The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    You need to pick up some of this stuff:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...c-bdb8511c64ee

I have a mare that's had cow patty poops for a LONG time...at least January...and I've tried a bunch of things for her.

Yesterday I picked up two tubes of Diagel as a flier when I saw it at the vet supply place. I'd gone to buy biosponge to really get serious about getting her gut in shape. I figured it sure can't hurt. Might help. Gave her the first tube yesterday. Label says it works in 12 - 24 hours. I figured that was bullshit.

But what do you know...she had formed manure tonight. It was still a little soft, but it was definitely BALLS of poop. I gave her another tube and we will see what she does from here on out.
    I ordered a tube of it just now to see if it will work -- if it is salmonella or e.coli, as we've been wondering here, then maybe that will work?! I hope so. He is so miserable and I have to go to see the vet in person this morning, since apparently he cannot find the time to call me back.

Quote Originally Posted by downen View Post
    Just another thought re: adrenals... from the little bit of research I did on horses it appears to be pretty rare (it's also very rare in humans; I'm one of less than 10,000 in the country). It's also difficult to diagnosis; there may not even be a test for horses. However, in the absence of another diagnosis, it would not hurt to treat your horse with saline and a course of corticosteroids (hyrdrocortisone is a better choice then Dex). If you research, you'll see that Addison's disease appears to be more common in dogs, but the treatment guidelines for equines are comparable. If he improves with treatment, you most likely have your diagnosis. If this turns out to be your horse's problem, it is very treatable, but you need to pay special attention to hydration and stress. Sending good thoughts your way!
    Thank you! I will definitely keep this in mind and ask the vet if this is something we can test for or treat for just in case.

Call me crazy, but if this has been going on a month - (OP said 2 1/2 weeks when she posted early June) I think I'd be finding me a new vet or second opinion. Doesn't sound to me as the vet is being responsive or proactive when obviously something is not right for the horse. OP - do you have a vet school or clinic that you could take him to?
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Call me crazy, but if this has been going on a month - (OP said 2 1/2 weeks when she posted early June) I think I'd be finding me a new vet or second opinion. Doesn't sound to me as the vet is being responsive or proactive when obviously something is not right for the horse. OP - do you have a vet school or clinic that you could take him to?
    Believe me, I am nearly there . . . this vet is the best in the area, ALWAYS responsive and this behavior is not at all typical for him. We do have a teaching hospital about 2 hours away, but Scrappy is so bad at the moment that I am having trouble with the idea of putting him through a long, hot trailer ride like that. My other vet is good, but also very hard to "track down" as he is in the state legislature and often gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    I ordered a tube of it just now to see if it will work -- if it is salmonella or e.coli, as we've been wondering here, then maybe that will work?! I hope so. He is so miserable and I have to go to see the vet in person this morning, since apparently he cannot find the time to call me back.
    Bummer news on the diagel front, at least for my horse: helped for one day, but it didn't hold. Despite treating her for two days

Still worth a try for you, though.

For one of our boarders horses that developed really bad runs,we went and found really crappy coarse hay and mixed it with his regular hay.worked like a charm.
    mm

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I know some people who had a horse die from chronic diarrhea. He was also older. He had gotten some seriously antibiotic resistant e coli, or one of the other evil bugs and it just wouldn't be killed off. You might suggest culturing some manure to see what evil lurks within.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

After too long a wait, we finally know what it isn't: salmonella. The fecal test came back negative for that.

However, bloodwork was much worse than the first time. Proteins and calcium are still extremely low, despite being on a double dose of Fat Cat for the past two weeks. And now his white cell count, which had been in the normal range, is spiking about 3xs where it should be. Vet is now thinking e.coli, which responds well to Baytril (which explains why he perked up and did better after that initial shot) or something similar. We will go ahead and put him on Baytril again while we run more tests to double-check (though why in holy crawling critters they didn't run the test with the LAST TWO SAMPLES, I don't know).

He is on BioSponge, has been on it for the past two days, and I'm seeing no real improvement there yet. Please keep jingling for a very sweet, patient old boy.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Will keep up the jingles. What an ordeal.
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you asked your vet about a fecal transplant? It's certainly cheap to try and may prove very useful. It's really gaining momentum as a treatment for C. diff in people, and has been used forever to treat stubborn diarrhea in all sorts of animals...

Bummer news on the diagel front, at least for my horse: helped for one day, but it didn't hold. Despite treating her for two days

Still worth a try for you, though.
    Dang it. I ordered three tubes, so maybe . . . we will try it anyway once it gets here. Wish it was working for yours!

Have you asked your vet about a fecal transplant? It's certainly cheap to try and may prove very useful. It's really gaining momentum as a treatment for C. diff in people, and has been used forever to treat stubborn diarrhea in all sorts of animals...
    I have not yet, but will put that on my Big Long List of things to yell at him about tomorrow. I mean, discuss with him tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I know some people who had a horse die from chronic diarrhea. He was also older. He had gotten some seriously antibiotic resistant e coli, or one of the other evil bugs and it just wouldn't be killed off. You might suggest culturing some manure to see what evil lurks within.
    Thanks for responding -- and that's getting to be my fear as well (death by diarrhea, I mean, which happens to people all the time as well). We cultured -- my understanding was that this time, we were supposed to run a full panel, but apparently only the salmonella got done. We'll be culturing for e. coli next.

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post
    For one of our boarders horses that developed really bad runs,we went and found really crappy coarse hay and mixed it with his regular hay.worked like a charm.
    Unfortunately, he shows zero interest in any hay -- he ate it fine all winter, but now will only eat either grass (major interest in dandelions, if anyone wants to hazard a guess as to why) or his grain.

Dang it. I ordered three tubes, so maybe . . . we will try it anyway once it gets here. Wish it was working for yours!
    It's the ONLY thing so far that's produced any sort of result for my horse, so I do hope it's helpful for you and lasts longer than it did for me!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My horses are doing the same thing. After having had nothing but hay all winter, when grass comes in, they turn up their noses at hay--except for alfalfa, which is only available here through TSC. And I can't afford to feed them $17 a bale hay.

Dandelions are a notable salad ingredient for humans. Perhaps they taste particularly good to horses as well.

They have access to grass hay 24/7. I figure that if they are hungry, they will eat it.

Unfortunately, he shows zero interest in any hay -- he ate it fine all winter, but now will only eat either grass (major interest in dandelions, if anyone wants to hazard a guess as to why) or his grain.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

(major interest in dandelions, if anyone wants to hazard a guess as to why)
    Dandelions taste good, that is why. Not big super secret reason.

If you want to try something else in the meantime (what's more $ at this point, right?), I have had very good luck with Uckele's Absorb-All, for chronic diarrhea. You may have to give 2-4x the recommended dose.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

It happened to my old guy, and the vet recommended very soft hav because be said it could be the harder heay was irritation. After a few years, he went to wet alfalfa cubes.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
    It happened to my old guy, and the vet recommended very soft hav because be said it could be the harder heay was irritation. After a few years, he went to wet alfalfa cubes.
    This was one of the theories the vets had when a friend's horse had what was diagnosed as colitis. They noticed that his (very liquid) manure contained little lengths of partially-processed hay and they thought that perhaps the hay was the culprit. This is the horse that was treated with the fecal transplant. When my vet was presented with our palette of hays, she chose the timothy over the orchard grass for Star. I had noticed that the orchard felt prickly when I handled it.
    The Evil Chem Prof