The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default *A WONDERFUL UPDATE* Giving back an adopted OTTB / HELP / PLEASE CHECK OUT LAST POST

I need some serious advice. I adopted an OTTB in Feb of this year. When I brought her home it was love and amazement at first sight. I couldn't believe how well she took to training. I have spared no expense with her. I have hired an incredible training, she is feed properly and looks amazing. She is Chiro'd every four weeks.

But in the last month and a half she is falling backwards. Her episodes are becoming more frequent and more dangerous. when we ride she isn't in extensive hard crazy training. She is well cared for and treated with respect and kindness. She is lunged before she is worked every day, but her spookyness is becoming highly unpredictable. She will experience moments of complete lucidity and then the next completely lose it. She is also becoming unpredictable on the ground as well.

Her diet nor her exercise has not changed. She receives between 16 to 22 hours a day turnout. She is on a 12% feed where she gets about 10lbs per day. She is on fantastic pasture, and quality hay.

I have become attached to this horse dearly. She has always been my girl since she came home. She comes to her name and I have even been able to trick train her. I don't know what to do, but I'm becoming afraid, and I know once I go down that path, it will ruin everything.

I would also like to mention that she is not just like this with me, but others as well including my trainer.

I understand that she is a thoroughbred and that not everyday will be perfect, and I'm willing to accept that. I am a very capable rider and can handle horse very well, and are often complimented on how gentle I can be with even the most nervous. But I'm running out of ideas. I don't want to have to constantly keep her drugged just to be able to use her. I need help. She means alot to me but I also don't want to get hurt.

I wanted to add that I do have another horse that is finished and has been showing for many years. So she is not my only horse, so if I need to resort to letting her alone longer I still have a horse to ride.

Help. I feel so confused on this and the heartbreak hurts. I don't want to give up my Fancy Pants.
    Last edited by Sloeryder; Jun. 5, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Have you had a vet check her over since this started? A personality change like that could very well mean that the horse hurts somewhere.

Also, just throwing out ideas here, what about something hormonal?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

How much work is she getting? What exactly happens in her "episodes".
    Are you sure she needs 10 lbs of grain/day? That seems like quite a lot.

As a point of reference, my OTTB is hot and a semi-hard keeper. He gets about 6.5 or 7 pounds of Triple Crown Senior per day plus hay and alfalfa pellets/day. He is turned out 24 hours/day and he is much more pleasant to be around if he is ridden 5-6 days/week.

Before giving up on your horse I would look long and hard at her feed regime (especially if she is on high quality hay and pasture) and also might consider looking at how much lunging you do. There is a danger of getting your horse too fit from lunging.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I had a PPE done on her with blood work when I first bought her and everything came out fine but not one since all this was going on.

To the hormonal statemt I actually had a friend suggest the same thing and that has had me thinking. They also suggested (Mare Magic?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

As a point of reference, my OTTB is hot and a semi-hard keeper. He gets about 6.5 or 7 pounds of Triple Crown Senior per day plus hay and alfalfa pellets/day. He is turned out 24 hours/day and he is much more pleasant to be around if he is ridden 5-6 days/week.

Before giving up on your horse I would look long and hard at her feed regime (especially if she is on high quality hay and pasture) and also might consider looking at how much lunging you do. There is a danger of getting your horse too fit from lunging.
    The only reason I've been giving her the feed amount is she seems to be a harder keeper and that was what NV wanted me to feed her. And I guess I have been a stickler to the contract on everything. ( I just wanted to make sure I did everything like I was supposed to).

She is only getting worked about three times a week right now. I work as a tack maker in a leather shop and with spring it's very busy

Her episodes I guess are best described as her completly coming out from under you and trying to get away by any way she can.

But in the last month and a half she is falling backwards. Her episodes are becoming more frequent and more dangerous.
    Specifics will help. How often? Now, and in the past?

What sets her off?

Then, what happens?

As exactly as you can describe it. Is she spooking at something? Resisting pressure as training steps up, such as being asked to back? Does she back up and then rear, or immediately rear? Does it escalate until over she topples full backwards - or is she going up, then rolling to the side over her haunch - how does it work?

Any chance you have a video? That would be enormously helpful for those with practical knowledge to share.

Why would you need 10 pounds of feed ? If I put my OTTB on 10 pounds of feed a day he would be crazy. A scoop of rice bran and 5 large flakes of hay (grass hay and one flake alfalfa is what my OTTB receives) is quite enough for regular work.

