The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Itchy horse

My horse seems to be prone to getting itchy. When he was younger he used to get hives in the summer but grew out of that for the most part but still his tail gets itchy. What is the best ways to control recurring itchiness. Also what shampoo works on the very sensitive horse. Even when I rinse very well he is prone to get itchy a day or two after a bath.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Do antihistamines help?

My mare was helped by probiotics.

Have you ruled out pinworms? Dirty sheath? Culicoides? Washing their tail doesn't do much if they have an underlying issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Do antihistamines help?

My mare was helped by probiotics.
    I have used antihistamines from the vet when he occasionally gets hives I think it helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Have you ruled out pinworms? Dirty sheath? Culicoides? Washing their tail doesn't do much if they have an underlying issue.
    Past stool samples have always shown zero worm count but I am planning on worming his again now anyways. If his last wormer was eqlavan gold then what is the next best wormer to try.

His sheath is hard to clean as he will not relax it, I have vet scheduled to clean it in June.

What is cullcoides?

Spirulina. I take it for seasonal skin itchiness, so does my horse, and my dog is about to start on it (he busted out in a rash last week, resulting in a $150 vet visit). Awesome stuff.

And you can clean the sheath even if the horse doesn't drop--just stick your hand up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Spirulina. I take it for seasonal skin itchiness, so does my horse, and my dog is about to start on it (he busted out in a rash last week, resulting in a $150 vet visit). Awesome stuff.

And you can clean the sheath even if the horse doesn't drop--just stick your hand up in there.
    Where do you get it?

You can get it from Springtime Inc., Amazon, herbalcom.com, Whole Foods, etc. Springitme's is in wafers, most others are powder form. If you get the powder, you feed around 2 tablespoons a day. It does have a funky flavor, so I always start off with just a bit and work my way up. When my horse is used to the flavor, he will actually eat the Springtime wafers straight out of my hand, but it took a while to get him there.