The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IIB - Periglandular fibrosis: Moderate, frequent to widespread. Is there any hope?

Also:
    Cystic gland distension: Slight, moderately frequent.
    Inflammation: Slight, chronic, diffuse
    Lymphatic lacunae: None.

From the biopsy report, it sounds like these last three are fairly treatable. Is there anything that can be done about the fibrosis?

Brief background: She's a 21 year old mare who's had 2 foals. The last one was born 7 years ago. I tried breeding her to Flemmingh in 2007, but didn't get a pregnancy. (Can't remember if she conceived or not) The first two foals were a breeze. She got pregnant on the first try and shot the foals right out with a swoosh when it was time.

The repro vet recommended that we do an embryo transfer. I'm a little concerned about the large price tag with a 50/50 chance of getting a foal. Needless to say I'm pretty bummed.

The expected foaling rate for a IIB uterus (NOT conception rate, but carrying the pregnancy to foaling) is 10-50%. So you can see that there is a large range within the category. Fibrosis is the most difficult issue to address. Generally, in these cases, if embryo transfer is not an option we advise clients to attempt a single breeding (not frozen semen) with good management and see what happens. I have known a few IIB mares to conceive and carry several foals after being diagnosed as a IIB and I have known mares who never successfully carried another pregnancy. It can certainly be an uphill battle, but it really depends upon where in that range your mare falls, which you don't know until you try to breed her. There are some unconventional things you can try to do, to address the fibrosis; i.e. some methods of chemical curettage. Sometimes these treatments work and sometimes they can cause more issues. If embryo transfer is an option, then that is definitely the way to go.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Thanks HHR. Last night I decided that I'll just plan on shopping for a weanling next spring in lieu of trying to do an embryo transfer. As much as I was looking forward to the whole baby horse thing, ET is a really expensive roll of the dice and for a little more money, I can one that's on the ground.

She's a great mare and I'd love to have more just like her, but there are plenty of great foals out there and I'm sure I'll find the perfect one.