The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free OTTB Mare

Blaze is a 6 year old 16.0 hand OTTB mare. She just came off the track in June and was in hunter training. She went to a show on 8/10 with only 1.5 weeks of training and carted my 14 year old sister and I around 2' courses with changes and bringing home a reserve champion. Unfortunately, we found out Blaze has advanced high ringbone arthritis and will not be sound enough to be ridden. Trying to move her ASAP. To good home only as pasture ornament, companion, or broodmare. Picture upon request. J.C. name Blazing Honor
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Sorry forgot to add. Located in Sykesville, MD
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Bump.
    Sire was a multiple graded stakes winner of $1,397,187.00 and participated in the 1997 Breeders' Cup Classic, as well as the 1999 Breeders' Cup Turf. 2nd dam (by Nijinsky II) was a graded stakes winner over $112,000.

2 members found this post helpful.

are you trying to treat it at all? ringbone isn't something you can just "put up" in a pasture and forget about...i remember you posted about this particular mare a week or so ago and mentioned you were trying to save money by pulling her shoes.. just hope you have enough money to treat her.

it is a shame, she is very well bred.
    Last edited by beowulf; Sep. 8, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

My vet did not say anything about treating anything. When I posted her a week ago I thought she had a splint and had the vet out to look. He said it was advanced ringbone. She is pasture sound with it but is not sound enough for riding. He said let her be a pasture ornament or broodmare. No treatment.
    - quoted by Martha Drum

have you gotten a second opinion? never heard of a vet not suggesting some sort of treatment/supplement/pain relieving plan for a horse with advanced arthritis/ringbone. how did vet ascertain the diagnosis? best of luck, she is really cute.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Beowulf. I hope to find her a good home.
    - quoted by Martha Drum

1 members found this post helpful.

I too am surprised by the opinion. my mare has ringbone, and when we discovered it, we treated her with bars/pads and a bit of bute until it fused and she was sound and jumping for over five more years.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you have pictures? Feel free to PM!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Last edited by wishfulthinking711; Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
    - quoted by Martha Drum