The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I said it before on the other thread, consider Muscovy ducks. They are large enough as adults that the hawks leave them alone and truly nothing really bothers mine. They eat a ton of bugs.
    oh good idea, and they aren't half as noisy.

We had a couple of Indian Runners for a while - they ate a ton of slugs and we don't have ticks here. (Another good reason to love BC.) But they did poop all over the lawn and that was messy. We had a Jack Russell at that time and the ducks took no truck from them - sent them running.

Guinea fowl make good guard pets by giving warnings.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

The idea of French sound so exotic, so luxurious, but tough....no no no (and that is in French BTW). Go for US guineas. They will fight any war at any time, no NATO resolution needed.

3 members found this post helpful.

I said it before on the other thread, consider Muscovy ducks. They are large enough as adults that the hawks leave them alone and truly nothing really bothers mine. They eat a ton of bugs.
    Shallow, but... they...just...look...so...WEIRD! Do they really do a substantially better job on the ticks/bugs than their prettier duck relatives?

1 members found this post helpful.

..check out a picture of Indian Runners on the web - they are adorable, tall, skinny and straight with funny temperaments! I'd suggest duck appetites are all similar.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I honestly don't know how Muscovy's compare with other ducks but they are not really related to N. American Mallard derivatives...which is pretty much all other ducks. My understanding is they are more related to geese. Their origins are S. America despite their kind of Russian name. Apparently they were so named for their ability to eat mosquitoes. They do grubs also and will work their bills under ground to root them up. Should be interesting to see if I have less beetles later on here due to their efforts.

I have had the larger meat variety Pekins and the Muscovy's are 10 times more pleasant to have around..very quiet, self sufficient and they forage a large part of their diets year round here. I will slaughter some of the ducklings for roasters as part of our farm business and collect eggs to sell also. They more than pay their way here. They will also eat plant matter so it's not only bugs they eat.

I was once attacked by a barnyard Muscovy duck...in France. (lol - that French duck could fight and took no prisoner!)
    The ugly thing RULED the barn. Everyone, be it humans or other animals, went out of their way to avoid it. At the time, I wondered why the owners even had one. Maybe because of its bug-eating properties? lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Mine are not people aggressive at all. They are really quite shy.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
    The idea of French sound so exotic, so luxurious, but tough....no no no (and that is in French BTW). Go for US guineas. They will fight any war at any time, no NATO resolution needed.
    How about French guineas born in US soil? You know, kids whose parents were nationalized, therefore watered and fed on US nutrients? If I do get them, I will try to teach them to be good ole US soldiers. lol

2 members found this post helpful.

To be honest... Never raised a duck of any kind before... Though I did have a goose when I was a kid - wanted a pet but darn big mean sucker she turned out to be... Wasn't too sorry when she turned out on the dining table if you ask me Do you need a pond for these Muscovy ducks? A coop of some kind, or just leave them out? Will they stay around or just, you know, poofs to somewhere more exotic?

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Question: don't all birds eat ticks? Why the focus on guineas?
    If all do, then ducks geese and turkeys would be an option as well, right?
    No idea... Focus on guineas because when I was desperate for tick controls three years ago, that was the majority of the recommendation...

I've raised many a Muscovie. Indeed, they are not related to any other domestic duck - they can breed with them and create a mule hybrid though.

I always raised mine from ducklings. They learned very quickly that I was were food came from. Mine have always been fairly tame. They would follow me around and I could pat them a bit.

They WOULD attack dogs, which I found fairly hilarious.

In my last place, I had three acres and a group of eight. Once they were feathered, they had their run of the place. I kept a couple of kiddy pools for them to wash in, no pond. They would roam the pastures and eat bugs and clean up after the goats and ponies.

They DO fly. They preferred to sleep on my roof. This can be solved by trimming the feathers on one wing.

No loud quaking. Just hissing and soft noises.

Their meat is delicious - less fatty than domesticated duck. They grow quickly, grow large, and are excellent brooders and mothers.

I miss mine very much - they tried to shelter in their usual places near the house during the fire and inhaled too much smoke.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer ~
    Website | Facebook | Youtube

Keeping poultry is great for many reasons, and yes they do eat bugs. But in all honesty we have 17 chickens and 4 guineas and I can't say I notice a decrease in tick population. They free range over a large area, so it's not as if any one area will be picked clean of bugs. If you really want to keep 60-100 birds then yes, I could see it maybe making a difference. (But personally, the 4 guineas we have are loud enough as it is, I cannot imagine having dozens of them. Easier to control the few things that the ticks want to attach to (i.e. use repellent spray for me , and Frontline for the cats) vs. control the entire area they live in.

When my daughter had terrible ticks in her pastures, despite owning free range chickens, she got guinea fowl. The initial 6 guineas removed almost every tick from her 8 acres. She is now down to 3 guineas, and they seem to be able to keep the tick population at bay. I don't know the breed of her guineas.