The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite casserole recipes

I keep trying casserole recipes off Pinterest but it is hit or miss what turns out okay. It is so easy to make ahead and my toddler loves them.

So what are your favorites?

this is a good one for the crockpot.
    the original recipe calls for bone in chicken thighs which is great for flavor but i dislike the bones in my dish, so i go boneless.

anyway...
    throw a dozen thighs into a crockpot, add 4-5 cleaned and cut up red/yellow/ orange peppers, lots of finely chopped garlic (I use a whole bulb usually) and a rinsed and drained can of white beans.
    salt, pepper and a splash of wine and in a few hours you've gt dinner. serve over rice or pasta or with bread for dunking.

This buffalo chicken casserole was pretty darned good.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/bu...casserole.html
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I don't do a lot of crockpot cooking, but this one is a favorite around here:

Bacardi1 Crockpot Chicken and Noodles

One package boneless skinless chicken thighs - OR - one package boneless skinless chicken breasts (in my opinion, the thighs produce a better & moister end product, but breast pieces work if you’re a white-meat-only fan)
    ½ a stick of unsalted butter, melted
    1 can Campbell’s “Golden Mushroom” condensed soup
    1 small packet dry Italian dressing mix (like “Good Seasons”)
    4 oz. container “Chive and Onion” cream cheese (sometimes I use a pkg. of Boursin “Shallot & Chive” cheese, or similar product)
    ¾ Campbell soup can full of dry white wine (Chablis, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc)
    One 8-ounce package white button mushrooms, rinsed & halved
    Chopped/minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    Egg noodles for serving, cooked according to package directions

Add melted butter, soup, wine, Italian dressing mix, & cream cheese to crockpot. Whisk until relatively smooth. Stir in mushrooms & nestle whole chicken pieces into sauce, spooning a little sauce on top of chicken. Cook on low for four (4) hours (no lifting the cover to peek – it skews the cooking time!). Remove chicken, shred or cut into bite-size pieces, & return to pot. Serve over cooked egg noodles garnished with parsley & freshly ground black pepper.

Couscous!
    And lots of other recipes - fast (30 min. tops, with meat) and easy in a pressure cooker. (hopefully this will not become a taboo word...!)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Here's a vegetarian casserole we enjoy as a main dish, although it can also work well as a side dish.

Bacardi1 POTATOES ITALIANO BAKE
    (adapted from "365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian")

One 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, or 1-2 cups artichokes from a large jar, depending on how much you love marinated artichoke hearts
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 24-ounce or so package frozen Potatoes O'Brien (frozen diced potatoes, onions, & peppers), THAWED
    1 medium fresh tomato, diced – OR - 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, or reconstituted dried - chopped
    1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
    8-ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade (if using artichokes from a large jar, just scoop out some of the marinade from the jar, & coarsely dice. In a large skillet, heat reserved artichoke marinade over medium heat. Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in thawed potato mixture, tomato, & diced artichoke hearts. Add in salt, cayenne pepper, mozzarella, & beaten egg. Scrape mixture into a generously oiled or buttered 2-quart baking dish, sprinkle grated parmesan on top & cover tightly with foil.

Bake approximately 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender & casserole is heated through. Remove foil & bake an additional 5-10 minutes until lightly browned on top. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. If served hot, can be spooned out; if at room temp can be cut into squares.

One of our favorite tweaked-up mac & cheese casseroles:

Bacardi1 MULTI-CHEESE MACARONI AU GRATIN
    (adapted from 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian)

1 pound elbow macaroni
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2-1/2 cups milk
    Approx. a half a pound to ¾ of a pound of a combination of grated or crumbled cheeses (blue/gorgonzola, cheddar, gouda – smoked or regular - gruyere, etc., etc. – pretty much any crumbly cheese that suits your fancy. I frequently make this recipe with all sorts of odds & ends of grateable cheeses I have on hand.)
    Approx. 4-6 ounces grated Mozzarella cheese
    Approx. 4-6 ounces grated Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese
    Approx. 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    Dried seasoned breadcrumbs (optional)
    Hot paprika, or a combination of regular paprika & a little ground cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350. In a large pasta pot, cook macaroni until tender but still firm, according to package directions. Drain well & return to pasta pot, tossing gently with 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour & cook, whisking, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk & bring “just” to a boil, still whisking, until sauce is thick & smooth, 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheeses - EXCEPT for Mozzarella & Parmesan - until they begin to melt, about 2-3 minutes. Season with nutmeg & black pepper to taste.

