The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Like Betsyk I like a rubber mouth Pelham, two reins if possible. It is strong enough to stop the horse without as harsh as many other bits.
    Also I know of several horses that get behind the harsher bits that accepted the rubber mouth Pelham.

Agree with others, training of the rider of how it deal with a very clever horse.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I wanted to come back and add what seems to be working for my daughter. We put her pony in a baucher, which gave enough extra control for her dressage (she was having a little bit of trouble with the halts), and also improved his connection at trot and canter. But this bit wasn't quite enough for her jumping phases, IF pony decided to land and take off, which he was beginning to do with regularity this spring. Trainer loaned us her Micklem. Micklem + baucher = big improvement, but still not quite the control. So I bought a 3 ring continental gag, double-jointed. Success!! DD is now the bomb on cross country and in stadium, trusting her pony OVER the fences. All is good.

I always bit the draft type ponies and horses up with a Pelham for trail riding or fox hunting...with those thick necks they often need something with a curb chain to get their attention. If the pony is bolting off, go with a bit with a curb chain. A snaffle is just not going to cut it.

I have grown to be a big fan of the neue schule bits. Here are some options that allow an increased control without a harsh mouthpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuoXs...e_gdata_player