The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots and boots and more boots

I apologize for the dumb question. But, can someone please explain to me the differences between all the boots I see in catalogs and on horses. There seem to be millions of them. Jumping boots, brushing boots, galloping boots, open front boots, dressage boots ( I thought you couldn't wear boots in dressage), splint boots. What if you are galloping and jumping, do wear wear galloping boots or jumping boots?

*somehow this double posted in the Eventing forum, and here. Sorry, not sure how I did that*
    Last edited by ceciley13; Apr. 26, 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Double post

The idea behind most boots is to provide some impact protection against injury. While not all boots are created equal Some of them do provide some impact protection. None of them will provide 100% protection against injury because none of them can possibly protect against strains and sprains. To each his own though....most of the time it can't hurt to add an extra little bit of protection if only for your peace of mind.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Some boots are a matter of personal preference. Galloping boots are meant for horses working at speed over varied terrain-cross country. Open fronts are used by some jumper people on the premise that if the horse raps the front of their fetlocks and pastern , they'll jump a little cleaner. Other jumping boots are enclosed so that if the horse hits in the rail, they will be somewhat protected.
    Brushing boots are meant to protect a horse from interfering with itself.
    And those dressage boots are meant for training not competition. They are so that a horse doesn't, while working on new , or old, exercises, rap themselves.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I always wondered if open front boots would get me laughed at/labeled clueless by dressage ppl. I like them as they look cooler (as in less hot). I have only seen them on h/j. opinions?

I always wondered if open front boots would get me laughed at/labeled clueless by dressage ppl. I like them as they look cooler (as in less hot). I have only seen them on h/j. opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I have a gelding who has issues with smacking his front ankles. I use open fronts for my dressage work as well as jumping. I work with a straight dressage trainer and she never mentions my boots. another woman at my barn uses then for all rides. She doesn't want to buy another pair when the open fronts work so well.

On the backs I just use woofs for flat.

Boots on every ride. Not for support as they don't provide any, but to protect from interference and other factors.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I mostly use open fronts, if you want an open front boot that has a little more to it, get the Equi-Fit. They have gel inserts that conform and absorb shock, among other things. I do love all of my open-fronts though, they look nice and do absorb shock/keep my boy from clipping his fronts.