The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it common....

for a retailer to be selling a saddle for more than you paid for it? Okay, okay, I know that sounds stupid, but I was a little surprised! Feel free to laugh at me

While checking on a few things I'm watching on Ebay this morning I see this saddle and think "hmm, that looks like MY saddle...surely it's not" and take a look. Guess what? It is! (I still have the serial number on file so it was easy to figure out)

This is a high-end saddle I sold to a Canadian (Toronto area) buyer in March. She is also a retailer and sold it for what she paid, plus shipping. Now it's California with a bigger name retailer and listed for more than I paid for it new in 2006, minus the cover (that part isn't a big surprise).

Perhaps I'm stupidly naive about this, but is this common? Aren't saddles supposed to depreciate instead of appreciate in value? Not that I can do anything about it (nor do I want to), but I'm just kind of slack-jawed over this discovery!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

That's pretty typical. Larger companies think that with their reputable name people will spend more. They usually sit on it longer then the average person. Who typically is a crunch to get rid of a saddle.

I had a saddle seller just buy the last saddle I had listed with the intent of selling it for more.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sure it is!

IMO, however, it's getting harder to do. That advent of ebay allows everyone to find comps for their saddle and price it accordingly. OP, did you do that? Did you sell your saddle for an amount you knew was under market value?

It seems to me that by the time anyone uses Ebay and pays its fees, they might as well use it to do their marketing research. It makes the hunt for the "they don't know what they have"-type deal harder in this day and age.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Huh...interesting!

I guess that's the rock I live under when I buy or sell used privately (or via Ebay) instead of through a named retailer! New is always in-store.

Thanks for the info, limitless!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

OP, don't feel like a doof. Ebay is such an expensive PITA that many people are retreating to the old world way and paying a commission to have a tack store do the selling for them.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP, I had done the research and set what I felt was a fair price for this saddle, comparable to what CWD, Beval, and a few others had similar ones listed for. I actually dealt directly with the person who bought it. I knew she was a retailer, but she also wanted to try the saddle on her own horse. She let me know about 2 weeks after she bought it that she was listing it. SHE loved it, her horse did not (nothing unusual for a Butet, I'm afraid). Like I said, she listed it for the same amount I sold it.

You'd think I'd have realized this wasn't unusual after working in retail for a while! I suppose I just never considered it with something like used tack since *I* kind of approach that in the same manner as used cars. Oops.

HAHA! I don't feel like a doof, just a sheltered blonde! Not really, I know there's a ton of markup in riding. I just never figured it was THAT much on used tack! (we're talking a $600 difference)

I use Ebay a fair amount for a variety of things, but the reason this particular listing surprised me is it is from a larger name tack store that plenty of people frequent.

I think it is like used cars...a dealer can get more for a used car than a private seller can. The dealer has to charge more, to cover their overhead and their profit (they are a business after all). They CAN charge more because they provide more services, and more security for the buyer than a private party does. Used saddle retailers are often providing services like trial periods and fitting advice that are worth something to the buyer. I've certainly paid more for a used saddle from a well known retailer than from a private party, and I'd expect to.

I guess I am guilty of this. As a private seller, I had a nice Crosby saddle in excellent condition that I bought used for $250 in the 1980's. About 2003 I advertised it for $500 which was a little lower than what other people were asking on-line for the same saddle/condition. I fully expected to bargain, but the first person who enquired about it did not question the price so that is what I sold it for.

True...and that's the same thought process I take with used tack (as used cars).

But this saddle is now listed for more than it was new. It's actually listed for $300 more than I paid new...straight out of the barrel-shaped box pretty much as soon as it was delivered to the tack store new. That's where my is coming from. But if it's not uncommon, then I shouldn't be shocked!

Well the retailer can list it for whatever they want...doesn't mean it will sell at that price! That's the reason I always look at completed listings when using eBay as a guide for how to price something, or what price to pay for something. The only thing that matters is what someone was willing to pay, not what was asked .

Waaaaay back when, I sold my pancake Crosby PDN, three years old, for more than I paid for it new. They were a hot commodity back then (1980ish) and the price had gone up on new ones after I bought it...it was still less than a new one, just more than I'd paid. There was also some value in getting one already broken in, I remember how long it took to get that bright orange, stiff, saddle dark and soft and comfy. New, high end, saddles now come comfy enough that that isn't so compelling.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Like I said, she listed it for the same amount I sold it..
    Wha? So what's all the hubbub, bub? She sold it for what she paid (and presumably lost shipping plus Ebay fees? Did I misread somewhere? I thought your original issue was that she jacked up the price?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    But this saddle is now listed for more than it was new. It's actually listed for $300 more than I paid new...straight out of the barrel-shaped box pretty much as soon as it was delivered to the tack store new. That's where my is coming from. But if it's not uncommon, then I shouldn't be shocked!
    Oh. Now I get it.

IMO, this is very, very unusual. Saddles have become much more of the "planned obsolescence" type good than they were in, say, the 1960s. Think computers and cars, not houses.

In any case, you must give the unusual saddle credit, not any person. Very wacky.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Very, very odd. I know of very few saddles that go for more used than new. The only time I know of it happening is when someone didn't want to wait the 12-16 weeks for a new saddle straight from the manufacturer, and essentially bribed someone who wasn't looking to sell their saddle to sell it for more than they paid so the person could have it right away.

Joiedevi99, that's where my thought process was. I guess it's not that way any longer!

MVP, sorry to have confused you. This isn't the person who bought from me, it's after her. I really don't know if someone in California bought it from her and then took it in on consignment, or if the tack shop that has it now bought it. Either way, if they get what they have it listed for, I'll be impressed! I only rode in in it about 20-30 times, so it's still basically new, but what do I know?

Ahh, the PDN pancake! I actually sold my 1991 Commemorative version that got me through my Junior through my 30th birthday about a year ago (WELL past my 30th by then). It was no longer rideable...but I sometimes miss it! I definitely did not get more than I paid for it

Depending on the saddle yes it's possible.

I've had it happen to me before. Either b/c I got a great deal in the first place (esp. on ebay, if the listing doesn't have great pictures, or they spell "niedersuss" wrong or something and get few bids), or b/c the saddle actually became a "classic" over time. In the case of this retailer, it sounds like they are just testing the waters.

I have purchased saddles on more than one occasion, used them for a while, and then sold them for more money. In fact, in two cases I made about 100% profit. The one saddle I sold to a friend, and she later sold it for even more, so it went up in price on at least two consecutive sales. I've seen other copies of the saddle I currently own on sale at tack shops for $150 - 300 more than what I paid, so if/when I sell this one I may again make money. It's all about looking for a good deal initially and finding the perfect price point when selling. You can sell for as high as someone is willing to pay!

Also, keep in mind that just because they have it listed at that price it may not sell at that price.

Most used tack depreciates, but certain saddles are less common and if those models are in demand I can see where they might sell very high.

I have an original Orthoflex Stitchdown. Since the company changed hands, I regularly see this saddle (original maker) for sale for a good bit more than I paid for it. Nice to know, if I ever decide to part with it. :-)
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

If its a major retailer listing it on Ebay they usually list it for significantly more than what they expect to get. IMO, especially with craigslist etc becoming more popular, Ebay is going to outlast its usefulness. I suppose for higher end items though its unlikely anyone who regularly scours craigslist will be spending that much. Hence probably why Ebay will start to charge more and more for sellers fees.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey