The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Skunk encounter

Wth do I do? Initial rinse and soap done. Poor dog is secured for the night.

He's a lab with a thick black coat that hides injuries. I didn't see any wounds. Those are unlikely, right? Should I consider a rabies booste just in case it hit him with teeth?

I think I'm just taking him to petco for the special bath tomorrow. I don't think I can handle another go round, unless someone has a miracle solution. I'm pregnant and the smell is killing me (and him, I'm sure, my poor boy).

Very recent thread with answers you seek. This mixture has worked for me but had to do it a couple of times. Good luck!
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-a-skunk-help!

Just as an aside and certainly not to scare the heck out of you but.....Be careful and in the future you might want to wait a bit before cleaning or leave dog outside for the night if possible. I cleaned up one of our dogs a few years ago immediately after a skunking. No marks on either dog from said encounter but it was dark and I have no idea if skunk tried to go after either one. Then lucky me caught a skunk (presumably the same one) that same night in a Havahart trap that was meant for a mean stray cat. Animal control came the next day and dispatched the skunk. Told him my story about one of the dogs getting sprayed the night before. He noticed scabbed over superficial scratches on my hands (it was spring, we had been trimming the bushes). He sent said skunk off for testing and it came back rabid. Health Dept had a cow. And sent me into a panic.

Long story short, I didn't have to get shots but it sure scared the crap out of me. Fortunately the rabies virus is very short lived outside of the body and needs to find an open wound quickly. At any rate, ANY future skunking of ANY animal on this property will stay outside for several hours or for the night if very late.... no matter what.

Both dogs had to be boostered since they both ran to meet the skunk and cats had to go get rabies boosters since both cats also had access to the barn where skunk was trapped. There was a certain time period I had to get everyone to the vet by but can't remember now how quickly. If I remember correctly, both dogs and cats had just within the last month had a booster. They had to have it AGAIN. Horses escaped having to be boostered since one was inaccessible in a stall and the other's lot had complete field fencing surrounding it and there were no marks on her nose/head (and she was current on rabies vaccine).

Booster Rabies vaccine within 72 hours. Cheap vaccine and not worth the risks.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Thanks all!

I forgot to try searching for recent threads. I was a bit frazzled.

I'm slightly freaked about the rabies exposure for DH and I, now. I wouldn't have felt okay leaving him out, though. We don't have a fully fenced yard and it happened right next to the house. Even tied I'd have worried.

I couldn't believe it happened. We were thirty feet from our front door in a small city. I was five feet from the dog beside a small patch of woods. He walked around a bush and BAM.

He still reeks this morning. I think I'm just going to have petco do him. I feel bad not doing him myself but I don't think I can handle it. Poor dog. He had a miserable night.

Groomer couldn't see him till two. I work from home and he was miserable, so I grew some balls and took care of him.

A miserable hour later, I think that recipe worked. He's drying at my feet on the porch. I believe I'll need to hit his face with a third round, but even with pregnancy nose I don't smell skunk till I drop my face to his.

Poor boy hates bathes and hated the smell of that stuff, but his misery is almost over.

Here's the sad boy:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ro19c7/5
    Despite the angle, he's all of eighty pounds.
    Right now the clothes I was wearing are soaking in dawn soap and baking soda (luckily I wasn't hit directly, but they're maternity clothes which are ridiculously overpriced and I don't want to throw out sixty bucks worth of clothing so I hope this works).

Try Massengil douche- vinegar and water. Just squirt on, rub in and do not rinse. You can lightly towel dry the dog. They will smell like a salad- better than skunk.
    I have found fresh douche works better than a box that sat around for a six months or so and the name brand seems to work a little better than generic.
    The douche is probably less stressful than the Dawn/baking soda, wait for 10-15 minutes and rinse. And it is cheap.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)