The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Question Pregnant or just fat? Lots of pics...

    Mare was bred around April 22nd last year and have managed to get to her loose a bit of weight since. Well due date has passed and still no baby. To me it looks like she is but owner says with her in heat now, she's not. She's still bagged up, producing milk and has gone from completely relaxed to tightened up in the span of a few hours. I have pics of her from October though now. What do you guys think? She's on a low carb grain as of about August last year.

    October
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...016_102225.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...016_102157.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...016_102131.jpg

    December
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...906_071351.jpg


    February

    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psfc3cd166.jpg

    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps3a4a52c9.jpg

    Next few pictures are from the past few months. Last two are from today.


    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psb665de3a.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps0e059bdb.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps376374da.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psbd81de90.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pscd3d8a68.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pse92a23c7.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps8c09144f.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psb00079e5.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps69448091.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps4e56aff8.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psc9046627.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psfc41c9ef.jpg



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    call the vet out to check?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm


    10 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,856

    Default

    I am voting fat but would need to see udder pics to say for sure.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2003
    Location
    Baldwin, MD
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Was she ever checked for pregnancy?


    8 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    The horse was bred a year ago and you're just wondering this now? No vet checks?

    I'd say that at "around" day 367 and the mare's in heat, you've got a fat horse. Even if she's a maiden, she doesn't look pregnant at all to my eye.

    I wouldn't have her on any grain at all--wow, she's chubby.
    Click here before you buy.


    14 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2003
    Location
    Where is gets way too cold
    Posts
    3,495

    Default

    To me she looks fat rather than due to foal, but after seeing mares that I would have bet money were full term and were open, and hearing about that 2 year old TB at the track that foaled in her stall that no one knew was preggers, nothing is for certain, especially if this mare is a maiden.
    You need a vet to examine the horse. Given the innumerable things that can go awry during pregnancy and foaling, a vet should be involved at every step of the way.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    500

    Default

    I say the vet would know, and even with an udder pic I feel like it would make little difference, I have a mare who will bag up and produce milkish stuff all on her own and usually when she's more overweight as compared to less overweight. FWIW I vote fat :P



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2001
    Posts
    9,272

    Default

    Sounds like a false pregnancy. Not that uncommon.

    I am a small breeder (bred about a dozen mares) and it has happen to 2 of my mares.

    A vet could tell you pretty quickly.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2003
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Was she ever checked for pregnancy?

    Uh, yeah. Now is not the time to be wondering whether she's preggers if she was bred last year. We are not the people to be asking. The owner has been incredibly irresponsible.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I can get an udder pic in the morning. The vet has been out twice: once for yearly shots and coggins and a second time for the other mare that was bred the week before this one. When the vet looked at her she did say it looks like she could be. She wasn't palpated when they did shots and coggins due to her being nutso about getting any kind of shots or needles.

    The only foal I know of out of this mare is now 4. The low carb grain she's getting is the only thing I've managed to talk to owner into doing. She insists that everyone gets grain, even the donkey needs to get half a quart a day... If you look at her neck in the first pic compared to now, she has lost some weight and not nearly as cresty as she was. I still think a trip to the vet is in order. The farrier she uses said he had a mare that would go into heat and be in foal.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Default

    Good grief!

    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 17, 2003
    Location
    North Texas, US
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    I also vote fat, especially since she's not a maiden. As for pregger mares showing heat, heck yeah they can...especially if they live with a stallion. I have a couple who can be wider than the proverbial barn and peeing every time they see or hear him. Little hussies, I tell you!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Yup! But she did say if she's not pregnant she's going on a diet. Now how well the weekend person will keep to her diet is a whole different matter. Plus needing a pen to work in that's level would be a plus. I don't like working on a slope unless it's a hill.

    The stud does live on the property but the mares go one way and he goes the other. Then again the one mare that did have a foal, did have a grand old time with him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Good grief!




