The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Weird - Kind of morbid question

So we brought home our dogs ashes. We have her on a shelf and Dynamite my other dog is facinated by the jar. It is sealed, but I have seen her go up to it many times and lick the jar. Normally she ignores everything that is not food or a ball.

My question is, do you think she can smell Shade? My kids keep asking me and I have no idea what to tell them.

Anyone had anything similar happen?

I wouldn't rule it out. They can smell 10,000x better than we can.....

I think its possible!

I had three bunnies in separate urns. One day, out of the blue my dog (now also in an urn) decided to set the bunnies free...yes, all of them, .... all over my bed. :O

I was a bit angry, frusterated but then looked at the funny side of it. The blanket went promptly outside and was shaken over the farm's fields. I think the bunnies would have liked it out there anyway.

Now that I have learned my lesson, the current urns (that sounds kind of morbid) are behind closed doors

Eww poor bunnies.

I would just die if something like that happened to Shade. I can see the urn being put somewhere else eventually. Don`t think MIL would be pleased to visit and have Shade in the living room. But then again I am the weird animal lover.

Dyna must smell Shade, she was just over sniffing at the urn and wagging her tail. She seems happy at least.

I don't think it is weird that they notice. I have all my urns on a shelf in my bedroom, including my horse's.

My mother is right next to Pinch and Siren. Three great bitches in the china cupboard Anywho, I wouldn't be surprised if Dyna can smell Shade and that's a GOOD THING because it means you weren't ripped off by the crematorium! Also, a sign that Dyna might have an untapped talent as a cadaver dog.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    My mother is right next to Pinch and Siren. Three great bitches in the china cupboard Anywho, I wouldn't be surprised if Dyna can smell Shade and that's a GOOD THING because it means you weren't ripped off by the crematorium! Also, a sign that Dyna might have an untapped talent as a cadaver dog.
    See now that is something I would do out of love, keeping everyone together.

I guess I just never thought about peoples or animals ashes before.

It is comforting to KNOW it is her in there. But heartbreaking too. I still have trouble believing Shade is really gone forever. I miss my little girl.

It is hard bringing your pet home in a box, but I feel some comfort having them home.

I went to the dr asking for some anti-anxiety meds after I lost my horse a few months ago. He asked me about if I had him buried, etc. I mentioned that i had him cremated, then he asked what I was going to do with the box. I was like, great, he is feeling out if I am crazy! He then proceeded to tell me he and his family had several boxes with their beloved family dogs that had passed, and his parents were on the shelf with them because they had never told him what they wanted done with their ashes.

I don't think it is weird if you want to keep her in the living room if that is what makes you feel better. It doesn't matter what your MIL thinks about it!

Well she does think my house is a zoo. But loves the way my kids turned out. So I`m not all bad.

Now I`m down to 1 dog, 1 house cat and 1 garage cat (he refuses to be a pet most of the time). It`s too quiet now, I hate it.

I really do want a puppy. I`m just not mentally ready for the war with my husband about it. I could have told him how much he was going to regret his way with Shade. She was HIS dog and he never appreciated her love. I admit I wanted that puppy more than anything and totally brainwashed her. Made Daddy coming home the best time of her day. Of course he always asked me why I never greated him like she did. Ya right

Kryswyn - I don`t know about a cadaver dog, but I have two almost teenagers. Maybe I should teach her to sniff out other stuff - hmmm.

I would seriously love to have her become a therapy service dog for me. She is a mix goods breeds for it - Golden Retriever & Lab. But I`m not sure how she would react to me having a panic attack in a crowd. She might think I need defending. But she is my go to at home for calming down, so she might just become extra sucky and beg for my attention.

there's an infamous video on youtube where they collect a scent article- touch a cloth to a person- had that person go hide, and burned the scent article and the dog was able to take enough scent off the ashes to be able to find the person.
    It's good you have the ashes- one of my dogs died at the vet hospital, and I didn't bring home anything except her collar, and the other dogs spent weeks looking for her all over the house and yard and any time we went to a park she'd gone to often. You could see how puzzled they were about where she'd gone.