The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poultice

What is your favorite post work (or event) poultice?

I need to get some for this season and would love to know what you all like the best.

I have used the Sore No More Poultice in the past and was happy with it although I know it tests.
    Oh, and I don't have access to any sort of natural clay to make my own.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

A mixture of cold water and air. Works like a charm. :P I don't think I've bought a tub of poultice in the 21st century. A relic of the past.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mine is Ultra Therabalm it used to be sold by SSTack aka Schneider's but I found it here more recently. http://stores.wcequestrian.com/-strs...alm/Detail.bok This stuff works great and unlike a lot of other poultices it's easy to remove by hosing. Some of the other stuff I have used cakes on and is very hard to remove.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    A mixture of cold water and air. Works like a charm. :P I don't think I've bought a tub of poultice in the 21st century. A relic of the past.
    I agree under normal circumstances. But.... the courses at many CDEs are on pretty hard ground, that combined with my horses are used to being out 24/7 pretty much equals stocked up legs after being in stalls at events.

Deltawave, what would you suggest in my circumstance? I just want to do the best by older horses that have worked hard for many years.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I've used the Uptite poultice for the last several years and been very happy with it; recently used it after running a fairly hilly XC course on a horse who lives on flat ground and had to showjump the next day. It did great, and he jumped beautifully It comes off pretty easily with just a hose as long as you've got good water pressure.

My horses generally live out, too, and stand in stalls at shows, which they're not used to. I want to do what's right by them, of course, but this (to me--I realize it is not a universally-held view) does not mean doing things just for the sake of doing them. I ice, I hose, I bed generously, I hand-walk, I pack feet, I will put standing bandages on provided it's not desperately hot as this does a decent job of minimizing stocking up and minor swelling. If the rules and timing allow between phases I will also use a gram of bute to help with minor soreness if I think the horse needs it.

Poultice I do not value at all--having thought about how it is supposed to work and having come to the conclusion that it is very nearly useless, it therefore doesn't come with me to shows or live in my barn.

I was unaware that sore no more tested...what in it tests?

1 members found this post helpful.

DW- what do you use to pack feet? The concept of poultice never made sense to me but I bought sore no more to pack feet thinking perhaps it will help and cant hurt. I never actually used it (end up doing everything else you mention). I didn't know sore no more "tested", please explain.
    I would like to have a care routine at shows that makes sense. what about linament? I love the smell, does it really help?

I can't comment on Sore No More as I've never used it but I do believe it contains arnica? One would have to run the ingredients through the relevant Drugs & Medications office. I have no idea, sorry.

I use good old smelly Forshner's for packing hooves, nothing special, and I do it only if the ground has been very hard and dry.

Liniments I put in the same category as poultice--nothing in there that is going to accomplish more than cold water can. Other than smelling nice and maybe making sticky sweat dissolve a little more quickly if one hasn't got the luxury of a hose, like at some shows. There is methylsalicylate in some liniments, which could potentially test as a salicylate/aspirin.
    Last edited by deltawave; May. 23, 2013 at 07:16 AM.

Cathy Wieschhoff told me at the training 3 day to use sore no more (spray) liberally on legs, cover with baby powder to make a "paste" if you will and wrap over that. No scrubbing in the morning, no mess, they won't blow up if they have nicks and scrapes etc.

Having used sore no more on myself, I do think it helps although I'm sure it doesn't Really Really Help if there is something major going on, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I typically ice legs after running T as well. My horses stand in a bucket.

I haven't used this as a poultice after an event like the OP was asking about since I haven't evented in years (but I have a young prospect in the field right now!), but I do use it in sore areas--the latest being a hematoma on my horse's shoulder and it worked really, really well: traumeel (or arnica cream) followed by redmond's clay (which you can get in the cream form or in the powdered form for you to mix up yourself). Worked great and just brushed off.

