The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Some how I missed a few of your posts... I wanted to say thank you for the kind and supportive words. I am so grateful to you it helps so much!!! I was re visiting this thread because I have had a few very bad Gray Zone horse days. I needed to re read to try to keep focused.

My 14 year old is REALLY BAD in the hind end... I cannot do anything more to help him. It is his hocks (when he got EPM as a 4 year old he got spavins) and had a sacro injury about four years ago. I have them injected and he is beyond that now He was wanting to play so bad yesterday and then was trotting and I couldn't even watch.. It hurt me.

I added his photo to know we had amazing times.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

He LOVED to jump and loved when I would hook up the horse trailer so we could go do something. He is such a busy guy and it kills me to see him hurting!

UGGG the Equine Gray Zone I hate it!!!
    Last edited by doublesstable; May. 5, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    You have my empathy if that is any comfort whatsoever.
    You have mine as well.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

1 members found this post helpful.

They're pretty damn lucky to have you
    EDDIE WOULD GO

DS- it's hard. My first guy I toyed with putting down a few years ago and the vet kept talking me out if it. One day, he just ate breakfast, layed down and went to sleep (never woke up). My two old ones now, I agonize. I talked to my get a few days ago....I'm giving them through the summer on awesome grass, then will key them go before winter. This winter was brutal on them...they have good days and bad. The summer good will outweigh their bad this year.

I have other terrifying factors... If one goes down when it's muddy, the truck can't get them.....horrifying for me.

It's never easy. Good luck.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Some how I missed a few of your posts... I wanted to say thank you for the kind and supportive words. I am so grateful to you it helps so much!!! I was re visiting this thread because I have had a few very bad Gray Zone horse days. I needed to re read to try to keep focused.

My 14 year old is REALLY BAD in the hind end... I cannot do anything more to help him. It is his hocks (when he got EPM as a 4 year old he got spavins) and had a sacro injury about four years ago. I have them injected and he is beyond that now He was wanting to play so bad yesterday and then was trotting and I couldn't even watch.. It hurt me.

I added his photo to know we had amazing times.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

He LOVED to jump and loved when I would hook up the horse trailer so we could go do something. He is such a busy guy and it kills me to see him hurting!

UGGG the Equine Gray Zone I hate it!!!
    From your words, it sounds as if it is time.... He looks a saint in your photo. Do what your heart tells you, whatever that may be. If you can't bear to watch him , he must be suffering.. Hugs from Colorado.

2 members found this post helpful.

This really hits home right now... You're not alone doublesstables. I lost my first horse to EPM last winter and my heart horse right now is staying the week at the vet to find out what's wrong with his front left... He's steadily been getting worse the last 2 years and he is just not what he used to be.

He's nine years old, but still a baby. He's a big horse who just started gaining muscle on his lanky body. He has a really huge future ahead of him and I'm afraid it's going to be cut short. This horse lives for jumping. You take him out to hack and he pulls to the jumps.

I'm scared.

I think in some ways the gray zone is harder to handle when your first horse lived a good length of time with few issues. My first was 26. My second retired at 11 and was euthanised at 18. I felt cheated in so many ways. And felt that he'd been cheated because horses are supposed to live about 25 years.

I wrote a blog about coming to the end with my second horse. doublesstable this entry might be helpful to you http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot.ca/

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Sending hugs and good energy to you as you deal with those grey area/bad days. Most of us with older horses get there, as mvp noted, and it's just plain difficult.

But I think horses really DO let us know when it's time, and it's clear to me that you know these horses well enough not to worry about missing that memo. In the meantime, there may be some things that can be done to reduce the bad days, or there might not - but exploring those issues can at least give you "something to do" for them. I've had great success with Pentosan for older horses, particularly with hock issues. Perhaps your vet can suggest a way to get those hocks to fuse, which can do wonders. Or maybe those things have all been explored but there are other approaches to pain management that you can try. BL solution worked very well for my old TB when he was going through some hock issues, for example. He also seemed to get a great deal of relief from magnetic hock boots; whether from the magnets themselves or simply from the comfort/warmth of the wraps I couldn't tell you, but he clearly benefitted from wearing them overnight and came out pretty comfortable in the morning. They also seemed to help him getting up and down (I suspect this was just from the protection/cushioning of the wraps, even though his stall was deeply bedded.)

