The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

is this only for negative?

I don't tend to remember actors I don't care for. But I remember the one's I like!

Christopher Waltz. freakin amazing. (going off off Inglorious Bastards and Django)
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910607/

Tom Cruise. yup. he's on my list. I was on the boooo Cruise list with everyone else and then I started catching him on the late night talk shows. He's great on those shows. Made me have respect for him as an actor. Seems like a cool guy.

also, my new fav is Rebel Wilson. caught her on Jay Leno (maybe Jimmy Kimmel?) she's greatness.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2313103/

My latest actor crush:
    Billy Burke or as most know him, Charlie (Bella's dad) from Twilight.
    My newest TV obsession is REVOLUTION.
    He's the lead in that. Would have never believed it was the same actor.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0121605/
    http://www.nbc.com/revolution/
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Actually, I think Robert Pattinson can do much better, and I remember someone saying he was pretty appalled with Twilight. I did like Water for Elephants...

I'm really disappointed Tom Cruise is in Oblivion, I would like to see it otherwise.
    Quarry Rat

3 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Julia Roberts...Yeck!
    Nick Nolte...no one can explain his popularity to me.
    I thought he was fantastic in Teachers (but I suppose that's been a few years)

The guy in ELF! Absolutely boring.
    Yep, can't stand him (Will Farrell).

Adam Sandler...Yeck and unfunny.
    He and Jim Carey for me fall in to the same category -- I either love their movies or hate them... there's no in between. Hated Billy Madison and Big Daddy ... loved I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

Any "actress" with a sex video.
    Vigo Morgenstern (except for Lord of the Rings and the horse movie I'm forgetting)
    You're thinking of Hildalgo. Viggo is a favorite of mine so I have to defend him. A Walk on the Moon is one of my most favorite movies (plus... Viggo butt!), he was amazing as Lucifer in The Prophecy and as Nikolai in Eastern Promises (which included full frontal Viggo!!).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I forgot to add Nick Nolte to my list. He totally ruined Prince of Tides for me.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Keanu Reeves - not only plays the same part, but can't even act. How does he even keep getting roles? Can you say "wooden"?
    [QUOTE=Deuce;6953022]Agree 100%. He's just... TERRIBLE.[/QUOTE

I CAN'T STAND HIM!!!!!! HE MAKES ME VOILENT

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Tom Cruise and Nicholas Cage..
    Agree... I also can't stand Angela Bassett
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Andie McDowell. I don't consider her a star, but I find her a barely-even-passable "actress."

I think DeNiro often "plays DeNiro" in things like those Focker movies. And Jack Nicholson does the same. It's a schtick. Now, they've both done some good work of course, but...

Can't explain why, but I cannot stand Tom Hanks as an actor. Does nothing for me.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

The opposite of this thread:

Steve Buscemi. Fugly, plays interesting characters, picks up a pay check. Living the (legitimate) American dream.

Other actors who rock, but not in the "eye candy designed to offend absolutely no one," way?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    Andie McDowell. I don't consider her a star, but I find her a barely-even-passable "actress."

Can't explain why, but I cannot stand Tom Hanks as an actor. Does nothing for me.
    Andie McDowell has a tad of range. Just a tad. But she's very good at bringing brunette hair, pretty good skin and a fan-tabuous lighting guy to cosmetics commercials. Don't forget the lighting guy's cut.

Tom Hanks found his sweet spot playing the grown up kid in Big. Once you have seen that, you have seen all of Tom Hanks in concentrate form. His other characters and his appeal are that kid watered down. Even Forrest Gump was a reference to that kid and Hanks' appeal as a man-child.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    I think DeNiro often "plays DeNiro" in things like those Focker movies. And Jack Nicholson does the same. It's a schtick. Now, they've both done some good work of course, but...
    I don't even remember the Nicholson days before he was "playing Nicholson." To me, that's what he's always done. Though he was good in Batman. Somehow he applied "playing Nicholson" to the role of the Joker very effectively.

Ben Stiller. Never cared for his dad either.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    It's funny, Nicholas Cage was exactly who I thought of when this thread started, but for the life of me I couldn't remember his name.
    Are you sure?

Consider Cage as the two brothers in Adaptation. Lame movie by the way.

