The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick question: registering an uninspected trailer?

I just bought a used 2H trailer. It needs some welding work, and it's currently at the fabricator's shop to do the repairs.

I have the title in-hand, and I'd like to get the registration paperwork taken care of today. However, there's no way the trailer is going to be inspectable just yet-- it needs brake work and some reqiring of the lights, which we plan to do at home.

Will they allow me to register an uninspected trailer, so I can at least put a license plate on it? (This is in PA, by the way.)

I plan to go to AAA over my lunch break with fingers crossed... Of course I could call Penn-DOT, but I'd probably be on hold for the rest of the morning, lol...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Yep, you can get it registered no problem!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

In NY you get a 10 day temporary inspection when you register it. There is probably something similar in most states that require inspection.

Christa

Yes Pa doesn't care if it's inspected as far as registration goes.
    Kerri

Thanks!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Yes PA is completely backwards from my current state. You have to renew the registration each year BEFORE you can get it inspected.

I'm in NY but I register my trailer in Maine through the Staab Agency. So much cheaper than what NYS charges and Maine does not have an inspection requirement on their trailers. I pay $88 for a 5-year plate vs. $127.00 every year in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I'm in NY but I register my trailer in Maine through the Staab Agency. So much cheaper than what NYS charges and Maine does not have an inspection requirement on their trailers. I pay $88 for a 5-year plate vs. $127.00 every year in NY.
    do you have property in Maine? Does Maine allow non-residents to register vehicles there?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I know people who do this, and I have always wondered how it worked.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    do you have property in Maine? Does Maine allow non-residents to register vehicles there?
    No, I don't have property in Maine. Non-residents are able to register vehicles in the state. A lot of the big trucking companies have their trailers registered in Maine because you can get multi-year plates very cheap. Look at the tractor trailers on the road. You'll see a lot of them with Maine plates. Google Staab Agency and check out the website. She has FAQs on there. She was quick. I sent everything in, didn't need to send my original title - just a copy and had my plate in 5 business days.

I'm glad you have AAA to help you navigate the weirdness of PA laws... they certainly don't make things easy.
    If you didn't already do it, you can register your trailer for a whole five years now! One less thing to do every year, whoo hoo!