The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

He's been working on an English version of his saddle all along so it's not like he's out of the blue making me a saddle. There are challenges to treeless without the external support to keep the saddle off the withers (the big pommel in the EZ fit).

It is pretty cool. He's Amish and a complete nerd about saddles and tack! Talking to him about saddle fit just blows my mind.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'm an eventer but I recently went through the trial of getting a new dressage saddle and I wanted to chime in.

It isn't so much the flap on the knee/thigh block that is the problem. When it extends past your knee it is more likely to push your lower leg way back because it is holding your thigh under you. When your leg bends there isn't room for your knee to pop forward, breaking the hip to ankle line. This isn't always the case if the flap is set forward enough but it is something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Oh, Paula, you had to go there and mention Danskos I have at least 6 pairs of hadda-have-might/might fit without socks/AND THEY'RE ON SALE old school Danskos in my "nevermore" closet, along with the size 4s, 6s, and many more et ceteras
    Hey if ya wanna send the 6s my way wink wink!
    For me depends adult shoes soo narrow! I do 6 in kids im between 3.5-4.5 dont yall hate cuz i can wear the light up shoes! Plus with ra velco is my friend!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    Hey if ya wanna send the 6s my way wink wink!
    For me depends adult shoes soo narrow! I do 6 in kids im between 3.5-4.5 dont yall hate cuz i can wear the light up shoes! Plus with ra velco is my friend!
    Well, shoot, I recently sent to Goodwill, a pair of kid's size 6ish Danskos (with skulls on them!) that my son out grew last year, because we couldn't find anyone who fit in them. Darn.

I'm having lots of trouble with shoes for the boy...he's just outgrown kids shoes and is too small for men's shoes, yet women's are too narrow in the heel. For once, I'm hoping his feet grow really fast, so we can move into men's shoes! Hopefully over the summer, because he can wear Crocs to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Well, shoot, I recently sent to Goodwill, a pair of kid's size 6ish Danskos (with skulls on them!) that my son out grew last year, because we couldn't find anyone who fit in them. Darn.

I'm having lots of trouble with shoes for the boy...he's just outgrown kids shoes and is too small for men's shoes, yet women's are too narrow in the heel. For once, I'm hoping his feet grow really fast, so we can move into men's shoes! Hopefully over the summer, because he can wear Crocs to get by.
    Darn! Hmm yeah crocs should work and if you want extra support go get the ones at nursing uniform stores that way the womens wont be narrow

Paula almost every saddle has a too long flap for me. The exception is my 18" cc crosby but its super foreward

I have the issue of long thigh and ridiculously short calf(like think semi custom boots)

I sometimes mark my saddle pads with my boots while riding

It doesnt generally inhibit me but love mono flaps and short girths they give me a closer feel
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

My custom saddle has made a huge difference for me - I'm 5'1" and have never had a saddle with short enough flaps. The day I got my new saddle we were doing 1/2 canter pirouettes just for fun because I *could* with this saddle. Besides my seat issues, I always wondered why my horse was more responsive with other people, and I suspect the fact my legs were separated from him by two layers of leather was part of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I do think you need a bigger seat or a more open seat. If you look closely in the picture, you'll notice how the cantle of the saddle is pushing against your bum a bit, and rocking you on to your pubic bone. This will result in some serious lower back pain, or a fork seat. Neither is fun.
    You, my dear, were blessed with a derriere as was I. I've found that I have to go up a full inch in a deep seated saddle, or find one with a long sweet spot (the lower point in the saddle is a 3-4" flat space) to not royally screw up my position. Sit in Albions SLK, Passiers Grand Gilberts from the mid 90's, or the Custom with the short knee blocks. All of those seats have been fine for maintaining my position and riding pain free. The worst was a Prestige Grand Dressage. Oh. My God those are not made for tall ladies with butts! Hopefully once you find the magic seat, he can design your saddle around how it is contstructed/angles, etc.

I think hip to knee it fits you lovely. The flap length is fine, but if we are nitpicking, I'd take it up one inch.
    I don't think the saddle is pushing Paula that way - I think that's her seat/position issue she needs to fix through longeing and core work I referred to in her other thread. It's amazing how much more space there is in a saddle when you sit correctly instead of "duck butt."

That said, I think it will require a shorter stirrup and more bent knee - and therefore I think the larger saddle size is needed for femur length.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Imho perhaps slightly bigger seat, but the thighs are too lower/straight (which cause the pelvis to be anteriorly tilted because the panels being too long/straight). The horse should be able to feel the lower calf (too short and the boots get caught).

And you live close to the dansko outlet...lucky u.
    What ideayoda said here.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm very tall (5'10plus), with a 17" femur. I have a Passier GG Extra, which is wonderful for me and fits my various horses. I just bought a used, 17.5 custom Albion buffalo leather saddle with no gussets, suede seat, suede knee rolls, serge panels, MW, and it fit my 15.1hh mare perfectly. I got on and was appalled, because I could not get my legs on her due to the blocks..I almost put it up for sale, but I just couldn't...so, I got a razor and snipped the blocks out and folded the leather under itself. This saddle now allows me to feel like a centaur. Very close contact, legs drape, no struggle...heaven. I don't like the newer saddles that have too much "stuff" between me and the horse. Less is more IMO. Now..hmm...brown boots...lol

3 members found this post helpful.

Have you actually ridden in that saddle? Or do you just like the feel of sitting in it at the tack shop?

Because the flap looks too long and straight -- enough to make it hard to post. Overall, does not look right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    He's been working on an English version of his saddle all along so it's not like he's out of the blue making me a saddle. There are challenges to treeless without the external support to keep the saddle off the withers (the big pommel in the EZ fit).

It is pretty cool. He's Amish and a complete nerd about saddles and tack! Talking to him about saddle fit just blows my mind.

Paula
    Reading this I am confused because if the saddle is being custom made for you is there a reason the flap can't be cut accordingly?

No, he just asked me to find a fit I like. I was wondering if there was any reason not to like this long flap. He has an English prototype and frankly I'm not convinced I shouldn't just get that with a longer flap.

Paula

I agree with the others in that the flap looks fine but the seat looks way too small. I bought a hard to find saddle and the flaps are really long. I hate the way it looks but I love the saddle. I havent had any issues with it being too long other than the look. You want room to move in the seat, if you have no room, you will be hitting the cantle and that can be very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    No, he just asked me to find a fit I like. I was wondering if there was any reason not to like this long flap. He has an English prototype and frankly I'm not convinced I shouldn't just get that with a longer flap.

Paula
    Can you get a photo of you sitting in his prototype?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have a picture of his prototype, but I am wary of putting it on the web. Let me ask permission first. I haven't sat in his prototype, but I ride his EZ fit so I know how his seat sizing fits me. So I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I mean all I'm interested in is a dressage-legal treeless from him. I don't need knee blocks or big rolls, a deep seat or anything fancy.

Let me make sure I can post it.

ETA: I got permission. Remember this is a prototype.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8...4c34039ee0.jpg

Paula
    Last edited by paulaedwina; May. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM.