The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ground Bees

I noticed today when putting out hay that ground bees may have made a nest in my horses dry lot. I saw them hovering close to the ground near the bottom of a tree.

I've seen them before in a different area that could be avoided, but here they will be right in high traffic area .

I can't seem to see where they enter into the ground. This morning was the first time I've seen them - it's been raining here for days. Could they have built a nest that fast? This is an area I pick daily and have not seen them before.

I guess I'll need to spray, but if anyone has ideas on products to use to getting them to decide to live elsewhere please let me know. This will be the first time I try to get rid of them.

If by ground bees you are talking about yellow jackets the traps work pretty well.
    We bait them with the cheapest, stinking canned cat food we can find.
    It won'tget them all but sure keeps their numbers down.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Find the hole close to sunset. They will be swarming around it, going back in. Don't forget where it is. Go back after dark, and upend a quart of acetone on top of the hole. Leave it until the next morning. In the morning, there may be a few stragglers, but it will get all the ones that were in the hole.

1 members found this post helpful.

Gawd I hate yellow jackets. I won't go near them myself, so my suggestion is call out an exterminator.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Wait are these yellow jackets or are they true ground bees?

Yellow jackets are dreadful...I put them in the category of the Japanese Hornets. They are NOT welcome anywhere on our place. We farm organically and keep honeybees, though, so are very careful about how to get rid of them. If what you are seeing are honeybee-ish sized and more yellow, lots of them flying all towards one spot and then disappearing into the ground, them's likely yaller-jackits as they are referred to around here. The old men tend to go right at sunset, dump some gasoline or motor oil down the hole and then cover it up with a bucket. The one time we had a bad yellowjacket nest we used a commercially available spray at sunset and put a bucket over the hole.

IF however what you have are smaller than honeybee, more black bees, those are true ground bees. I've walked through 100s of them hovering over the ground and never been attacked, bitten, stung, whatever.

A link with some helpful info: http://insects.about.com/od/insectpe...round-Bees.htm

If letting them be is not an option, consider spraying down that area with water instead of pesticides. They don't like the damp. You might have to deal with the inconvenience of puddles for a bit but it will send the bees packing to another location and you'll also be preserving a beneficial insect.

Be careful!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have read that putting cat food on the ground next to them will draw skunks. Skunks will dig them up and eat them

I just spray down the hole with a strong insecticide after dark.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Yellow jackets built a nest in a compost pile of mine once in the paddock. Far from the barn and not exactly a high traffic spot but I didn't want the horses to be swarmed nonetheless. So I located the entrance to their nest, came back predawn the next morning and dumped a couple of wheelbarrow loads of compost on top of the nest so the exit was blocked and they couldn't escape. Worked.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

I rather deal with the wasps than with a skunk.

Yes, I do the poop on top also. Or you can use nasty grass clippings too.

I've always watched them at dusk to see where the hole is as they return at night. Then I pour gas down the hole. It'll kill them quickly. I usually poor about one quart for the average sized opening which is normally the size of a quarter.
    Last year on my farm I had a MEGA hive. The opening was approximately 2' x 4'. It took over 150 gallons of insecticide to kill them. Had to have a professional exterminator out twice to get them all. There were literally 10's of thousands of yellow jackets & they were larger than the average yellow jackets. VERY scary situation. Would have killed any livestock, dogs, people that might have wandered by. I'm more diligent than ever about wanting to find & eliminate any yellow jackets here. Also we now have the Africanized bees. Between the two, I only mow pastures & woods locked up inside the cab tractor.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    I've always watched them at dusk to see where the hole is as they return at night. Then I pour gas down the hole. It'll kill them quickly. I usually poor about one quart for the average sized opening which is normally the size of a quarter.
    Last year on my farm I had a MEGA hive. The opening was approximately 2' x 4'. It took over 150 gallons of insecticide to kill them. Had to have a professional exterminator out twice to get them all. There were literally 10's of thousands of yellow jackets & they were larger than the average yellow jackets. VERY scary situation. Would have killed any livestock, dogs, people that might have wandered by. I'm more diligent than ever about wanting to find & eliminate any yellow jackets here. Also we now have the Africanized bees. Between the two, I only mow pastures & woods locked up inside the cab tractor.
    Sounds like they might have been hornets http://www.vespa-bicolor.net/main/ve...spa-crabro.htm I have had to deal with 2 hives. We got hundreds with a bug zapper then had to use several cans of wasp killer to get rid of the nests.
    They are supposed to be "gentle" as long as you don't go to near the nest but the 2 I had were in a location that made them dangerous. Their stings REALLY HURT!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.