The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm...
    I grew up with "search me". Had no idea others didnt use it!

1 members found this post helpful.

"Search me..." was in my family, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    "Destructions" is a combination of "directions" and "instructions".
    This is one we use, also. LOL

Our vet (who we LOVE) is a lesbian. She is sometimes known around here as "the lesbinarian", but we also use the world "veTRINarian" (pronounced like that, lol) to designate a lesbian one has met.

Since the children were small, and misheard, testicles are known as "tentacles". None of us ever grew out of that one. LOL

We have a few in our family. One of my favorites is "Trying to oink before you can wee" In other words trying to do something without proper preparations or missing steps or trying to do shortcuts.

Another one is " The stupid will suffer" Pretty self explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    My dad said "Search me" or "Beats the heck out of me" in lieu of "I have no idea." "Search me" especially seems to have been a peculiarity of his; I used that in conversation with my male boss and he told me he could not reply to anything I just said lest I and his wife smack him simultaneously. (My English ex-boyfriend also used it, which makes me think it might be one of the little pieces of Brit-speak my dad seemed to have used for uncertain reasons.)
    I grew up in CT. People used these phrases all the time. In our family, we'll still say "beats me". ANd it's true - neither phrase really makes any sense given the content..
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

My mom uses the word "Fnuff" to mean any type of lint, hairball, dustbunny, etc. My parents and I also often address each other as "mother", "father" and "daughter" in an expression of faux formality. We often sign our holiday cards this way.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Not from my family, but I love them..

Well... tie me to an ant hole and smear jam on my ears!

I ain't seen nothin that good, since Heck was a pup, and he's an old dog now..

Flirting 90 yr old man says "You're a walkin beauty,have you ever just TRIED to look ugly, see if you could?"

"Its a fixin' a storm" means it going to storm badly soon.
    "We're headin' for the pea patch" is what you say when you turn the car sharply.
    "Germins" is what you call germs.
    Also we call my younger brother Sparkle and there is some long story behind how he got the name, but I don't really remember. He is specifically called this when he does something dumb.

"Elevenzies" for that time period when cats go into freak out play mode
    "Schmutz" is an unidentifiable, mildly yucky something.
    "Scoot your boot" = move your a$$
    "Noonie headed" horses that over react or freak for no reason
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Mom was from CT . . . beats me if there's a connection. Dh and I when we see a situation going south will say the name of somebody we knew long years ago and look at each other knowingly. He was one who could never seem to get things right.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

When we were kids and would ask my dad how much he spent on something or how much money he made or something along those lines, he would answer "a dollar three eighty." We'd usually stare at him blankly and try to figure out how much that really was. Eventually we figured out that it was his way of telling us it was none of our business. He also used it if he didn't know the answer for the value of something.

The merging lane that people use to jump ahead of you and cut you off is called "the a$$hole lane."

Our family is filled with pilots, so kids and dogs are often referred to as being "all airspeed and no heading."

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

My Father was always in his heart, a sailor. So there were always seafaring terms. He's been gone awhile now, but I remember that if he was upset with someone, it would be "Bugger 'im!" and also, he'd look in the mirror and smile and say "Oh! What a handsome Bugger!"

His sister once spilled some perfume all over Nana when my cousin's daughter was there. She said "Nana! You smell like a French HORSE!!"

Nana grew up in England, and when she didn't want us to know where she was going, she said "I'm aufredaunting (AUF-re-DAUNT-ing) an Elephant!". I have no idea what it means or where she got it, but I loved it.

"Pet two cats with one hand". My son made it up when he was little as an animal loving alternative to "Kill two birds with one stone."

The handholds above each car window are referred to as the "oh shit handles".

My ACD Simon is a major drooler at meal/snacktimes, often resulting in a trail of drool from wherever he happens to be to wherever the food is. A couple of times a week we have to clean these off with a rag and Simple Green.

We call these drool trails "Slimon".

Farting = "oops, I just methaned".
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

My Dad's favorite is "stupid should be painful"! And my friend and I started using the phrase "Oh, Fruit Loops!!" a few years ago when we were trying to get a foul mouthed pony camper to stop teaching the other kids awful words. It was astonishing the words this 7 year old boy could come up with (he had older brothers). When we would hear him start to swear my friend and I would both scream "FRUIT LOOPS" at him to get him to stop It turned into the joke of Pony Camp.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    "Schmutz" is an unidentifiable, mildly yucky something.
    Is your family Jewish? "Schmutz," like a bazillion other wonderful words starting with "sch," is Yiddish. ("Schmool" may derive from the Yiddish, too...)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Let's see...there are more than a few.

"gone cracker dog" is for when the dogs (or cats, or horses) get the zoomies and go racing wildly around their areas at top speed. For the dogs, can also be referred to a "butt tucking".

"Miss on you Pister. You're not so Mucking Futch. Go Back off in your own Jack Yard" I'm not sure where that came from originally, but it's one of my mom's favorites, and none of us could say it the RIGHT way if we wanted to.

There are lots of others, but I don't have the energy to type them all tonight. I love the old family sayings!

"Peen"- was the word that I used a toddler when I wanted ice cream. I am in my late 30's and we still use this word.

"with me, With Me, WITH ME!!" - (said louder and louder) said by my little brother when he was a toddler and my uncle placed him in a plastic floaty boat and little brother was afraid to go by himself, and all he could get out was, "with me, ...With Me....WITH ME!!" He was so upset to go alone. It is now used when any of us are afraid of something and I also use 'with me' instead of 'heel' when I want my dogs to stand next to me.

"the rips" when any animal be it dog, cat, horse etc just runs and runs and runs around like made.... Riley was feeling really good after his bath and he has the rips!!!

When the vehicle tires are low on air, we "fluff" them, and cigarettes are called "tapcons" or "items"
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell