The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I wish my Paso was "game." Instead I would describe him as hot and VERY reactive. Sigh. But I love him. NOT a beginner's ride. He WAS game at our first show last year, though.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

So what do you have when hot, forward and game is all wrapped into one? One hot mess or the ride of a lifetime?

Depends on who the rider is.

5 members found this post helpful.

^I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    So what do you have when hot, forward and game is all wrapped into one? One hot mess or the ride of a lifetime?
    Usually a really FUN ride, extremely responsive, no leg needed, but spooky at times. Except at the show, where we got there a day early, walked him all over the place, walked the arena, and rode in the arena. I think we tired him out the day before, second day of showing he had more energy than first day.

It poured the other day and I was not successful in riding in the indoor. Had to get off and try and just hand walk him around. But when he's "On," he's the ride of a lifetime. He's 8 now and is much improved and I'm hoping for more sanity as he ages. It's just his personality (which is why I got such an unbelievably well bred/super show lines horse for such a deal.) I lkie a challenge, thank goodness.

I have one too. He's an unbelievable ride and I trail ride. Point him anywhere, he'll do everything with exuberance. However be careful what you ask for...He has never been a spooky horse, his reaction to something that scares him is to go forward. Every vein popping, his great heart thumping, knees hitting his chin but forward none the less. The thrill of riding and controlling that kind of power is second to nothing.

In spite of the difficultness keeping a horse such as this it's been so worth it definitely MY ride of a lifetime. He make me feel so invincible

He is a product of my breeding program (ASB) and is 15 now. He's finally beginning to mellow a bit.

Oh, God, "finally beginning to mellow" at 15?!?!?!? Oh well. I keep telling him how very, very lucky he is that he ended up with me. I just deal with the personality. Luckily we both have great senses of humor.

Hot is negative, forward is neutral, and game is positive

I tend to think of a hot horse being one that wants to GO, all the time, no matter what, a forward one as one that likes to go but is polite about it, and a game horse as one that is willing to go if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Oh, God, "finally beginning to mellow" at 15?!?!?!? Oh well. I keep telling him how very, very lucky he is that he ended up with me. I just deal with the personality. Luckily we both have great senses of humor.
    Oh yes the humor. I nearly forgot about the humor. After one such 'humorous' camping event one of my riding buddies looked me in the eye and said, "I'd never want a horse that is smarter than me." He is such a character. I'm so lucky and honored to have him in my life.

I do have one more that is 8 years old now. He is out of Echos sister and has nearly the exact same personality, as did the sister and their dam. I had them all at one time. One hot mess I tell ya! The 8 year old has had 60 days of training at 4 years old by the same trainer that trained Echo. I have not ridden him yet. I'm kind a scared. My goal is to get him going trail wise this year as Echo has allergies and will develop heaves. So I want Ace to be my new Beast on the trail. I have a TWH for my mellow days.

However when I started riding Echo I was 41, now I'm 54 with a neck injury from a bad fall (not Echo). I'll just have pull up my big girl panties.

I have a super forward horse that is game for everything, but I don't consider him "hot". He has way more whoa than go, will try pretty much anything you ask if he thinks you mean it, and can be a freight train when he's excited. He is sensitive, but not spooky or reactive. My definition of a "hot" horse, is one that is reactive and temperamental, and can "check out" mentally on occasion when they get overloaded by situational things.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Depends on the definition of hot, I think.

If it's spooky and afraid of everything, a hot mess.

If it's the definition I use, which is just super high energy - as long as you have forward (but maintain brakes!) it's amaaaaaaazing. Schooling my horse in warmup at a schooling show last week we had all three of those things working together, and a crowd gaping because he did not take a single misstep with me, but was showing off huge movement and making me look good because he was so responsive my aids weren't just invisible - they were unconscious. If I could sit on that horse every single day - a horse who would have blown up if I had kicked him hard or something - I would!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

My Morgan is forward. GO GO GO. Quick, light footed. Not reactive at all, not exactly push button. the only horse my trainer has ever said "That pony doesn't need any more forward. I've never said that before."

My Oldenburg is HOT. Reactive. Prone to hissy fits of balking, head tossing, and witchyness if she doesn't get her way. She can be spooky, and flighty. If you ask correct, she reacts instantly without pursuasion. Then, of course, the wind blows and she shies.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I consider 'hot' to be a sensitive, reactive horse. They may or may not be spooky, but they'll react to a finger-wiggle.

'Forward' is a horse who moves out and holds the gait or goes faster with little or no prompting. He or she will often resist performing the slow version of gaits. Walk = power walk, trot = extended trot, canter = why don't we go ahead and gallop?

'Game' is a horse who is willing to attempt climbing a tree, jumping off a cliff, or any other lunacy the rider may ask. A good thing only as long as the rider has a sense of self-preservation and a grasp of basic physics.

All three together can either be the horse of a lifetime or a massive trainwreck, depending on the rider and actual (rather than wildly optimistic) abilities of the horse.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    A good thing only as long as the rider has a sense of self-preservation and a grasp of basic physics.
    Perfect description!

To me, there is a negative connotation to "hot". I love forward - my mare is always ready and willing to hit the trail, and she'll turn away from home, given the opportunity, even after hours and miles. I'd say game is up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I described the pony to a friend as "forward", he's a Saddlebred cross and the trainer calls him "game", and then of course there is "hot".

Are there differences? If so, what?
    From one ASB person to another:
    Game= ready to try anything. Not necessarily quickly. A willing participant. Serious about their work.
    Forward= energetic and no need for heals or clucking. The kind you hold back, but whoa still works..
    Hot= reactive and game/forward to the point of worrying and possible anxiety. These are the sweaty ones.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    From one ASB person to another:
    Game= ready to try anything. Not necessarily quickly. A willing participant. Serious about their work.
    Forward= energetic and no need for heals or clucking. The kind you hold back, but whoa still works..
    Hot= reactive and game/forward to the point of worrying and possible anxiety. These are the sweaty ones.
    I agree with this. Give me a game and/or forward horse any day, but to me a "hot" horse is always teetering on the verge of exploding which is something I don't particularly care for.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off ~ Gloria Steinem

I consider a "game" horse as one who is just LOOKING for what you want to do next. Out jumping, you might end up over a few additional fences, or have to pull the horse off on a line you were only near. There might be a lot of horse under you, but it's a horse that WANTS to work. They might be over eager and offer up transitions when you are only perhaps thinking about them.

Forward is a well trained horse in front of the leg. May be game, may be hot, but may be just well trained to the leg.

Hot is a horse that needs to be ridden quietly and carefully, or you might wind up with a LOT more than you expect. Hot horses can be game--willing to work for you--or nutty--just plan HOT without any sort of direction or desire to figure out what you want. The nutty ones might have little sense of self preservation.

IMO, any horse can be forward. That's training.

Hot is also not terribly rare. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of nutty hot horses out there. Sometimes they are nutty hot due to management or feed or just plain old bad riding.

Hot and GAME is the key for me. I LOVE a hot game mare. They're horses that really make you grow as a rider and will often only give it to you if you ask in the right way. They're so much fun.

Anyway, that's how I break it down.

Another factor to consider especially if they are "hot". Intelligence.
    I would not want hot + dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Oh, God, "finally beginning to mellow" at 15?!?!?!? Luckily we both have great senses of humor.
    Haha! That's me and my Ottb mare. We went through all three adjectives in the 12 years I've owned her, sometimes all 3 at the same time.

To me:
    game means interested in whatever rider asks and willing to try it.
    forward means horse has a natural desire to immediately and actively respond to rider's aids, and there is no "pedaling" / pushing etc. from rider involved.
    hot is a horse that is way too reactive in every sense. Spooky, flighty, sensitive...not always fun to ride!

Now, for the most part, Mare is game and forward. Hotness can resurface at times, but it's a good thing, otherwise I would be bored...lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!