The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite OTC NSAID?

What's your go to NSAID for people joint pain?

My knee has been acting up again the last few months and Aleve just isn't cutting it anymore. I've taken 4 today and its just barely taking the edge off.

TIA!

What is the active ingredient in aleve? I find ASA effective for lots of ache issues

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    What is the active ingredient in aleve? I find ASA effective for lots of ache issues
    Lin its naproxen.

Aleve works great for me--far better than the other options--but if it's not cutting it anymore for you, it might be time to go to the doc.

FWIW, you CAN stack Tylenol and Aleve (or Advil) but really, if you're at that point....doctor time.

Aleve is my big gun - 2-4 at at time. I also do up to 5 Advil at once on major pain days, thankfully not often. DH has to take at least 3 and up to 5 Aleve to get any relief - Advil doesn't cut it for him.

I hate taking the stuff, but gotta do what I gotta do to get through the pain.

DH got Mobic - Metacam for humans - and it worked great but its a scrip.

lovey1121- I was on Metacam (the people version) a few years ago and it didn't do it for me. The best (for me) was Celebrex.

Simkie- didn't realize I could stack, thanks for the info. Going to try that. Its almost Dr. time, going to give it a month or 3 more. Dug out my knee brace, and it + more Aleve is helping some.

I have a prescription for Naproxen. It's the same active ingredients as Aleve but stronger. I love them.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Simkie- didn't realize I could stack, thanks for the info. Going to try that. Its almost Dr. time, going to give it a month or 3 more. Dug out my knee brace, and it + more Aleve is helping some.
    Lest my post was in the least confusing (upon a reread, I see how it could be, and want to make sure it's absolutely clear) stack Aleve + tylenol or Advil + tylenol. I don't want to suggest to anyone that stacking Advil + Aleve would be okay. It might be, I don't know, but I would think it would increase bleeding risk.

And, as always, I'm not a doctor, YMMV, and consult your doc

I also loooove Celebrex for joint type pain, and it might be worth giving the doctor a call to score some of that. My docs have had no problems leaving me on Celebrex long term.

Have you tried surpass/volataren? I love it

I will also take 1 excedrin migraine and 1-2 Advil when desperate

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    Have you tried surpass/volataren? I love it
    Oh! Yes! This, too! The cream, like for your horse, not the oral voltaren, which I understand is quite hard on your stomach (and also an rx.)

You can get Voltaren Gel from Canada for not much money from feelbest.com

Funny story: when Blush bit me and broke my arm (small fracture, not displaced, long story) I told my doctor I was using Surpass on it. She said that was an excellent idea, and told me to continue. Did not offer to write a script for the human version (which is Voltaren Gel.) My doctor isn't horsey, but I was entertained that she was a-okay with me using a horse version of a med on myself.

I like ibuprofen, usually 800mg sometimes 1000mg, for my aches and pains. I generally just take it once in the AM if I'm working or planning on doing anything physical. For me it works better than naproxen.

DH is a different story. Ibuprofen doesn't help his knees and assorted other pains associated with milking cows, construction, and now factory work. He tried naproxen...didn't help. I finally made him a Dr.'s appointment and told him to ask for something on the $4 list, like Voltaren (diclofenac). Voltaren is what the doc wrote, 75mg twice a day (standard order). For him it's been working great, and he usually only takes it in the AM. His doctor wanted him to try Celebrex, but I asked one of the docs I work with about it- he said if the cheaper stuff is working and he has no stomach issues with taking it, then there's no good reason to do the more expensive med.

Honestly, if the OTC stuff isn't working, get to a doctor or clinic so you can get a script for one of the prescription meds. Most common where I work at are Voltaren, Lodine(etodolac), and Mobic(meloxicam), and occasionally Indocin(indomethacin). We also use Toradol (ketolorac) for more severe pain, but it's so hard on the stomach that it's limited to 5 days at a time.