I hope you are able to get to a point where there are more good days soon. And if not, know that your horses are extremely fortunate to have you to love and care for them, whatever the outcome.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by RedHorses View Post
    I think in some ways the gray zone is harder to handle when your first horse lived a good length of time with few issues. My first was 26. My second retired at 11 and was euthanised at 18. I felt cheated in so many ways. And felt that he'd been cheated because horses are supposed to live about 25 years.

I wrote a blog about coming to the end with my second horse. doublesstable this entry might be helpful to you http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot.ca/
    Yes I so feel this way..... I feel he has been cheated. He has a heart of gold and will do anything for me. He loves life so much and to see his body not agreeing with his mind is heart breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by karasha View Post
    This really hits home right now... You're not alone doublesstables. I lost my first horse to EPM last winter and my heart horse right now is staying the week at the vet to find out what's wrong with his front left... He's steadily been getting worse the last 2 years and he is just not what he used to be.

He's nine years old, but still a baby. He's a big horse who just started gaining muscle on his lanky body. He has a really huge future ahead of him and I'm afraid it's going to be cut short. This horse lives for jumping. You take him out to hack and he pulls to the jumps.

I'm scared.
    I am so praying for you! My horses get all excited too when they see jumps. Thank you for sharing your story - its hard because most of the people around me don't have horses or understand how I feel... so I don't say anything. Having friends here has been such a big part of the process we must go through.

I will keep your boy in my prayers and please keep us posted on what you find out....

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    From your words, it sounds as if it is time.... He looks a saint in your photo. Do what your heart tells you, whatever that may be. If you can't bear to watch him , he must be suffering.. Hugs from Colorado.

You hit another nail on the head!!!! He is such a saint and that makes this that much more difficult! This horse would keep going even if he just had three legs.

I was so hoping he could retire to be a trail horse, he loves the trails so much but he cannot negotiate physically the hills and any rocks we come across. And now the hind end is - bad.

I think that's what is so hard about the Equine Gray Zone - my heart says different things. He looks happy so just leave him hanging out, then see he looks sad because he wants to run and play but it hurts and I cannot fix that anymore. I know the memo is coming....

Thanks for the hugs.....

Oh thank you for your prayers. With my horse that had EPM, we really went back and forth with letting him go. But we knew that in the condition he's in, his time was short and he'd let us know when it was his time. It's much easier when the horse tells you than when you have to decide for yourself.

The equine gray zone is not something normal, non-horsey people can understand. We have to balance between trying to understand the needs and emotions of an animal that doesn't talk and trying to do what's ultimately best for them. Personally, for me, I would wait until the horse's starts to act depressed or when their bad days greatly outnumber their good. That's what happened to my EPM horse... he was basically alive and not living.

This is a great, supportive community. If there's anything you need, just holler!

Quote Originally Posted by karasha View Post
    Oh thank you for your prayers. With my horse that had EPM, we really went back and forth with letting him go. But we knew that in the condition he's in, his time was short and he'd let us know when it was his time. It's much easier when the horse tells you than when you have to decide for yourself.

The equine gray zone is not something normal, non-horsey people can understand. We have to balance between trying to understand the needs and emotions of an animal that doesn't talk and trying to do what's ultimately best for them. Personally, for me, I would wait until the horse's starts to act depressed or when their bad days greatly outnumber their good. That's what happened to my EPM horse... he was basically alive and not living.

This is a great, supportive community. If there's anything you need, just holler!
    Your right about non horsey people not understanding.... The horse that has the bad hind end had EPM too. We made it through so many tough medical issues I guess I thought I could just fix him forever! I have read up on Pentosan, I have a call into my vets office. Pentosan is kind of my last hope.

Thanks again for the support...

Doublestable , you will always have the support here on COTH. I don't support people putting healthy horses down but the aging process on large animals is very hard. My older guy is 21 and he does OK, has been running up the hills but his ringbone is painful and he has developed sagging fetlocks behind. He will only go on trails so he does not get out but 1-2 times a week. I am hoping I can find someone this summer to do more trails with him. It is also an expensive retirement at the boarding facility but he is just so happy with the people contact that to pasture him out seems unkind. I wish he could have gone on longer, he was the best riding horse I have ever ridden, round, responsive, packer over jumps, auto lead changes, I only hope my young one is half the horse.