The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hiding the hail damage

I'm a woman of a certain age and I'm looking for full seat breeches that will hide the hail damage/cottage cheese on my legs. The Pikeur Lugana breeches have been the best so far but the price tag is prohibitively expensive for daily use. I'm not keen on wearing Spanx or under garments like those offered with the FITS so what other brands do a good job of camouflaging the flab?

Try the TuffRider ribbed breeches. They come in a low rise and a not low rise option. I don't like super low breeches, but the 'low' ones to me are more like a mid rise. They sit just below my belly button around my hips and I've never been concerned my butt might hang out. The ribbed fabric is very forgiving.

I'm not sure I'd show anything rated in them, but for an everyday breech they're great. I've had 3 pairs for 3 years and they all still look new despite my abuse. I wear them hard (endurance and trails in addition to arena work) and chuck them in with regular laundry - no special treatment. Note: the 'deep purple' color is a pretty epic Barney purple. It's not a pretty deep purple. I have a pair and do wear them, but they were not the color I was expecting.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Pikeur's last forever, so although expensive, it averages out. And you look good while doing the averaging.
    Taking it day by day!

Try buying the pikuer breeches from the uk, its much cheaper..

I'll second the ribbed tuff riders (regular rise). I have several pairs in black, navy, hunter green, and beige. Great price and have held up well. They do run a bit on the larger side so if you're between sizes, order down.

I've found that cotton/Lycra hides the dimples better than the ribbed, personally. Darker colors are better as are heavier weight ones (sucks in summer though!), and, interestingly, the ones that are a little too tight (as opposed to a little too loose), squeeze it all together for better hiding.
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

Microfiber rules for this problem. That's why the Pikeurs work. I buy mine in the UK, though. The other ones that I like, don't know if you can get them here, are Jeffries. Also microfiber...

Keritts microcord. Love em. the white is a bit thin, so I wear capri length slimmers under - not the ones from fits or smartpak, but from that famous undergarment maker whose name escapes me right now.....