Then add him in Raising Arizona. Really? Hate Nicholas Cage in Raising Arizona? And the dude was different there. Oh, in the movie when he was the aging loser dad with the daughter... who made camel toe a house-hold concept? Different again.

Cage can do more than Cage, don't you think?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    She made the character even more simpering and obnoxious than the one in the books! Really? She couldn't speak a full sentence with out spluttering and halting when the character in the book at least had some sarcasm and wit on occasion?

Oh, and lets not get started on ANY of the other characters and actors. SO bad. Was that their fault or the director's fault? I mean to ALL be that bad? Then again, the story didn't give anyone much to work with. And you have to wonder how anyone could have said some of those lines with a straight face. And then there are the fights and all that growling and showing fangs.
    The actors in "Twilight" are divided into a few groups--competent actors doing their best with a crap script and characters with either no depth (Edward) or plenty of depth but nothing to do but validate Bella (Jacob, Carlisle, Esme, Charlie, whassername the psychic girlvamp, Jasper, Rosalie....most of the cast, really, especially Graham "Wasted in this film" Greene), Kirsten Stewart being a blank slate audiences can project themselves on (which is all Bella really is anyway), and...Michael Sheen, who figures if he's going to be in a schlocky tween romance he might as well make his character in TRON: Legacy look repressed and staid and REALLY go for the Large Ham with a side of Cheese.

I don't 'get' most ZOMGMOVIESTARS, as I generally find most actors who aren't big super names more than competent and better at convincing me they're their characters, which is kind of the point.

In Nicholas Cage's defense, if you give him a less-than-serious script (ie, National Treasure) and tell him to have fun and not take it too seriously, he's not bad. It's when he tries for serious drama and/or action hero I just cannot buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Kirsten Stewart being a blank slate audiences can project themselves on (which is all Bella really is anyway)....
    There are theories that the author of the book wrote the character that way on purpose, so readers could put themselves in her place. Maybe the actress was taking that approach to the next level. Maybe she's a better actress than we thought!

Or not.

4 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    There are theories that the author of the book wrote the character that way on purpose, so readers could put themselves in her place. Maybe the actress was taking that approach to the next level. Maybe she's a better actress than we thought!

Or not.
    I think that's giving Stephenie Meyer more credit than she deserves. A LOT more.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Tom Hanks found his sweet spot playing the grown up kid in Big. Once you have seen that, you have seen all of Tom Hanks in concentrate form. His other characters and his appeal are that kid watered down. Even Forrest Gump was a reference to that kid and Hanks' appeal as a man-child.
    You must not have seen "The Road to Perdition." It is a very different Tom Hanks. I think his character and performance "Philadelphia" are a far cry from "Big," too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Costner (although I love Field of Dreams), Owen Wilson, Arnold, Luke Wilson.

Katherine Heigle, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow (who seems to be a lovely person, I just don't think she can act), Drew Barrymore (with the exception of Gray Gardens), Kate Hudson.
    you liked drew in grey gardens? I though it was horrid, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I think that's giving Stephenie Meyer more credit than she deserves. A LOT more.
    Very possible.

After reading this thread I've been raking my brains to find an actor / actress that I really enjoy in whatever role they are playing.... it's the end of a work day and I'm fried.

Plenty of actors/ actresses that I don't like have already been mentioned.

Some, I like in some movies but not others.

So, actors with a big range?

Dustin Hoffman
    Meryl Streep
    Tommy-Lee Jones
    Charlize Theron
    Penelope Cruz
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    I don't understand why people seem to love this Rebel Wilson person.

I turned on some of the MTV Whatever Awards the other day, and she is terrible.
    Are you crazy?!? Have you seen Bridesmaids or Pitch Perfect? I haven't seen her in any awards shows or anything so maybe she doesn't translate, but honestly both of her characters in those movies I found to be hysterical...

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Are you sure?

Consider Cage as the two brothers in Adaptation. Lame movie by the way.

Then add him in Raising Arizona. Really? Hate Nicholas Cage in Raising Arizona? And the dude was different there. Oh, in the movie when he was the aging loser dad with the daughter... who made camel toe a house-hold concept? Different again.

Cage can do more than Cage, don't you think?
    I have actually always saw him as Cage, playing someone...someone that I dislike looking at, becuase well, he is Cage...
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm