to ear standing still). Notice right foot rolled outside on little toe as well taking knee off and rider pinching with knee to compensate. Let the leg drop with iron under ball of foot to support and foot flat or slightly weighted inside with more weight in heels (even if they dont flex down dramatically). Think that minor position tweak is going to solve the illusion the flap is too short.

Think that will also center you right in the sweet spot seatwise, it's not too small either

I had the same problem for quite awhile. Amazing when fixed. Any way you can go to a plain fillis iron? I switched back from fancy bendy ones and it made proper foot placement really easy with no discomfort..I was probably trying to stand on my toes with my left foot rolled outside all along and the fancy irons let me while the heavier fillis encouraged proper placement.

Anyway, no worries with the saddle and I can live with your boots, seen worse.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    I'm going to agree with everyone else that your boots are too short. But if it doesn't bother you, who cares. However, I do think your saddle is too narrow for your horse.
    I can see why you think that from the pictures, but fortunately, that is not the case!

I'm dealing with ankle and knee injuries which have affected where I can comfortably place my foot in the stirrup (also the reason I use a wide tread lightweight stirrup- fillis iron is not an option if I want to put any weight in my heels. I dragged them out for a medal final earlier this year and deeply regretted it.) Regardless, I'll give your suggestions on repositioning the foot a shot. I'm also going to go back to paddock boots and half chaps for a bit. At the very least, the paddocks actually fit my foot, whereas my field boots are a half size too big to get the height I needed. I'm also going to stick the saddle on another horse whose build puts my leg in a different place, just to double check. I suspect that I will owe the rep a phone call with an "I'm sorry that I'm crazy, but the saddle is great, Merry Christmas!" apology.
    - Harry Dresden

Part of the reason the saddle looks narrow, I think, is your photos were not scaled properly and they became skewed width-wise. But the boots are DEFINITELY too short for you! If it's causing you pain, get a pair of half chaps and paddock boots while you save for a new pair. The Tredstep Donatellos are sub-$300, though…
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014