The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default Stall feeders... what's best?

Are those little holes you dump the grain in okay, or do I need doors that open and close? Because those doors are kind of messing up the look of my pretty stalls. Hay will be thrown down from the loft. I don't want the horses to have open spaces in the stall where they can be obnoxious, but I'd like a non-horse person to be able to feed without going in the stalls in a pinch.

TIA

Not sure what kind of holes you are talking about but we have drop down "door" ( part of stall grate) and then dump in feed to bin. Love this system! Fast and easy and don't have to dodge hooves. Used to have to go into stall to back corner while fending off horse and dump feed. Had way to many close calls!

Also find with the drop down door you don't loose the pretty-ness of the stalls ( ours aren't that insanely pretty more workmanlike).

Hope that helps!

P.

We have the little holes I believe you are talking about and they work great. Haven't had any issues. We grain with the standard plastic feed scoop, three quart I believe, and it fits just fine. Cats can even come and go through them should they decide to jump down from loft into closed stall.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

1 members found this post helpful.

Polydor--any photos of the drop doors you are talking about.

I know some people that had the swinging doors and they had issues with them not swinging correctly and getting stuck, completely negating their point.

Starrunner- Yup I can get you some this weekend. Pretty sure we may have come up with the design with the construction workers. Just a simple 2 hinges at the bottom and a latch at the top. Same width as the feed bin. Will get pics.

P.