Add cheese sauce to cooked pasta. Add & gently stir in beaten egg, Mozzarella, & Parmesan cheeses. Transfer to a lightly oiled 9” x 13" or similar-size baking dish. Sprinkle with hot paprika or regular paprika & cayenne pepper & a little dry seasoned breadcrumbs if desired.

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until casserole is bubbling & top is nice & brown.

And since you mentioned a toddler, here's one that even seems to appeal to kids.

Bacardi1 Tuna Glop

This is a throwback to when I was a sprout – my “Girl Scout” days to be exact. A camping recipe that to this day I sometimes throw together when I’m in the mood for nostalgic comfort food. Amounts are easily adjusted to taste & servings desired. Has proved to be amazingly appealing to small children.

Cooked white rice (even cooked Minute Rice works well for this)
    One can Stewed Tomatoes
    Depending on amount of rice - 1 to 2 cans oil-packed tuna, drained
    American Cheese or Velveeta slices to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Gently combine cooked rice, stewed tomatoes, & tuna in a suitable baking/casserole dish. Top with slices of cheese to taste. Bake until cheese slices melt. Remove casserole, gently stir cheese into rest of ingredients & serve, OR if necessary, return casserole to oven until heated through.

My seriously lazy, seriously tasty Chicken, Wild Rice and Broccoli Casserole

1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
    1/2 cup of chicken broth
    1 Box of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice
    1 Rotisserie chicken, diced
    1 package of frozen broccoli florets
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    sea salt and pepper to taste
    Dash of Worchestershire sauce
    1/2-1/4 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook wild rice according to directions and set aside. In a 9x11 casserole dish, combine broccoli florets, chicken broth, rice, cream of chicken soup, salt, pepper, worchestershire and garlic powder. Top with parmesan cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes or until cheese and almonds are toasted.

This is a good Tex-Mex casserole. It does call for "Cream of ..." soups, though - I usually cringe when I use these, and have to hide the cans from Mr. DY.

Texas Chicken Casserole

2# deli roasted chicken, skinned, boned and shredded
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp Mexican-style chili powder (or 1 tsp. chili powder and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper)
    3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
    12 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips or 3 cups coarsely crumbled lime-flavored white corn tortilla chips

Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.

Layer half of shredded chicken in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
    Last edited by DownYonder; Apr. 21, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Chicken tortilla casserole

Cook 2lbs chicken in whatever beer u have handy. As it is cooking, shred it with a fork. Grate 1 lb of cheddar.

Mix a large can (family size) of cream.of chicken soup with the 1 lb container of sour cream. Coat the bottom.of your casserole pan with that, then layer your tortillas like you were making a lasagne. Layer the soup mix, chicken , cheese and tortillas until you run out.

You can sub low/no fat ingredients for any of the above if you don't really feel like eating a 2,000 calorie meal.

This is an Italian "casserole" -

Spaghetti Pie

2 Tbsp butter, divided
    8 oz pkg. spaghetti, cooked and drained
    1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 pound Italian sausage, cooked and drained
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp. basil
    1/2 tsp. ground allspice
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    16 oz can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped (reserve 1 Tbsp of juice)
    1 6 oz can tomato paste
    1/4 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1 cut ricotta cheese
    3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese

Grease 10 inch deep dish glass pie plate with 1 tsp. of butter. Combine hot spaghetti with remaining butter, Parmesan cheese, and eggs. Make a nest of spaghetti mixture in the pie plate and set aside. Combine sausage, onion, green peppers, tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar and spices. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Spread ricotta cheese over spaghetti in pie plate. Top with sauce (sauce will be THICK). Bake 15-20 minutes at 350F. Remove from oven and top with grated mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool 5-8 minutes before slicing.

Note: We use Pollo ricotta cheese, and grate our own parmesan cheese - has better flavor than pre-grated.