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2003
    Location
    Where is gets way too cold
    Posts
    3,495

    Default

    Why do people breed so nonchalantly!?
    Drives me absolutely MAD.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onna View Post
    Mare was bred around April 22nd last year and have managed to get to her loose a bit of weight since. Well due date has passed and still no baby. To me it looks like she is but owner says with her in heat now, she's not. She's still bagged up, producing milk and has gone from completely relaxed to tightened up in the span of a few hours. I have pics of her from October though now. What do you guys think? She's on a low carb grain as of about August last year.

    October
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...016_102225.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...016_102157.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...016_102131.jpg

    December
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...906_071351.jpg


    February

    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psfc3cd166.jpg

    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps3a4a52c9.jpg

    Next few pictures are from the past few months. Last two are from today.


    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psb665de3a.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps0e059bdb.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps376374da.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psbd81de90.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pscd3d8a68.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pse92a23c7.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps8c09144f.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psb00079e5.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps69448091.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps4e56aff8.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psc9046627.jpg
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psfc41c9ef.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by onna View Post
    I can get an udder pic in the morning. The vet has been out twice: once for yearly shots and coggins and a second time for the other mare that was bred the week before this one. When the vet looked at her she did say it looks like she could be. She wasn't palpated when they did shots and coggins due to her being nutso about getting any kind of shots or needles.

    The only foal I know of out of this mare is now 4. The low carb grain she's getting is the only thing I've managed to talk to owner into doing. She insists that everyone gets grain, even the donkey needs to get half a quart a day... If you look at her neck in the first pic compared to now, she has lost some weight and not nearly as cresty as she was. I still think a trip to the vet is in order. The farrier she uses said he had a mare that would go into heat and be in foal.
    Quote Originally Posted by onna View Post
    Yup! But she did say if she's not pregnant she's going on a diet. Now how well the weekend person will keep to her diet is a whole different matter. Plus needing a pen to work in that's level would be a plus. I don't like working on a slope unless it's a hill.

    The stud does live on the property but the mares go one way and he goes the other. Then again the one mare that did have a foal, did have a grand old time with him.
    Just preserving this horrifying trainwreck.

    OP, the vet coming out to "do spring shots" is not the vet coming out to see the mare. You could know 100% if she was pregnant if you (or the owner?) actually bothered to get her the appropriate medical care.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    10,000

    Default

    The OP says she doesn't own this mare.

    Fwiw she just looks very fat to me.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2007
    Location
    down south
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    Could be a false pregnancy and from what I'm getting you are not the owner. IMO this mare needs to be checked ASAP. She looks fat but you never know and if there is something in there and it's died she will turn septic and it will kill this mare.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,424

    Default

    Whether she is in foal or not, she does not appear to be, the whole situation begs for a visit from the vet.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2010
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Look at her from the back. With my PG mares, they were always bigger on one side, where the foal was.

    Yours looks fat to me, but who knows.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Well I've been completely shut down on the vet either coming out or her going to the vet to get checked. I was told in all of her 40 years breeding horses, she's never had a mare go into full heat and still be pregnant. Said if she has a baby great but more than likely not going to happen.

    I've argued with the man that puts the horses up at night about her being horribly over weight. When I was telling him how much grain she should be getting, he turned around and started yelling at me, calling me fat and that I should go starve myself like I am this mare. I told him giving her grain is like giving a fat kid candy. This was before the vet came out and agreed that it wouldn't hurt to try the I/R grain for this mare. Same vet told me that the horses would choke on the soaked beet pulp and she wouldn't feed it to any of them.

    Oh yeah here's an udder pic for those that wanted to see.
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps97292a0a.jpg



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jun. 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jun. 22, 2010, 09:53 AM
  3. ANOTHER Lameness post with lots of PICS
    By KrazyTBMare in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
  4. Neglected Horse/s *lots of pics*
    By spaghetti legs in forum Off Course
    Replies: 277
    Last Post: Oct. 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2008, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness