The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

What a cute looking pony, and kudos for all you are doing for him.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I can send them to you, and if they don't work, save them for another time for someone else, okay? PM me your address.

Here's a link to the video I made about Phoebe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smbmjKupw0M

Hundredacres, I have no words....I shouldn't look at these things at work. The ultimate rhetorical questions is the one we all utter: How does a person look at such suffering and not feel compelled to alleviate it? I can't believe Phoebe was able to live in those conditions.

You, Plainandtall, so many COTHers who have such generous hearts. Thank you for caring and advocating for those who cannot advocate for themselves.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    Plainandtall, you are my hero!!!
    This is a marvelous thing you are doing!!!
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

My husband sent me this picture he took when we were at the vet- it was a little dark there- so the picture is blurry and I somehow wound up with three eyebrows and an extra half of a face- but it shows me- Plain and Tall with him- Short and handsome!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ony/null-4.jpg

8 members found this post helpful.

Omg, you two are way to cute!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    ... ugh... get out of my picture you disgusting dog!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...comespirit.jpg
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    OK- now this is more of an anecdotal report about the vet visit and after-

After his feet were trimmed and the sedation wore off- it was as if he had an injection of machismo!! His personality was INSTANTLY uplifted when those humiliating deformed toes were taken off his feet- his gait is still a little stilted- both from the tenderness from the trim (and he's getting some bute) and the way his tendons changed to adapt to moving with the overgrown feet- but he wanted to move and try them out- he LOOKED at them. He became a little (little) bit bratty- he could exert a little bit of will- he could move away from you fast if he wanted- instead of being hobbled by his own body! He wanted to walk in circles instead of standing still.

When we got home he was sweaty from the trailer ride and I hosed him down before putting him away in his stall. He wanted to roll and pawed all the shavings away so he could roll in the stonedust floor (smartie pants) he pawed so fast- and he seemed so proud of how he could now use his foot as a tool. His toes were shaved back so severe- I was afraid that he was just going to be in agony over that- but if his toes hurt as bad as I imagined- he never would have done the pawing like that...

Then... well this is when I finally cried. I have not seen him lay down since I had him- I know he HAS because he got shavings in his mane- but I never saw him get down or get up. I don't know how he used to do it- but the fact that he was going to do it now- in front of me- said to me that something major just changed.

He circled- and then bowed his head, and then he brought his back feet closer to his fronts... closer than he could have brought them when those back toes were long. And then his front knees began to buckle- to prepare to get down- and then- like a ballerina en'point he raised up onto the tips of his toes- and stayed there for a moment and then his knees folded and he flopped to the floor like a normal horse. And rolled and rolled so happily- and then when he went to stand- he did a funny little lurching jump- almost like a breakdancer pops off the floor- he had invented a move to help him get up past those rockers. that weren't there anymore. On the path to normalcy.
    How much do I love this post??
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

5 members found this post helpful.

That picture is so cute! Pony looks like a dog that you are walking! A great looking pony. A great picture your husband took.

Sending $ on the 1st.

By the look on your daughters face that pony will be well loved.
    So adorable!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Oh, you're both too cute! Muzzle and boots are going out tomorrow...sorry, crazy at work and I haven't been getting out in time to get to the post office.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just wonderful. Thank you for all that you have done for that sweet pony.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

1 members found this post helpful.

I want to give a big thank you shout-out to Hundredacres who sent Spirit a care package! the cutest little pair of Davis soaking boots you ever saw- just teacup size- and a grazing muzzle which fits him perfectly. He's all ready for turnout now!

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/frog...ull-7.jpg.html

And I love this picture of big (18hand) Sprocket greeting Spirit at his stall (our two week quarantine is over and I'm ready to tentatively start the introductions. Spirit's stall toy basketball sitting there makes it look like Spirit is one of those short basketball coaches talking it out with a big player.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

5 members found this post helpful.

Those pictures are adorable! Please keep them coming!

(Have you heard anything about the other horses at the place Spirit came from?)
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Yes, no pressure, but we want updates .

So happy it's a perfect fit!

Oh, I want a picture of the tea-cup sized soaking boots!!!!!!!!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Whose little legs and feet are sticking out from under Sprocket's head?

That's Banjo, and he is the one I am hoping to be a "we diet and excercise together" buddy for Spirit. He's an Arab/Haflinger. Banjo used to be "my little pony" but since Spirit showed up, litte Banjo turned into a horse.

I tried to get the little boots on Spirit this morning and couldn't- they are just a teeny bit small- but I think part of that is that he still has a lot of excessive heel- I am betting the boots will slip on easy after his next trim. I will take a picture with a teacup though!

2 members found this post helpful.

Please keep the updates coming. I hope that Spirit will bless and enrich your and your family's lives as much as you are doing the same for him. Such a lovely story....
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Dee, at your vet's, is really nice! I called today and debated a little towards the pony's vet bill.