Here's my variation which resembles DownYonder's recipe:

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Mix together:
    -meat from one chicken which has been boiled (simmered) until tender.
    -1 yellow onion, chopped, slightly sauteed
    -16 oz sour cream
    -1 can cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup
    -1 or 2 cans chopped green chiles (More is more!)
    -1/4 cup chopped jalapenos (optional)

Saute:
    about 24 corn tortillas, depending on size of your casserole dish. In a small amount of medium-hot oil, fry each tortilla very briefly, approximately 5 to 8 seconds per side, so that they are soft and pliable. Drain well on paper towels.

Grate:
    approximately 12 oz Monterrey Jack cheese (I'm guessing at the amount. Use the normal amount in a layered cheese dish.)

Layer the ingredients:
    Start with a thin layer of creamy meat mixture. Then make three layers the following way: a layer of eight tortillas overlapping each other, followed by 1/3 of the creamy meat mixture, and 1/3 of grated cheese.

Bake:
    350 degrees covered with foil for approx 35 minutes or until bubbling, then remove foil for final 10 or 15 minutes.
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Apr. 21, 2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo

And a good vegetable casserole -

Squash and Corn Casserole

2 eggs
    1-11 oz can cream style corn
    1/4 cup grated Paremesan cheese
    1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil]
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp. minced garlic
    1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/4 cup chopped onions
    2 cups sliced yellow squash (about 3 medium squash)
    1/2 cup Bisquick

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish.

Whisk eggs in large bowl until smooth. Stir in cream corn, Parmesan cheese, sugar, garlic and pepper. Fold in onions, squash, and Bisquick. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven until bubbly and lightly browned (30-40 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Here's a vegetarian casserole we enjoy as a main dish, although it can also work well as a side dish.

Bacardi1 POTATOES ITALIANO BAKE
    (adapted from "365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian")

One 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, or 1-2 cups artichokes from a large jar, depending on how much you love marinated artichoke hearts
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 24-ounce or so package frozen Potatoes O'Brien (frozen diced potatoes, onions, & peppers), THAWED
    1 medium fresh tomato, diced – OR - 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, or reconstituted dried - chopped
    1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
    8-ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade (if using artichokes from a large jar, just scoop out some of the marinade from the jar, & coarsely dice. In a large skillet, heat reserved artichoke marinade over medium heat. Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in thawed potato mixture, tomato, & diced artichoke hearts. Add in salt, cayenne pepper, mozzarella, & beaten egg. Scrape mixture into a generously oiled or buttered 2-quart baking dish, sprinkle grated parmesan on top & cover tightly with foil.

Bake approximately 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender & casserole is heated through. Remove foil & bake an additional 5-10 minutes until lightly browned on top. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. If served hot, can be spooned out; if at room temp can be cut into squares.
    Yum! I must make this!

I love this variation on tuna noodle casserole. It's a little more work, but so much better than the old cream of whatever soup and mayo version. I'm single, so I cut the recipe in half and generally have enough for dinner plus 2-3 left over servings.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...and_fresh_dill

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

My favorite is a vegetarian one, and as the years have gone by I don't use exact measurements anymore

1 zucchini chopped
    1 yellow squash chopped
    1/2 yellow onion chopped
    1/2 red pepper, green pepper chopped

Saute veggies, place in bowl

8oz sour cream
    1 box of uncle bens wild & long rice cooked
    8-12 oz of shredded colby jack cheese

Add to cooked veggies, mix

Put into casserole dish, sprinkle cheese on top, cook until cheese is completely melted or 45 min. Cool, serves best warm

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    My favorite is a vegetarian one, and as the years have gone by I don't use exact measurements anymore

1 zucchini chopped
    1 yellow squash chopped
    1/2 yellow onion chopped
    1/2 red pepper, green pepper chopped

Saute veggies, place in bowl

8oz sour cream
    1 box of uncle bens wild & long rice cooked
    8-12 oz of shredded colby jack cheese

Add to cooked veggies, mix

Put into casserole dish, sprinkle cheese on top, cook until cheese is completely melted or 45 min. Cool, serves best warm
    Am saving this one for summer squash season. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Am saving this one for summer squash season. Many thanks!
    Oh! I forgot, I also add pinto and black beans to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    Oh! I forgot, I also add pinto and black beans to it!
    Notation/addition made. Thanks!

1 can of each? Or one can of one or the other?