The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Dear Warmbloods, he may be tall, especially to Silver who has to carry him, but he's the Lone Ranger because the rest of his group (posse?) was killed, not the Long Ranger.. Or you may have autocorrect on your smart phones and it did you in ...
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

1 members found this post helpful.

Gee, what looked scary was the horse going over him and where it's front feet landed-yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
    I thought it looked pretty scary too, he hung off the side for a fairly long time, the horse was moving fast, he landed on his back, and the horse clipped him with his hinds while jumping over him.
    I was thinking the same thing. For sure, the horse caught him with his back legs as he hit the ground. That's never good. Loved how the other actor on "Silver" looked back at him as he fell off, probably thinking, "Oh, man, now we have to do this again!"

The other clip of the Cowboy Boot Camp was cute. I'll give those guys some credit for the way they have to tackle new skills for different movies. That has to be a pretty big challenge sometimes.

And to be fair, if Depp had gotten seriously hurt, that would have thrown a giant wrench in the works for a big production like that. So it's no wonder it seemed newsworthy. Especially now as they're trying to drum up interest before the movie comes out. Not to mention the fear that something could have happened to that face!

I will say it's one of the few movies I plan to see this year. I still remember watching the reruns of the tv show when I was a kid. When I run across an episode now, it's funny to see how much simpler times were then as far as what constituted an action show on tv.

He held onto to the left rain as he went down ( I stopped the video), and that's what made the horse "jump" over him. I suspect it would have been a cleaner tumble off, no horse involvement if he'd just let go of the reins.
    I loved the camp training.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Also, it's rather difficult to fall off a horse while riding in a straight line over flat ground with nary a spook or buck. Even I, who once fell off a rather erratic green horse 5 times in less than 20 minutes of riding have never managed THAT feat...
    He fell from a galloping horse over not flat ground and we have no idea if there was a spook or buck, since we don't see the moment before he is already falling. Scary enough for me.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

That paint has cute knees!

It certainly wasn't the most graceful of falls, and you can add me to the club that winced when he hit the ground. I can imagine how to a non-horse person, certainly, it would be terrifying! I wouldn't want to do it, for sure.

Nice soft fall? Yeah, I'm sure a fall off a galloping horse on rough terrain where the horse steps on you is nice and soft.

9 members found this post helpful.

I guess I'm a drama llama too.

If a student had taken that fall, I'd have been pretty worried. If they were able to remount, we would have walked back to the barn after that.

If you listen to the Letterman interview, he's riding on a bareback pad that slipped as the horse jumped a clump of sage brush, and he made a decision to let go and drop off after hanging onto the horse's side for a few strides.

Let's see - multimillion dollar actor in a multi million dollar feature film, galloping bareback in the open in company, no helmet or other safety gear, falls under his horse and the horse jumps over him, just clipping him with one hind hoof.

And someone has a quibble with the word "scary" in the headline?

Let me know in what universe that isn't scary, so I can avoid riding there.

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    I guess I'm a drama llama too.

If a student had taken that fall, I'd have been pretty worried. If they were able to remount, we would have walked back to the barn after that.

If you listen to the Letterman interview, he's riding on a bareback pad that slipped as the horse jumped a clump of sage brush, and he made a decision to let go and drop off after hanging onto the horse's side for a few strides.

Let's see - multimillion dollar actor in a multi million dollar feature film, galloping bareback in the open in company, no helmet or other safety gear, falls under his horse and the horse jumps over him, just clipping him with one hind hoof.

And someone has a quibble with the word "scary" in the headline?

Let me know in what universe that isn't scary, so I can avoid riding there.
    ^ ^

2 members found this post helpful.

Another drama llama here. When I saw the video my thought was "ouch!", and "the results could have been a lot worse, with him landing under the horse's feet".

OP, did you actually watch the video you linked to??

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    Yes, I don't think too many riders would have recovered from the scenario he described. Once you and your saddle/bareback pad are on the horse's side at a canter, you're pretty much only going in one direction from there.

At least he was able to laugh about it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Raising hand to join the drama llama guild.

Ouch!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

All I know is that Tonto has a very strange thing on his head. Then again, I suppose Depp likes to dress up funky. He made the prettiest pirate I've ever seen.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

14 members found this post helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUSxXq8pI8

The horse saved Johnny Depp! On Purpose! He was saved "Courtesy of friendly horse" due to the deep bond Depp had developed with him.

Throwing this in for a laugh..

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Well, count me among the drama llama crowd, because that was a NASTY tumble! You should scroll down to the BOTTOM video, at 1:06, and see the WHOLE thing, including the shot of the hoofprint on Johnny's ribs. Definitely NOT a wussy fall!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Too bad they didn't make this movie back when Depp was still cute (I can say that since I'm not cute anymore, either).

That pic that Leno showed... Wow, Depp was all up in that horse's mouth! It wasn't a pretty fall but it didn't kill or maim him. He's lucky.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Call me a drama llama because that's a heck of a fall. Thanks for the Letterman interview -that was brilliant.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Dear Warmbloods, he may be tall, especially to Silver who has to carry him, but he's the Lone Ranger because the rest of his group (posse?) was killed, not the Long Ranger.. Or you may have autocorrect on your smart phones and it did you in ...
    Yep. Iphone5 and macbookpro auto correct everything. Even Coth if we don't capitalize it. That is so cool that a poster met Jay Silverheels! Our owner always like Scout cause he was a Pinto. And Silverheels seemed to be a good guy. Silver seemed to have too much pink around his eyes, even back in the tv days when that first Silver was acting.

The other video someone posted showed just how the pinto did try to avoid squashing Depp with his front hooves. And the response of the whole crew was funny, with everyone running to save the multi-million dollar man.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    And the response of the whole crew was funny, with everyone running to save the multi-million dollar man.
    I noticed the same thing! I wondered if they all get laid off if he can't work.

Add me to the drama llama crowd. I hate falling. I also have the distinction of falling off a stationary horse; I mounted and kept going right over That knocked the wind right out of me, so I definitely don't feel all 'holier than thou' and diss as minor a fall from a galloping horse.