2 members found this post helpful.

First of all, that's a lot of feed for a horse only in work 3 days a week. What 12% feed are you using?

If she were mine, I would go ahead and give her a weeks worth of Gastrogard, cut the feed waaaay back, make sure the feed is a low NSC (like TC Senior) and stuff her full of hay. How much turnout does she get? In a herd or individual?

Are you drugging her to be able to ride her?

Did NV put in the contract that you had to feed 10lbs of a certain feed? From which NV location did you adopt?

I realize that not all TBs are the same, but my hardest keeper only got 6 lbs. of TC Senior and the other only got 2 lbs a day plus a vit/min supplement.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

It's all spook and OK, let me see if I can type this correctly. It's always when something is behind her. Whenever she faces anything head on she's fine. It's always about what's behind her.

She drops her rear end and bolts out straight, it's never to the side or a rear its always a forward bolt. After she almost acts like she's been doped. She will drop her head and sigh and walk off like nothing happened. A friend of mine described it as a horse coming out of a starting gate. It is the same way on the ground as well. It's always drops the rear end and bolts forward.

I too suspect it may be hormonal coup,Ed with the amount of feed. Must admit that quality pasture and hay would be my staple with minimal feed as a top up. Ten pounds of feed seems like a lot to me. Back to the hormonal issue - i notice with my mare that her cycles are not very strong until April and May. Then, during her heat cycles she can NOT focus, she is jacked up and I refer to it as her "losing" her brain. I started using regumate last year with fantastic results. She loses to work and can really focus. I honestly think it is worth a try.

When you have the vet out, get her vision checked.

And if you're worried about adjusting her feed, you can consult the vet about that too. Ten pounds of feed does seem like quite a bit. My OTTB eats half that daily. It may be that with the good quality hay and ample grass she's now getting, that much grain is not necessary.

What is she eating? Sweet feed? Pellets? You might want to try a low NSC feed like Triple Crown Senior.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    First of all, that's a lot of feed for a horse only in work 3 days a week. What 12% feed are you using?

If she were mine, I would go ahead and give her a weeks worth of Gastrogard, cut the feed waaaay back, make sure the feed is a low NSC (like TC Senior) and stuff her full of hay. How much turnout does she get? In a herd or individual?

Are you drugging her to be able to ride her?

Did NV put in the contract that you had to feed 10lbs of a certain feed? From which NV location did you adopt?

I was thinking about that! Something else that I noticed that was odd she still hasn't shed out her winter coat.

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    When you have the vet out, get her vision checked.

And if you're worried about adjusting her feed, you can consult the vet about that too. Ten pounds of feed does seem like quite a bit. My OTTB eats half that daily. It may be that with the good quality hay and ample grass she's now getting, that much grain is not necessary.

What is she eating? Sweet feed? Pellets? You might want to try a low NSC feed like Triple Crown Senior.
    She gets Purina Healthy Edge, BUT I AM VERY OPEN TO IDEAS OF CHANGING HER FEED!!

I have a OTTB mare that also has her moments of craziness. I started adding a handful of raspberry leaves to each feeding for her "moods". I tried chiro & massage with her; no discernable results. Acupuncture was the ticket. Her back was always sore right in front of her hips and acupuncture let her relax and heal. She is a different horse now with very few antics instead of it being the norm.

I would definitely try the Gastrogard. TC Senior is low in NSC, I know there are others as well, but that's what is easily available to me. I've not been impressed with Purina...IME they're just not forthcoming with information.

OK Triple Crown feeders How much are your horses getting? I'm looking up the info right now and I noticed it is WAY higher in fat and lower in Fiber than what I feed.

If you're looking at switching to TC Senior, I like to see how the horse maintains weight when eating about 6 lbs of TC Senior a day. You can always adjust and feed more if you find she's dropping weight.

I feed a large scoop rice bran and two scoops timothy hay pellets. I had an OTTB mare that was super hot. She never received anything more than hay, rice bran and hay pellets. She was a bolter and one spook and she was gone for the ride. I think your mare is fine since this is a behavior change. I would get her on more hay and see where you are. I also had to use regumate when I showed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd start at 5lbs of TC Senior, and then go up if needed. Lots of hay though, hay 2/47.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

I concur. That sounds like WAY too much grain to me. I'd lower her grain and add fat, such as soybean oil, for calories.