The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Explain this pop rock thing to me....

Are they an honest-to-goodness treatment for ulcers or is this a nickname for some other product?

<I did a search, and saw lots of references to pop rocks, but no explanation as to the when and how and why>

So, when would you use these? How do you use them? Why would you use them?

It is a nickname for omeprazole granules. You can order them through Abler.

There are quite a few threads on here about this exact topic, but I know the search feature can be tricky at times.

A lot of users on here use them to treat or prevent ulcers. It is MUCH cheaper than Ulcergard/Gastrogard. One COTHer also checked the enteric coating on the granules and found it to be correct/adequate for making it through the horses stomach acid. (IIRC.....)
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I saw a lot of references to pop rocks, but wasn't coming up with a definitive explanation of whether or not people actually meant the candy pop rocks.

I was mostly thrown off by the number of threads asking for help finding blue pop rocks, specifically.

Thanks!

So, when would you use these? How do you use them? Why would you use them?
    You would use them the same way/reason why you would use GastroGard or UlcerGard paste. They are just granules instead of paste.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Burgie View Post
    I saw a lot of references to pop rocks, but wasn't coming up with a definitive explanation of whether or not people actually meant the candy pop rocks.

Thanks!
    NOT the candy. It can take several days for them to arrive. So people who want to start treatment right away sometimes ask if anyone has any extra packets they're willing to sell.

Thanks, everyone!

I thought it might be a dumb question...

FYI to regular users:

I just ordered and the cost for 200 (I have TWO horses on it ) has gone up 10% in less than four months.

Not a dumb question at all. I thought the same thing until someone linked to the site that sells them.
    Chambermaid to....
    The Black Pearl (Lilly)
    Queen Anne's Revenge (Khione)

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    FYI to regular users:

I just ordered and the cost for 200 (I have TWO horses on it ) has gone up 10% in less than four months.
    A lot more than that this year - it's still far less expensive than Ulcergard, but I was shocked when I looked recently, and I was glad I had just purchased a large box! When the website was down for a while it came back up with new pricing.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    it's still far less expensive than Ulcergard
    Very true. And it has made a world of difference for my horses.

I got mine from omeprazoledirect.com Make sure you scroll down and click on the horse products. That link takes you to the human home page. The only buyer beware is that they come from out of the country and can take 18-21 days to come, at least they did for me.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jillanddaniel View Post
    I got mine from omeprazoledirect.com Make sure you scroll down and click on the horse products. That link takes you to the human home page. The only buyer beware is that they come from out of the country and can take 18-21 days to come, at least they did for me.

Good luck!
    That and abler.com are the same page - one directs you to the other, and I can't remember which right now.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

If anyone is looking for another alternative to Gastragard/Ulcergard or the Abler product, I have had beautiful results with the omeprazole/ranitadine paste from Precision Pharmacy. Your vet will need to order it for you, and a month of treatment dose is about $250. You can also get overnight shipping, which is very, very nice.

I use the ranitadine/ omperazole from precision pharmacy on our foals for quicker results and I like it as well. We get it from Abba Vet Supply. $17.50 a tube.

They LOOK like pop rocks, little blue granules, hence the nickname.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I have a question about this product as well. Do you mix the blue pop rocks with feed? Do you feed it everyday?
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

Quote Originally Posted by moore4sure View Post
    I use the ranitadine/ omperazole from precision pharmacy on our foals for quicker results and I like it as well. We get it from Abba Vet Supply. $17.50 a tube.
    Huh? Link? 30 mL syringe with three doses? I didn't realize it was available through any reseller.

That's quite a bit less than I pay for it from my vet (which is still downright cheap compared to a month of Gastrogard.)

Quote Originally Posted by INoMrEd View Post
    I have a question about this product as well. Do you mix the blue pop rocks with feed? Do you feed it everyday?
    Its dosed once per day, just like GastroGard paste is administered - every 24 hours.

The coating needs to remain dry, or it will start to break down too soon. If you don't have a picky eater, you can just sprinkle the granules in with feed. I do have a picky eater, and while I do use water to make an alfalfa mash, I don't make it soupy, just enough to break down the cubes, and I wait until the very last minute to sprinkle the granules on top, and have noticed significant improvement with her even that way, so while some granules may "go bad" from the wet breaking down the coating, obviously not enough of them to render the stuff completely useless.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Simkie.... Yes www.abbavetsupply.com they don't always list everything so may have to call great customer service..but they def carry the omperazole / ranitadine from precison pharmacy we are talking about the same thing. I am almost 95% sure $17.50 is what I've been paying

Quote Originally Posted by moore4sure View Post
    Simkie.... Yes www.abbavetsupply.com they don't always list everything so may have to call great customer service..but they def carry the omperazole / ranitadine from precison pharmacy we are talking about the same thing. I am almost 95% sure $17.50 is what I've been paying
    For anyone else who is curious about this, I finally checked with Abba:

They sell the precision omeprazole/ranitadine paste for $17.75 tube (which is three treatment doses) for a total cost (without shipping) of $175.50 for a month. You do need a script from your vet on file with them.