You could also just use traumeel (my preference) or arnica under leg wraps. I like the cream as opposed to the ointment.

found this article about SNM on eventing nation:
    http://eventingnation.com/home/will-...screening.html

2 members found this post helpful.

FWIW I am an equine vet and competitor. I prefer the Sore No More products and use them on my horse at shows.

Before competing, I called the USEF Vet Med Line and talked to one of the vets on staff there about the possibility of it testing (no way am I ever going to get pulled for positive drug tests with a DVM behind my own name, talk about bad press!). The vet from USEF said that as long as used as labelled (for topical use) there is no evidence that SNM will test. I have used it since and not had a problem.

That's my experience.

3 members found this post helpful.

It is my understanding SNM products test for FEI (but EVERYTHING tests for FEI) but USEF. I've used plenty of SNM products at USEF levels without issues.

I tend to go along with dw on poultice, though I did used to use the SNM stuff on my old horse (totally anecdotal but his legs WERE tighter with it than without it). My current horse is so freaking sensitive that I never use it on him and only dry wrap (with maybe occasionally a little SNM gel to make me feel better) if he'll be standing around for awhile after he's done. That works just fine.

I also ice.

I like poultice coming from the 19thc like I do and I use uptight--my undocumented no doubt snortable theory is it helps with swelling as it a solid soothing molded to the leg mass under the pressure of the bandage; it is is a great indicator of heat as it dries out in a flash if you have any; conversely if you still have a nice wet pack you know things are good that way. (Hence, the drying of the poultice I have always assumed is helping to cool.) Finally, I think it is hard to bandage bow a horse if you have a lot slathered on verse just bandages and I have never blistered or scurfed even the most sensitive horse with it so it is consistent with the do no harm principle.

I like Uptite poultice. I like to brush it off (dry) the next morning, it's easier than trying to hose it off. If you *do* decide hose, get the leg wet wet, wait 5 minutes, then go back and it will spray off pretty easily.

Anecdotal poultice story: I had my leg (shin) galloped upon by an unshod hoof, left all sorts of swelling, nerve damage, and deep bone bruise (but thankfully not broken!). After icing on/off all day long and keeping it elevated, I would poultice and wrap it at night. The poultice felt like a nice ice pack for about 3 hours as it dried. I'd always wondered whether white clay actually did anything...from personal experience, I can say it does.

While I prefer Uptite, I'll also use the Finish Line Cool-Out Clay (blue lid). We always used that for the weanlings/yearlings that needed "mud" on their joints. It's a bit stickier than Uptite, and stayed on pretty well without wrapping.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I don't use poultice either...have had it cause big legs on sensitive horses if they have even the tiniest nick or cut. I prefer to ice in tub so you get feet/pasterns/fetlocks as well as tendons, handwalk, pack feet with Magic Cushion if ground was hard, maybe a gram of bute and wrap in standing wraps overnight (back on track). Also TONS of handwalking and/or massage if I feel the course took a toll.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good point about nicks--I use to use the pick gooey stuff to poultice for that (cant remember the name...). I have also put a blob of furascin etc on paper/gaze on the nick and poultice around it.

(Hence, the drying of the poultice I have always assumed is helping to cool.)
    Poultice produces heat as it dries. An exothermic process. Similar to having a cast put on--those heat up a LOT more as the material is much thicker but it's the same principle. If you put the poultice on ice-cold you will be briefly cooling the leg some, but otherwise you are actually adding heat to the system.

But clay is definitely not plaster as I too have felt the heating up when plaster is mixed with water (amd maybe dry lime and concret products do the same thing when mixed with water") I thought that was a different "thing" going on when water is mixed with these products. But what do I know really.

I can at least understand why my nonscientific perceptions might think it has a cooling affect based on this chemistry 101 chart which lists evaporating liquid water under endothermic not exothermic actions. http://www.kentchemistry.com/links/Matter/EndoExo.htm
    regardless as have a primitive mind and believe in magical properties of inert substances I will no doubt kept using it. :-)