The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

findeight - some of our computers at school do that in Firefox. They show up in existing pages. I don't type anything on those computers so I don't know about that. Anyhow someone told me it was some sort if virus or something that was browser specific. My understanding is that it was an annoyance not a threat to your system. Not sure how bad it is if you click on one of the links, many of which seem to be ads.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thanks Peggy, I had to install Firefox to be compatible with some of my company stuff but am running in IE10 which is my default browser at the moment, perhaps I will uninstall the FF but not until I am done with the company stuff that hates IE10. Maybe that will get me back to where I was. If that doesn't work I can check the Windows firewall which currently has Mozilla as an exception. It's not that tragic for now, just really annoying.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm still running IE7 (at work) and see nothing at all with your posts Findeight. They look perfect
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

When in doubt: Pin the the least scary round first.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks. Im an old softy so the kid with the most adorable grey pony braided nicely and turned out in the correct attire with the courtesy circle and steady trot just seemed to be the prettiest ride. The little one did exactly what her trainer told her and then didnt win to the flying round it was kinda sad to me. I know thats not how you judge a clas, but since i was standing close to this trainer and heard the instructions and she seemed to know what she was doing i got confused.
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Especially locals, just because they are judging does not mean they are experts in everything they judge-and many locals are multi discipline and unwilling to hire a second judge or pay them much-if anything.

The pretty ride with the courtesy circle was probably the most appropriate for that rider at that level on that pony and she's a winner over the yee haw round on the wrong lead in a class that traditionally does not penalize trotting whether an uneducated, inexperience judge thought so or not. If trotting is penalized under the standard of that particular show? She is still a winner because it looked good and she did what trainer told her to do and that's going a lot farther then attempting something she is not ready for yet.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

We do have a crossrails class at our local show organization that is supposed to be ridden at the canter. Horses do trot it, Heck, one of the kids that rides at my barn took one of my greenies in it and trotted in cantered out a few, some horses trotted it completely, others cantered it. If it was a cantering only class...then it make sense that they would penalize for a trot.

Now as for the courtesy circle, if the first jump is coming toward the ingate then its not required. I will say that if I'm on a rank greenie, I do the scenic tour before my first fence to let them settle and that seems to be fine...its never really hurt my placings to have a nice little trot around and through the center of the ring before picking up the canter vs. a spooky (usually not round) circle at the in gate. If it did hurt...I'd still do it since I prefer to keep my babies quiet and relaxed and give them a good experience (plus I come from a jumper background where we get to do the 60 second "tour" at the start of our course).