The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Of course he was slower than molasses in January and eventually they cut off his two largest problems, but I don't think he ever ran better than 4th.
    LMAO!!! You made me spit on my screen

I received the nicest horse I ever owned when a neighbor decided she "hated him". He was a pill on the ground, pinned ears about anything touching him, but was built like an Advanced Eventer & rode like a dream!!! She eventually regretted the decision when she realized how far I was getting riding him. Her problem was she took it personal - all his attitude & ear pinning. To me, horses just don't think that way, they aren't out to "get you".

So anyway, make sure you aren't making the horse worse by letting your own attitude affect how you handle & ride him.

That said I had a horse that didn't like the way I rode or handled him. It was a classic personality clash. I struggled with him for 3 years, and when I finally gave the reins to someone else, wish I'd done it 2.5 years sooner.

But I was the owner of that horse, and supposedly riding for fun.

As others have said, if you are an employee, and as long as you aren't scared or feel unsafe on this horse, get your legs around it and get the job done. You'll be rewarded later for being the employee willing to do whatever needs to be done, and it's a good exercise in self discipline!

2 members found this post helpful.

I completely agree that you can learn from any horse, but yes she's charging me for the lessons. I don't want to pay to ride a horse I hate.
    She thinks he's great because he's athletic and can move well but he's quiet. I'll admit he's good in that sense, he's good in shows. But he's just not the horse for me.

I guess I still don't understand why you don't like him? If he's athletic, moves well, and is quiet...what is wrong with him that you don't like riding him?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I learned long ago that as soon as you tell your riding instructor how much you hate riding a certain horse that horse becomes the horse they want you to ride all the time.

It sounds like you have a choice. You can ride this horse and learn something from it or you can ride somewhere else. Your trainer obviously sees how this horse might benefit you.

4 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    LMAO!!! You made me spit on my screen

As others have said, if you are an employee, and as long as you aren't scared or feel unsafe on this horse, get your legs around it and get the job done. You'll be rewarded later for being the employee willing to do whatever needs to be done, and it's a good exercise in self discipline!
    Hehe! IME, most colts could do with losing 5 lbs!

I also wanted to add after I read your part about being afraid, the trainer finally brought in a freelance guy to get on this POS when I started vomiting every morning before I got on him. I have been on hundreds of horses and this one was the first one that made me think he really wanted to kill me. I didn't just hate him for no good reason. Luckily the shedrow foreman liked me and frequently put the colt in a round pen for a bit before anybody showed up.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hate seems like a strong word for an animal, especially one that has done you no harm.

4 members found this post helpful.

If you are a paying client, trainer still does not have to explain why she says no to any particular horse you ask to ride. But you should have a talk with her about why she wants you on this particular horse. Is there something it can teach you the others can't? Is she pushing you to improve as a rider on the not so easy ones? And why do you call her "boss" if you are paying cash for rides and lessons? Or is this a WS kind of work off swapping labor for rides deal? Need a little more info to offer any meaningful advice regarding sucking it up or changing trainers.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

@ rustbreeches, I exercised for one summer in my thirties (call it my mid life crisis lol - I'm back to boring accounting now) -

There was only one that scared the beejeesus out of me - he would arbitrarily lay down, and then very carefully & quickly attempt to crush his rider! Fortunately more experienced riders than me wouldn't get on him either. The guy who did was so athletic, he could leap off in a split second and jump back on when the horse got up again. The trainer paid this guy an untold premium.

Your trainer sounds like was one of the good ones too. Afterall badly injured exercise riders are pretty useless to the trainer!

To OP, if you are paying to ride, that makes it different. Except this is still your boss, so you want to be tactful. Maybe come up with an agreement you will handle the ride for a certain time forward, during which you promise to do your best for the horse, at the end of which you and your boss will have found you something you like better. That gives her time to find the horse you don't like another paying rider, and hopefully with the good work you put in to him he'll be a good mount & you'll have the benefit of the discipline you'll gain making yourself do something you don't really want to. And hopefully maintain a good relationship between you and your boss.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    I guess I still don't understand why you don't like him? If he's athletic, moves well, and is quiet...what is wrong with him that you don't like riding him?
    I can't really explain why I don't like him, I just don't. I guess I could compare it to getting along with people. Some people you just click with and some you don't. It's not like I'm scared to ride him or anything, and like some people said about riding a difficult horse, he's not hard to ride. I'm happy riding challenging horses. I just don't like him, I can't really explain it.
    But definitely on the ground I can't stand him. He's very pushy and he doesn't listen when I tell him to move over or anything. My boss/trainer worked on thy last summer but apparently it didn't do any good.

Oh also with riding him, he's just awkward to jump. I can't explain why it's awkward but I don't like it, so I guess that's one reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseCrazyChick1234 View Post
    I can't really explain why I don't like him, I just don't. I guess I could compare it to getting along with people. Some people you just click with and some you don't. It's not like I'm scared to ride him or anything, and like some people said about riding a difficult horse, he's not hard to ride. I'm happy riding challenging horses. I just don't like him, I can't really explain it.
    But definitely on the ground I can't stand him. He's very pushy and he doesn't listen when I tell him to move over or anything. My boss/trainer worked on thy last summer but apparently it didn't do any good.

Oh also with riding him, he's just awkward to jump. I can't explain why it's awkward but I don't like it, so I guess that's one reason.
    I see no reason for you to not ride the horse then... But if you're paying for lessons and "hate" him you can tell the trainer you want a different horse or you will have to take your business elsewhere? I don't know... I don't get that offended by a horse who hasn't attempted to kill me so I can't really relate.

I still don't understand if you are trading work to pay off the lessons or are a regular cash paying client. But if you just don't like him, he is not dangerous and you do not own a horse but depend on others to have something to ride?? I don't think you are in a position to refuse to ride anything offered. Unless you want to find another trainer but they may not have anything you care for available for you either.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I used to ride another horse for someone else, with my own instructor. I only did it because she was my boarder, and a big Percheron bully that eeded a job, so the owner who didn't ride, asked if I would ride her if she paid for it. One day my instructor said, "You don't treat this horse the same way you do the others.", which hit me like a ton of bricks. I really hated her owner and it reflected in the way I treated the mare, which was hardly fair to the horse. My attitude slowly changed after that - I realized that it's not the horse's fault, that she was only a reflection of me.

I say ride what you can and remember it's an animal. I'm not sure how a person can "hate" an animal, but if you are as young as I think you are, you just need to realize you've got a lot to learn from that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseCrazyChick1234 View Post
    This sounds like a handler problem, not a horse problem. Re-check the way you are treating this horse that you "hate", and see if you're being fair to him. If you're shoving him over and treating him unkindly, then you may get a pushy response.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by In the Air View Post
    If a working student of mine told me three times that they hated a horse they were assigned to ride they would find themselves with out anything to ride pretty quick. I would never assign them anything they could not ride, we don't keep dangerous animals but if it is on your ride list then your bottom needs to be in that saddle with a smile on your face.
    I just had this situation with a working student. The horse she usually rides has an injury and is on stall rest. She was asked to ride a pony (the girl is small and light weight) in a lesson. She went home for supper and did not return for her lesson, because she did not want to ride the pony. I am beyond angry and amazed with the attitude. I just don"t get it.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

3 members found this post helpful.

Also on the pushy note...are you just leaning into him? My horse if you lean into him...he just leans right back.

But if I poke him with my finger a few times in the side (maybe a swat to get his attention if he's totally tuning me out), he'll move over.

My guy isn't normally pushy, but he is a big guy and without defined limits he definitely could be. I try to keep the boundaries clear and there's always that thought of, "you're going to listen to your handler, dangit". Sometimes that's reinforced with treats and pats when he's good. Sometimes it's reinforced with me backing him the heck up if he goes too far.

So anyway, I don't know how you're handling this horse, but it might be, like hundredacres says, a handler problem. Some horses you can just ask politely for them to do things (like move over). Some horses you have to be more assertive with. (and I'm not talking about smacking the crap out of them with a whip or anything, to make that clear)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

One more thing: I had another boarder, a teenager, who hated her horse - and the horse hated her. Once day I told her that the mare is worth her weight in gold and that I'd take her any day. My daughter was 6 years old then and she could ride her (even when she's just finished a bucking tantrum with her owner)...finally the owner grew up and realized it was HER not the horse, and she spent a few more years adoring the horse the way we did. I ended up buying her from her recently because the girl graduated from college, and she cried so hard putting her on the trailer. It's funny that this was the girl who hated that mare 6 years prior .

I'm positive that if you hate a horse, you have some soul searching to do.

7 members found this post helpful.

I can't say I've ever truly hated a horse. I've definitely been on ones who I don't consider "my" type of ride or have been less than pleasureable to be on but being put on those types of horses have made me a million times better of a rider.

In your case, with the horse being kind of a pill on the ground and "awkward" to fences, I see that as a challenge to start to try and improve upon things! Maybe with some consistency or thinking outside of the box you can turn this guy into someone you (and others) enjoy handling, and riding.

now I am confused. I thought it was your Boss. Trainer?? Both?
    You do work for your trainer but she gives you lessons and you pay for them on horses she chooses? Okay, Ride him, He sounds like an okay guy.
    Jumps funny? You know they all have a style, I used to ride a friends horse that practically wrenched my lower back everytime he jumped. And he was not an athletic horse, but he got the job done. Turned out me being better in the tack and more weight in my heels solved the problem. So see, You will always bring away something from every horse you sit on. You are cheating yourself by being picky. I could see if he reared or bucked or was a dirty stopper but that is not the case. What happens if you want to go to a working student position with a big name trainer, there may be horses you do not like You have to ride them. As they say, Git er done! You may surprise yourself.
    And maybe give him a carrot and be a little nicer to him on the ground. He is picking up your dislike of him.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

You sound pretty young. If this horse is sane and athletic, he will have something to teach you. Stop griping and ride the horse. Learn what you can with him, and move on when your boss/trainer tells you too. Maybe if you focused on your ride more and the fact that you 'hate' him less, you'll understand.

As a horse person, you are going to have times when you have to deal with a horse that you don't like. You can either handle it like a professional and ride what you have or you can act like a spoiled 12 year old, whine, complain, and throw a tempertantrum. Your choice. If he was unsafe, it'd be one thing... but he's not.

Deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

8 members found this post helpful.