The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lab and 'fridge

Yes, I think my lab has figured out how to open the 'fridge.
    This is so not good. A couple of weeks ago he nosed it open when I was there and I just thought either DH or I had not closed it all the way the night before.

Tonight DH caught him after he snagged the leftover mac & cheese out of the fridge. DH shut the fridge and Cooper immediately used his nose to try to flip it open again. The refrigerator now has two chairs in front of it so he can't get to the edge of the door.

On the flip side I have wanted to replace this fridge with a French door with freezer on the bottom. Maybe I can get that sooner rather than later. Coop shouldn't be able to figure out how to open that anytime soon.

My old lab Watson opened the lazy Susan cabinet and ate an entire brand new container of Crisco, including some of the container to get the last lick. He ate confectioners sugar and a few squares of semi-sweet chocolate. We figured he was trying to make brownies.

I put new mouse traps in there to discourage him. He would open that cabinet every couple of days for years just to check the mousetraps were there. I didn't even need to set them after the first week. Somehow I don't think that will work with the fridge.

Anybody else's dog figure out how to open the refrigerator?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Our Bull Terrier noses the fridge open - but he's too stupid to take anything out!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Could you put a bungee cord on the handles? Or something similar? That might be easier than moving the chairs all the time. That's what I have on mine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow at least you can be proud of him. He is resourceful... smart dog?
    Mine is too worried he will get in trouble if he does anything like that... lol

I won't let him read Coth...

No fridge (yet), but...

my border collie knows how to open the toilet lid, and pretty much every door knob in the house (the knob style, lest you think I have those easy lever types). I have to keep a separate key to the bedroom door because he will occasionally lock himself in on accident.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Don't they make some kind of fastener to babyproof the fridge?

Side-by-Side or French Door is the answer. With a side-by-side you could put a baby lock on it if necessary.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

@ Cooper.

Yes, there are child locks for a Fridge.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

This gave me a good laugh. I love that you have 2 very naughty but clever labs.
    My labs are great but haven't figured cabinets or fridges out. Thankfully
    Love it
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Not surprised it was a Lab, LOL!
    That breed thinks with it's stomach. If Jimmy Hoffa had died with a sandwich in his pocket, a lav would have found him pretty fast.

Get the French door fridge and a baby lock. Not only will the lab have to take time to figure that out, you'll love having all that extra space.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    This gave me a good laugh. I love that you have 2 very naughty but clever labs.
    My labs are great but haven't figured cabinets or fridges out. Thankfully
    Love it
    I will be stopping at Lowe's at lunch to see if they have child locks for a standard fridge and maybe check out they French Door fridges while I am there.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

That's hilarious! I have two friends who taught their Labs the best pet trick ever - they would go to the refrigerator and get you a beer on command. They were both so amazingly obedient though that they never figured out they could help themselves!

At least it's not a husky or malamute. When they get into a fridge, you can't get them back out:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ps4b3b9770.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...pscacf37b1.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    At least it's not a husky or malamute. When they get into a fridge, you can't get them back out:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ps4b3b9770.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...pscacf37b1.jpg
    OMG that is too cute. Thankfully Coop is 70 lbs so won't fit.

Good thing! Labs aren't as addicted to cold weather as those pups are either. But both breeds are chow-hounds when it comes to food.

Do check out the French door fridges. I swapped my old one out a couple years ago and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Soooo much room! And a surprising amount of room in the pull out freezer too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Refrigerator child locks are less than $10. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...20Child%20Lock Sorry, but I can't stand French Door fridges.

Mine (lab) hasn't figured out the fridge, but she did figure out my mom's oven! After Christmas dinner (about 10 yrs ago) my mom left the turkey in the oven to "keep safe" (it was too big for the fridge and she didn't have time to break it up into pieces after we ate) until we returnd from a friends house.

Came home to find out that Gracie had pulled on the tea towel and got the turkey out of the oven........yep, turkey = gone; gracie=long long walk to get the massive amount of poops out....sigh.......on the upside, those splintery turkey bones (after a vet visit to make sure) didn't affect her one iota!!!

Moral of this story: NEVER underestimate a lab...........
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

OMG, those dogs in the fridge are awesome! Maybe they just wanted to feel like home (the frozen tundra)!

I have Chessies (and a french door fridge) so I don't have to worry about this. But DO NOT leave anything remotely edible on the counters. They have both been known to counter surf. On the 4th of July, my 17 month old pup ate 3 sticks of butter off the counter so I told everyone that under no circumstances is she to be allowed in the house. As my sister-in-law and I were going inside, SIL accidently let her in. I RAN after Kali and by the time I got to the kitchen, she had devoured a half a cookie sheet of sugar cookies.

The only fancy tricks my dogs know is how to get the apples off the apple tree - just nudge them with your nose, and they both can grab a quarter off the bottom of their water bowls...

My lab and young cat have worked out a system where she knocks food off the counter directly into his waiting jaws. My SO hasn't seemed to realize that this happens every single time he leaves food out on the counter, so in the past two weeks, the cat has fed the lab: a whole bag of sea salt and vinegar potato chips, a couple of slices of pizza, apple cobbler leftovers, most of a bag of shredded cheddar cheese and a couple of apples.

3 members found this post helpful.

This thread is hilarious, and making me a bit happier we don't have a dog at the moment.
    Alis volat propriis.