The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Grosgrain is the type of ribbon that has a ribbed texture and is sturdier than the shiny satin types of ribbon. Here are a few images:

http://ribbons.com/what-is-grosgrain...yles-crafting/

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_2740317...ain-ribbon.jpg

http://www.hellotrade.com/la-ribbons...in-ribbon.html

Nap is what she's referring to as the texture on certain fabrics, like suede or flannel or fleece fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Now see that is creative! Sadly all I can do is crochet Dish Cloths,
    Put the dishclothes together and you've got a cooler!

In fact, thanks for the idea! I've been contemplating a hand/home made cooler for my horse in a fun pattern but give up when I think of the sheer volume. But I like doing "samplers", and that will be even more unique. I just have to find the right weight thread.

OP ... I, too, enjoyed your blog and the lovely finished product. What a great way to reuse horsey items.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

1 members found this post helpful.

This is awesome!! Makes me want to ask my MIL if i can borrow her sewing machine!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by TBPONY View Post
    Can you take pictures of your other saddle pads so we can see how awesome they are? Thanks!!
    Here's one and another. I have the best dressed horse in the barn .

ETA: Here's a fuzzy picture of us at his first show, all decked out in pink!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    But those pads are a great idea, you can custom make them anyway you can think of, and they would be great for Secret Santa gifts!
    I'm thinking about offering to make a couple at cost for my barn to give out as horse show prizes, maybe for the hunter rider with the most points and for the jumper rider with the most points, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by californianinkansas View Post
    I really like your writing "voice." I've added your blog to my bookmarks.
    Thanks! My problem is that sometimes my voice comes through in essays and papers for school . I can only be serious for so long, then the sarcasm starts coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Very pretty. I've never thought of covering a pad but I have bought quilted mattress covers and started from stratch. I didn't find it that much work but I have no life. Not as "solid" as starting with a ready made pad, but they work. I too, enjoyed your blog.
    I've made a scratch pad from quilted material I got at Jo-Ann Fabrics. The problem I have is that it's quite flimsy... I suppose you could get thin foam or use a ton of cotton batting, but that gets expensive and time consuming. But a baby pad made from bought quilted fabric would work well.. Then again, the thought of putting on binding is making me cry a little, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    You are hilarious!

I would buy that pad from you - you should go in to business on Ebay or Etsy.
    I can sew but am way too lazy to put that much effort in to something that my horse is going to sweat on.
    Thanks! Haha, I can't imagine going into business... I would have to put in a whole lot more effort! I did have Vera Bradley pads I was trying to sell, but I ended up having to sell them at a loss just to get rid of them. If someone wanted to commission a pad, that's different.. I just can't justify the time and expense of making a stock of pads that may or may not sell.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoAmor View Post
    I need to find a sewing machine! I have many old pads that I have thought about just getting rid of but this is a much better idea! Have you washed them yet? How do they hold up?
    I haven't washed one of these yet. I used to do pads with just ribbon border, and those held up very well. I think these ones would be fine.. we tend to think of homemade things as being delicate, but the materials are the same as store bought things. My mom is an RN and used to make scrub tops, and they lasted forever! That said, I'll probably wash them on a delicate cycle and hang dry, just because I don't want to risk damaging the pretty. (Because horses aren't damaging enough .)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Or you could quilt the project a little more than you have done to make a nice look, especially if using a plain or solid colored fabric.
    Oh, definitely! I find quilting to be horribly boring, so I do the bare bones! If you were REALLY ambitious, you could quilt in a pretty design, like concentric hearts or a flower or something. I'm working on a pad now, I'm experimenting with being extra-lazy... rather than several U shapes, I'm doing a big X. Two straight lines, how much easier can it get?

One caution for fancy quilting: If you're overlapping stitching, be sure your fabric is nice and taut, otherwise extra fabric will bunch and tuck at the stitching intersections.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    That's really neat! Thanks for sharing. I would not have thought making a "custom" pad could be quite so easy
    You can make one, take it to the barn, and watch everyone be amazed at how incredibly talented you are!

Quote Originally Posted by SFrost View Post
    I kept thinking about making my own saddle pad from scratch. Then my sewing machine screams "NO" from the closet. I check my anti-anxiety meds, and there never seems to be enough to cover such a project. So I go buy a new saddle pad. Never in the color or design I want.
    Needing pretty saddle pads is exhausting, isn't it? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Put the dishclothes together and you've got a cooler!
    LMAO, I want to see the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    This is awesome!! Makes me want to ask my MIL if i can borrow her sewing machine!
    Do it!!!!
    VW sucks.

I love this!
    I have to take my sewing machine to the shop to get it working again after my last crafting disaster, but it will be worth it.

amastrike, YOU are the daughter my mother ordered...
    Quarry Rat

2 members found this post helpful.

You could probably do a no sew version of this by using 3M Headliner And Fabric Adhesive (a spray glue used to put the cloth on the interior ceiling of your car) and using Tear Mender glue on the ribbon. Both are washable and permanent but keep the fabric soft and pliable. They also both have the advantage of being quick setting. The Tear Mender is dry in 5 minutes and machine washable in 15. I use the tear mender on my horse blanets and have even glued together the crotch of my favorite pair of jeans. Tear Mender is available at TSC in the tarps section and the 3M headliner adhesive should be available at any auto parts store.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great job. If I had a horse within 100 miles, was riding instead of limping, and they made a baby pad big enough for a cutback I'd be all over this.

One suggestion, Wonder Tape might help around the corners. The stuff is AWESOME. I passed over it many times because I'm cheap, but when I finally had a good enough coupon, I fell in love.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...31-132628058-2

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing!

Just bumping to see if anyone made a pad, and if so, any pictures?
    VW sucks.

Question: What is nap?
    Answer: Nap is what I do instead of creating clever and useful items like these!

Well done Amastrike!

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome!! Thank you for the clear and helpful pictures. I am visual so reading the step and then seeing the picture makes such a big difference.

I hope people follow up and post their creative DIY saddle pads.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Just bumping to see if anyone made a pad, and if so, any pictures?
    I haven't made one yet BUT just last weekend my cat decided to chew half a corner off one of my pads, so instead of throwing it away I have it folded and ready to be sewn a new life with your saddle pad guide. Now if only my sewing machine wasn't out of order...

OP, have you made any more pads?

When I got my new saddle (which doesn't fit on a "normal" size saddle pad) I started making my own in a very similar manner, I just make mine from scratch. I really like the challenge of making pads from scratch, but I'll admit, if I didn't have to have a custom sized pad, I would definitely be using your method to revamp my older, worn out pads.

This pad is lovely by the way, now I want to make a pink one too!

I loved the comment "But if you have a fancy pants industrial sewing machine, you probably don't need my advice, so get lost, make your own photo guide! "
    Sandy in Fla.