The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default P Dutton's 'extended' saddle pads?

I am curious about this set up.

I am assuming it has something to do with preventing rubs, but why all of a sudden does it seem like all of his horses go in this? Is this a DOC thing? (and I never saw any of Karen's horses go in this?)

TIA!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Picture, please.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Im not sure if you can view this link, but I follow Phillip Dutton Eventing on facebook, and there are quite a few pictures. I dont remember seeing them in previous years

https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/h...85121817_n.jpg

Looks like a no bow to me.

Never seen one of those before As I'm trying to get less stuff on my horse (closer contact saddle, for instance), that seems excessive. I'm also not a fan of the 5-point breastplates, so maybe it's just me.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd say it's to prevent rubs. Sometimes the rubs happen from boots/half chaps, not even the spurs! (That's happened to me.) A friend of mine rode with a leg bandage under the girth for quite a while - the horse had a sarcoid there and it would rub badly on the girth.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Yeah...looks like one of these:
    http://www.ovationriding.com/ovation...filter_name=no mark
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

1 members found this post helpful.

Protects against spur marks which can appear especially on closely clipped horses.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Winding Down View Post
    Protects against spur marks which can appear especially on closely clipped horses.
    Well, that's a depressing thought.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

We had a horse in college who was a very thin skinned TB and would have welts from rubbing done by the riders' heels by the end of an IHSA show day. Got really crewed up when one of the teams tried to cheat by using sit-tite on their boots. Poor man had to have a break for a week or so to heel up. I wish we could have gotten one of these pads for him.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Well, that's a depressing thought.
    Not really... when you clip the coat there isn't much between your heels and the horse's skin. Many horses are thin-skinned enough that just the calf of the boot or half-chaps can rub.

And... some riders really do give spur marks. But do you think Phillip Dutton doesn't have an educated enough leg/training regime that he is not only giving all his horses spur rubs, but is also advertising it to the whole world?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Thin skinned horses can get rubbed SO EASILY. And he's at an FEI event, where they are extreme about spur marks. This time of year, riders who do a lot of FEI competitions will ride just about every ride with an old school beach towel or something new fangled like this.

Hell, Vernon would get rubbed from CLEAN BOOTS, no spurs, on a short walking hack. He was the biggest PITA that way. I used chamois butter on his sides most of the time, because even the edge of towels would rub him.

Well, I'm no jabber or poker but when my UL horse is body clipped with a 10 blade in the summer, he has gotten spur/heel marks. Last year I put Vaseline on my spurs and slimed his sides with it. It happens.

WD, chamois cream or butter works WAY better It doesn't make quite the mess because their skin will absorb it. Also, keeps your boots soft.

Ya, until you've ridden a sensitive thin skinned horse, you just don't understand. During shedding season, especially when clipped, my horse can get rubs from his sheepskin covered girth... ummmm... figure that one out. I basically have to use no leg at all on him if I want to avoid rubs. It's pathetic.

Yeah...another one here who has horses get rubbed really REALLY easily...especially right after they get clipped.

To my eye...that is just towel or a wrap under his saddle. That is what most people do. And then they take it off for the test. In an FEI class, if the rub gets worse you get eliminated so you do what you have to in order to avoid it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    WD, chamois cream or butter works WAY better It doesn't make quite the mess because their skin will absorb it. Also, keeps your boots soft.
    Butter? As in unsalted butter?

Where do you find chamois cream? brand name? Thanks, Amanda
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Where do you find chamois cream? brand name? Thanks, Amanda
    Any bike store (or sports store) should carry it. Chamois Butt'r is one of the brand names.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Any bike store (or sports store) should carry it. Chamois Butt'r is one of the brand names.
    Yes. That. Chamois Butt'r is my preferred choice for the horses (my preferred choice for ME is tingly).