The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Question re: Posting the canter

Was just watching the Hunter Derby with FR Amber Eyes/Commentary and noticed people posting the canter. Is this a new fad?

I was taught to post the canter to get more speed? Just curious, I think it looks a bit silly.

2 members found this post helpful.

In my cubicle reading the forum instead of working!

I do it quite often--it encourages a steady rhythm and light seat. Was at Devon last week and saw Kelley Farmer use it on quite a few of her rides.

7 members found this post helpful.

I believe, according to the "connected" video of USEF tests 1-19 with Cynthia Hankins and Debbie McDonald which is "Endorsed by the PCHA &USHJA," that posting the canter is considered incorrect. It looks odd to me but what do I know. Perhaps the most important thing to consider however, is what would GM say?

10 members found this post helpful.

I've never seen this before, am not a hunter rider, but just came to the forum to search this as I saw Farmer's derby round as well and was totally mystified regarding what she was doing. Thanks to the OP for the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by galloping-gourmet View Post
    Was just watching the Hunter Derby with FR Amber Eyes/Commentary and noticed people posting the canter. Is this a new fad?

I was taught to post the canter to get more speed? Just curious, I think it looks a bit silly.
    What the blech?! Here's my not worth much unqualified opinion: canter posting; term slapped on being up and away from inhibiting the horse because we got bored with the terms "2 point or 3 point" and wanted an excuse to bounce a little.

You see posting the canter a lot in jumpers, especially when they first pick up the canter to establish pace, less so on course. I can help with getting a steady rhythm and if you don't SIT hard during the sitting phase you do have a lighter seat. I personally don't really using the posting canter.

3 members found this post helpful.

I sometimes posted the canter on my last horse. He liked to get quick and worried, and posting the canter always made him relax and settle into a nice rhythm. It does look weird, but it was effective for that particular horse
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I saw it at Devon. It may help but it is not a pretty picture at all.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

6 members found this post helpful.

Kelly has done this for years. It works for her. Nobody is saying that anybody else should do it. Just her style and her horses go beautifully for her.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Are we talking about an actual posting canter - sit a stride, rise a stride - or the bouncy hip thing first made popular by Brianne Goutal in the eq?

One is good for increasing impulsion/rhythm, the other is just distracting.

I think it's important to define what, exactly, we're talking about so that people stop getting the two mixed up.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Are we talking about an actual posting canter - sit a stride, rise a stride - or the bouncy hip thing first made popular by Brianne Goutal in the eq?

One is good for increasing impulsion/rhythm, the other is just distracting.

I think it's important to define what, exactly, we're talking about so that people stop getting the two mixed up.
    I don't think it's the bouncy hip thing...it really looks like a true up, down, up, down. Soft, yes, but it's just like a post. I think it really looks bad. I can't say whether it's effective for anything or not since I don't do it, but purely aesthetically, it looks bad (to my eyes, anyway).
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

3 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Kelly has done this for years. It works for her. Nobody is saying that anybody else should do it. Just her style and her horses go beautifully for her.

Yup, drives me crazy to look at her in the corners, but her horses look plenty nice to and over the fences.

But it does make me twitchy watching it. It's like watching a drummer who is just slightly out of sync with the rest of the band - even if the sound is good, you get too focused on the visual disconnect
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

It is commonly used in polo where, IMO, the riders can't sit to the canter... but I dislike polo as the only equestrian sport where the horse is treated as a conveyance not a partner.

Kelly does it every time she rides a horse. It is so distracting to me, I just don't get it. I will sometimes do it at home if I have a really behind the pace horse, but never while jumping and never at a show.

Not new, at all. Very prevailent in the junior hunters this year at Devon as well. Funny those same kids managed to get the job done on all their eq horses without the need to post the canter?! And the best kid out there... didn't notice her needing to do it at all.
    Last edited by vxf111; Jun. 3, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I find myself doing it a bit the very first time that I canter. My horse tends to like to travel on a little short-stirrup hunter step if I'm not careful and don't manage our pace, so I find that I can gauge my initial canter quality by posting in a rhythm at the very beginning.

That being said, I'm not saying that this is a correct thing to do. I try very very hard to refrain from doing it in the ring - if I do it at the beginning of my warm up and don't have to stand around long between my last warm up jump and first trip in the ring, I don't feel the need to. I do however do it in the jumper ring a bit when I decide to make my poor hunter into an A/O jumper, but I think that's just a nervous reaction to somehow will us to make it over all the jumps!

FWIW, I just did a GM clinic and didn't dare post the canter for a single step. I still made it over all of the jumps.

Closing remarks: I enjoy how many "similar threads" there are on this topic. Do you think we've discussed this one a time or two?

I have only seen it done regularly in polo. Occasionally see it at the beginning of a jumper round to help build impulsion. Only had to do it myself once when our assigned schooling time at an indoor show was 5:30 a.m. and horse and I were both asleep and needed waking up.

Perhaps it is a case of...works for someone who is successful so others want to give it a try? Curious what the judges think of it. I suppose if you think of hunter roots you can't fault it but seems inconsistent with today's impression of the show ring hunter.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

All of the judges on the panel at the USEF judges clinic last month said they hated it!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    When I was last horse showing - decade ago - there was a jumper rider out of Atlanta area who did this. Can't recall her name but she won - a lot - and her horses went really well in a pretty basic set up. Worked for her.

I have never done it. I ride either in a light seat or I sit and rate more horse with my seat that way. I see no purpose truthfully IMO for a posting canter. I really don't like seeing it. Just doesn't look pleasing.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.