The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is the market really THIS bad? Beautiful mare, very reasonable IMO...not takers??

She's been on CL for a couple of weeks.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/4233795924.html

No papers but obviously this mare is quality. Said to be 10 yo, big, alpha and powerful (maybe that's why?) , UTD, sound, healthy...hasn't been ridden in a while ( red flag??) green, not finished, money not the most important factor he said. Of course I LIKE a forward powerful horse.

yeah, I called but I can't do it...so I thought I'd pass it on. I can go check her out!! The guy works for a Vet so I'd be more inclined to believe what he says. He said it breaks his heart to part with her.

I suppose Florida is in riding season, maybe the horse is just priced to cheap (and advertised on CL...)

But dang, she does look great!

I don't like Quarter Horses but still think that's a beautiful mare!
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    She's been on CL for a couple of weeks.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/4233795924.html

No papers but obviously this mare is quality. Said to be 10 yo, big, alpha and powerful (maybe that's why?) , UTD, sound, healthy...hasn't been ridden in a while ( red flag??) green, not finished, money not the most important factor he said. Of course I LIKE a forward powerful horse.

yeah, I called but I can't do it...so I thought I'd pass it on. I can go check her out!! The guy works for a Vet so I'd be more inclined to believe what he says. He said it breaks his heart to part with her.
    A 10 year old, green, 'alpha' and powerful horse is a hard sell at any price, any area, and any breed. Add that she's had time off, and I wouldn't want the horse for free.

17 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it's really that bad. One of us went from $8500 to $1, with papers and great breeding. Now in this permanent home, and costing almost as much to maintain as the $$$$$$ WB. It's the upkeep and board and vet and shoeing that deters many from buying horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    A 10 year old, green, 'alpha' and powerful horse is a hard sell at any price, any area, and any breed. Add that she's had time off, and I wouldn't want the horse for free.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. I wasn't that impressed when I saw the picture. Looks like one of those bulldog-built halter types that aren't really great for anything under saddle. I'd pass on her too.

7 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't impressed with the mare.

But I've got a QH mare, Beginner safe! Red dun 15 hands trail rides and has been used for cow sorting and penning (I could go on and on but don't want to get in trouble for advertising) and have had zero hits off craigslist. AND SHE'S UNDER $1,000!!! I have her on Facebook and have had some interest but no one has come to look at her yet... She's a great mare and it isn't her fault we are selling her, we just do not ride her enough to justify keeping her.

ETA: that in the last week I have rented out my townhouse and sold a washer and dryer on craigslist within 3 hours of posting!

It depends on what you're selling, where, and what job they do. I had a nice draft x mare, 8 years old, 16.2 that I was riding for a friend. After foxhunting her a few times I was getting a lot of interest at asking price and ended up buying her myself .

It's hard to find big, comfortable, sound, athletic horses that are super in the hunt field. Add in snaffle mouth and cute jump?

That mare may well be nice but an unfinished horse at 10 is a hard sell.

I know that as a foxhunter I would not buy a horse that wasn't proven out in the hunt field because that's what I do and a horse that won't hunt, or isn't fun to hunt is a liability.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have to agree that she's overpriced.

Pretty only gets you so far, and older and green, out of work, and unpapered mare are all pretty big negatives to overcome. The $1K market is pretty deep in my area, and you can buy a lot more than just pretty with it. You can also buy much better prospects (younger, or at least papered if older, etc).

She may be a nice mare, but she's a tough sale. You might recommend he take some video of her doing whatever she can do -- it'll help her stand out from all the crowd a bit.

4 members found this post helpful.

A difficult horse is hard to sell for any price. Especially out of work and green. It's not the market, it's the challenge/lack of experience/risk.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

7 members found this post helpful.

Interesting that the ad now doesn't say any of that! She's about $1,000 too expensive. 10 years old, alpha, powerful, hasn't been ridden recently, and green? No thanks at that price.

3 members found this post helpful.

Does the owner know how she's bred? She looks like she could have some halter lines based on her build, and that could mean some Impressive blood and a risk of HYPP. Her papers might've been purposely misplaced since they'd be marked if she's N/H for HYPP.

Might not be the case at all, but a thought.

Pretty is as pretty does.

4 members found this post helpful.

For a $1000 price point, the seller would be wise to ship to a local trainer for a 30day refresher. Then he could get video and show the mare off to her potential, i.e. what else can she do besides trail? There's a big mismatch between the horse's difficult behavior/training gaps, and the "trail ride-only" market he's advertising her to.

If he can show that she's got talent at barrels, team penning, jumping, etc, then her strong personality may not be as much a problem to that rider demographic. I am not AT ALL saying that trail riding is "lesser than" any other discipline. But from a market demographics POV, IMO that discipline contains a larger percentage of casual riders who want a point-and-shoot horse for relaxed weekend trail rides. Taking regular lessons and working with trainers is not as common as with other disciplines, making a difficult horse more difficult to fix.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

some horses are just a hard sell.we have a small (15 hand) 3'3- 3'6 jumper here.too much for a beginner and too small for bigger rider.she has shown a lot and wins,but no one wants a hot small horse.
    mm

OTOH I coulda sold 2 horses I had last winter about 5 times over for my asking price which wasnt much but more than this mare, kid safe big geldings both of them looked nice doing there jobs & took care of there rider, if a kid can ride it pretty much anyone can. Helping one of those buyers sell her mare--hot tempered & no heart - bloodlines known for making mostly wingnuts, trainer says she rears, try selling THAT in this market!

Around here we call that lead deficiant (sp) even if bullets dont have that much lead in then anymore
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNCruise View Post
    Does the owner know how she's bred? She looks like she could have some halter lines based on her build, and that could mean some Impressive blood and a risk of HYPP. Her papers might've been purposely misplaced since they'd be marked if she's N/H for HYPP.

Might not be the case at all, but a thought.

Pretty is as pretty does.
    That was my first thought when I looked at the pic., Impressive.
    Can he get her tested and then advertise her w/the results?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Location means a lot; I notice lately that the Montana horse market seems a little like demand for good horses has exceeded supply...

That mare would sell fast here.

I want the red dun! Distance and market are everything...
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

10 and green? Overpriced, way overpriced.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I love the look of her and I'd take a risk at that price. $1000 for a quality animal is IMO appropriate.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I liked her looks and that she has a D snaffle...light mouth. He said MONEY WASN'T the important factor...so that would mean make an offer. The ad wasn't changed. It didn't SAY any of those things, I CALLED!!! And thanks for the discussion, I just thought about someone who might just like this horse. She adopted one of the ACC seized horses ( $100) and gave the mare, who reminded me of this one, to her son. The mare was labeled 'difficult', I never had any problem. I'd say no one spent QUALITY time with her before and he LOVES her now. The mare has a job and they respect each other. But she did scare off a number of point and shoot lookers.

I suspect this mare isn't THAT difficult when handled properly. I'll bet she's forward and I like that. I'll bet he's had a lot of yahoos looking. He said he paid $2k 2 yrs ago and the prev. owner paid $5K but papers were lost. I don't think she is the bull doggy Impressive type, she appealed to me maybe reminded me of a Reynolds Rap mare I rode and a RR gelding a friend of mine has.

Now I'm curious!!