The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sacroiliac injectons (for people!) Who has had one, and I am being a baby?

I posted this earlier today on the underdev02 version of COTH that we were all working on for several hours, and I think it's exceedingly unlikely that we're going to get that stuff back, so here it is again... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I damaged my SI several years ago coming off a horse, and although it's been well managed with therapy and exercises, I started riding again seriously over the last couple months and that really aggravated everything. I had an injection on Monday--anesthetic, some contrast to confirm they were in the right place and 2 cc Depo-Medrol. It was done with fluoroscopy and took all of perhaps five minutes.

I went home feeling great and that lasted a couple hours. Then the anesthetic wore off and it felt like I'd been kicked in the @$$ by a horse--seriously painful. It's a little better now, but I'm still *really* sore.

I didn't expect to be in this much pain, but I'm not sure if I'm just being a wimp or if I should call the doc? It IS improving, albeit slowly, and I know Depo takes a couple weeks to really, fully work. Curious to hear of others' experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Not the same, but had my hip bursa by the spine injected, now twice and didn't even know they did it.
    First time, hit the right spot and I was pain free for 1 1/2 years, wonderful.
    Three years later, same, but no relief at all this time, must have missed the spot.

Mine was an old injury courtesy of a wild heifer, that ran over me and dislocated my hip 40 years ago and was fine until a few years ago started giving trouble.

I think yours involved the spine directly?

Did they not give you a nurse's number to call if you had any problems or questions?
    They did give me one each time.

Do call the Drs office, just to double check all is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have had more crap injected than a cheap claimer at a gyp track. The SI injection HURT! It didn't really hurt much afterward however. It didn't help either but that is another topic. I would give them a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    No help, laurierace? That's disappointing. I hope I have a better response.

Guess I'll give them a call in the morning. Sigh. I was really hoping that this would provide pain relief, not make me hurt more :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It didn't help but neither did anything else they did more or less until they finally figured out what the problem was. My pain was 100% in my left SI but it turns out that my nerve roots inside the spinal column are stretched. Until they put the cortisone in the right place it didn't do any good. The epidural worked miracles for 6 weeks. The second one was two weeks ago and was a step below miraculous but still light years better than where I was before. Hope they get yours figured out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcjumper View Post
    That sounds like me! I don't get SI injections but I get neck epidurals. For about 3-4 days after, I am MISERABLE. I can't look down without pain. I finally asked for some pain meds to get through those days until the swelling goes down then all is fine again. I hope it works for you!

How'd they figure out the true cause of your pain, Laurierace? That sounds like something that would be tough to track down.

I'm at day four tomorrow, xcjumper, so hopefully at the tail end of this? I feel okay when I wake up but I get worse as the day goes on and by bed it's been really bad. Part of the reason I haven't called the doc...it's not been terrible (except for that first day, OMG) until after 5pm...

I had surgery on my bladder in 2010 and when I woke up I had incredible pain in my left hip and had trouble walking for over a month. I was diagnosed with the stretched nerve roots then. The hip got better eventually but then I had pain in my SI that got worse and worse and worse. I didn't ever put two and two together until we went back and looked at my medical records and apparently I was also complaining of SI pain following the surgery too. I guess the hip hurt so much worse that I had forgotten that. So we figured out that the SI was related to the stretched nerve roots and treated that with an epidural and it worked. In the meantime I had facet blocks (worked miracles for 6 days then nothing) Next came the rhizotomy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizotomy which did nothing. Then directly to the SI injection which did nothing. Then finally the epidural which lasted 6 weeks. I would say I am about 90% pain free right now. The next step which I am hopeful we won't have to take is a spinal stimulator.

I've got nothing for ya...never had the experience with SI. I've had cortisone injections (and they hurt like a SOB) but only while they were being done, not after.

Hope they get it sorted out!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I had both my SI joints injected about 5 years ago. I have had cortisone shots in the past, and my experience is that you feel worse for 24 hours and then better. That did not happen with my SI. I just felt worse for weeks. Didn't help at all.

My SI injections didn't help either. I had facets done too. 3 times.

Actually waiting for a call from my doctor, my back has flared up again terribly - hoping my insurance approved my MRI so I can take it to consult with a surgeon.

I've had SI injections and mine hurt for a while, a good week. It helped longer term, but sure was a b!tch short term. I get cortisone about every 6-9 months in my c-spine and that's easy-peasy. For the SI stuff I deal with, rolling around on tennis ball is just as effective. Although sometimes that hurts as much as the shots.

I thought my SI joints were acting up the end of last year, beginning of this year & chalked it up to the time in & out of a walking cast, and basically ignored it. Turns out it was a wicked urinary tract infection. OOPS.

I've had SI injections and mine hurt for a while, a good week. It helped longer term, but sure was a b!tch short term. I get cortisone about every 6-9 months in my c-spine and that's easy-peasy. For the SI stuff I deal with, rolling around on tennis ball is just as effective. Although sometimes that hurts as much as the shots.

I thought my SI joints were acting up the end of last year, beginning of this year & chalked it up to the time in & out of a walking cast, and basically ignored it. Turns out it was a wicked urinary tract infection. OOPS.

Alright, call in to the doc.

I feel lucky that the injection itself wasn't painful--although I did take them up on their offer some sedation, which was, I think a little versed and fentanyl, which could certainly explain the good experience.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with some pretty impressive pain following. My only other experience to fall back on is when we did Blush's hocks. She was so upset from that experience that I slept in the stall and kept her sedated for about 18 hours. We never used Depo-Medrol for her again--she did far better with Triamcinolone.

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    My SI injections didn't help either. I had facets done too. 3 times..
    Rowing my boat next to your. I've had prolo, glucosamine, steroid, injected in SI, around SI, and facets. Nothing has helped.

3 ruptured discs with healthy discs in between. Not a surgical candidate unless I moved to Europe, where they do linking fusions.

1 members found this post helpful.

Spoke with the doctor who was not overly concerned, stating that the steroid takes a week to kick and and it sounds like I either have a muscle spasm or that my brain is (essentially) paying more attention to the pain after the brief respite with the anesthetic. She called in some vicodin for pain and valium for sleeping. (I'm not a huge fan of the narcotics, but after being in pain, it feels soooo good to get some relief. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.)

I see her in about 10 days for a recheck.

Thanks to all for your stories and I'm sorry to hear so many of us have problems with our backs