The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof supplements

Any experience with feed through hoof supplements? I know biotin, but does the other stuff matter? Anything besides biotin? Any particular brands?

IME, the AniMed biotin is the best value.

I knew someone that liked Farrier's Formula a lot and said it worked well, which has biotin in it.

I'm a label reader. And in reading labels I have found a lot of BS in what some supplement makers say. I've read "vitamins" when it turned out to be one vitamin. And then there's the Biotin BS. Taking a look at labels and comparing, there are many brands that say "Biotin" but when you compare ingredients, I find that some barely have any in it. If a good supplement has 15 mg per day, (example), there are many out there that only have 15 mg per Pound! Sometimes less. It's on the label, but most people don't question it, just take in what the label boasts about.

So before you go out to buy biotin supplement, make sure that you are actually getting enough of it per serving to make a difference. I personally start with about 15 mg per day, and after 6 months, cut that in half. But that's me. I am using Farrier's Secret right now, it may not be the best thing out there, but I am comfortable with what I am getting.

Smart hoof. After 3 months my farrier asked what I was doing differently.

1 members found this post helpful.

Biotin 100 by Nanric. Has a ridiculous amount of Biotin per ounce and not only are my horse's feet 1000 percent better (and he is barefoot behind), for the first time in his life, after a year on Biotin 100, his forelock is growing like crazy. It's not widely available from typical sources but Google it for where to buy.

TSC version of Farrier's Formula is cheaper & has the better combo of ingredients. The ratio & contents match some of the peer reviewed studies on hoof supplements (unusual, but there is actually some wrt to hoof health & supplementation).

Cool

I just got my delivery of biotin from purebulk because I'm sick of the ingredient game. They didn't have any 100 or 500 gram sizes, so I bought 1 kilogram for about $60. I figured it's about 2000 days worth of the highest dose of any supplement you can buy at 50 mg a day.

I've had my TB on Grand Hoof for several years now and his feet are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    TSC version of Farrier's Formula is cheaper & has the better combo of ingredients. The ratio & contents match some of the peer reviewed studies on hoof supplements (unusual, but there is actually some wrt to hoof health & supplementation).
    Is that the Dumor (spelling?) brand. I have used Farrier's Formula Double strength for two years with great results. I thought about changing up and going with something cheaper the other day and chickened out. I know the Farrier's Formula has worked for my guy and hate to mess that up.

I started feeding my guys Glanzen a long time ago because the barn I was at had everyone on it. When I moved barns I took him off of the Glanzen and several months later my farrier started complaining about his feet....complaining a lot about his feet. So back we went onto the Glanzen and his feet got really good again. So all of mine have been on some form or another of Glanzen ever since (so for the last 12 or 13 years?).

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    Is that the Dumor (spelling?) brand. I have used Farrier's Formula Double strength for two years with great results. I thought about changing up and going with something cheaper the other day and chickened out. I know the Farrier's Formula has worked for my guy and hate to mess that up.
    Yes, TSC house brand is Dumor (said correctly, you can make it sound really funny). When I was picking it out, I compared it to regular FF, not the double strength. They have the analysis on their webpage.

You want zinc, biotin & methionine, which are in FF & TSC. I wouldn't switch anything that was working...who knows about delivery, etc.

This is a good summary (scroll up & down, can't figure out how to link to another location in text)

http://books.google.com/books?id=5ny...zinger&f=false

I supplemented my mare for about 4 months, then we moved out of mud, so I stopped. So I can't add any anecdata here.

SmartSox!