The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are you paying for full board?

Specify the area if you like but I am more interested in the dollar amount for full board on 1 horse. When I say full board, I mean the obvious daily care plus 4-5 pro rides or lessons per week.

What extras are offered at your barn (ie; treadmill, magnetic therapy..), and what is the cost of each service?

Do you receive a discount for multiple horses?

When you go to shows what are the additional fees you incur above entry fees, shipping and braiding?

If your trainer shows your horse; what do you do with the prize money?

1,000$ a month... Includes 4 lessons a month and 4 training rides a month. Full tack up service. 1.5 hours of turnout a day (no grass paddocks). Full care, clipping, grooming, wrapping, hand walking, cold hosing, etc.. Body clips are $150.

Trainer does not keep prize money. 75$ a day fee at horse shows, hotels, grooming stalls etc split among the clients.

At another barn around here:
    $850. No lessons or training rides included. $35 a lesson, $25 a training ride. European Hot walker included, grass turnouts 3 hours a day, no tack up service. Pay extra for wrapping, cold hosing, game ready, magnetic therapy etc.

Show fees are about the same.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

$925: 2 pro rides and 3 lessons a week, full care board (stalls cleaned daily, turnout/in in paddock or pasture, fly masks on/off, excellent feed, supplements fed if supplied by owner).

Day care costs at show: $40, splits on tack/feed stalls/hotel for trainer.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

$1650 for board and 5 training rides/lessons. Sadly, this isn't even close to the high end for the area and if we move to a show barn we will be paying $2K-$2200.

2200.00 a month.

6 days week - pro ride and/or lessons
    7 days a week turn out
    feed grains
    feed daily mash
    blanket
    grooming
    prep and put away after lessons
    icing and/or wrapping (after riding if necessary)
    clipping
    laundry (pads)
    feed three times a day
    stall cleaning/bedding in box stall
    fly system for flies
    farrier scheduling and hold

Shows are split costs of feed, bedding, grooms, tack stalls, trainers travel.
    Trainer charges ride/day fees
    Groom tip of approx $20.00 a day

I am in Los Angeles
    Last edited by doublesstable; Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Updated locatoin
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

$700 including 1 pro ride a week and two lessons on my horse (I get free lessons on others) feeding twice daily, t/o for half the day in a grass paddock, vet appointments and farrier appointments and discounts on other services (for a boarder a day at a show is 100 for someone else its 150, stuff like that) Other services people have to pay for but I get discounted because I'm the WS/ crash test dummy. As far as shows go we pay for the stall, entry fee, training fee, and my trainer's expected income (if there aren't enough of us at the show for her to make money)

ETA: I'm in Sullivan County, NY
    Last edited by Kat.; Apr. 15, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Jesus. I pay $750.00 board and get nothing other than Board. No lessons. No training rides (I train my horse myself so I dont really need that, but I do like having someone to set the jumps for me and tell me keep my elbow in. lol)

2 members found this post helpful.

$910/mo gets me 1 lesson a week, 2 training rides a month, and board. I choose the frequency of lessons and TR's, so it could be more I guess. There's also no "requirement," so you can board w/o lessons if you choose.

Board for me is $550 in the summer and $600 in the winter (blanketing charge since they change blankets frequently during day, etc). Includes turnout (individual or pairs), stall cleaning 2x/day, supplements, medication, wrapping/unwrapping, beet pulp, flymask/sheet, boots for turnout, night checks, person living onsite, EXCELLENT T/OG hay fed free choice when inside, LUSH pasture turnout, two gigantic rings (one covered) with full set jumps, and nice facilities w/ rubber-brick paver isles and walkways, fancy heated/cooled lounge with dressing room, bathroom, kitchen, Keurig and free coffee with it. I do get a $50/mo discount bc I choose to buy my own grain (which costs me about $100 every 6 weeks).

Also includes basics like feeding 2-3x/day, farrier holding, vet/farrier scheduling (if you need), etc. Another thing is the BO has several show trunks and coolers that they allow you to use if you go to shows, free of charge.

ETA--I am in North Carolina
    Last edited by jlphilli; Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.

I pay $650 for my 1 horse that is in training. I get 2 pro rides a week included. Also he gets all day turnout, blankets changed, feeding, stall cleaning and supps fed.

My other horse is retired so I pay reg board on him $475.00. No discounts for having 2 horses.

I pay all trailering/ entry fees for my trainer to show him. He is still green so we haven't done any away shows yet.

I'm in SE PA
    Last edited by superD; Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add area

$750/month for full care and 5-6 pro rides per week. Lessons are $45 for half day (before lunch or after lunch) or $75 for full day. Shows are $50/day. I do all grooming and tacking at the show myself or pay someone to braid (generally not someone with the barn, they don't have anyone on staff to do it). If the horse is boarded, clipping and bathing for the show is included.

Side note: my horse seriously injured himself back in September and required a great deal of care, including hosing and bandaging multiple times per day, hand walking, ponying, medications, etc. Not only did they not charge extra, the only fee for the horse was for boarding ($475/month) since the trainer wasn't riding him. And they did an awesome job taking care of him. My barn rocks

$700 per month includes one lesson or schooling per week, stall cleaning, daily turn out, blanketing (as long as it is not too complicated) and administration of owner supplied supplements once per day. She will also do basic vet care in return for some help around the barn. Any additional lessons or schooling is $50 for 45-60 minutes.

Show charges: $100 per day which includes whatever schooling and coaching is required.

BO does not offer tacking up or grooming services but will help to arrange that with a third party.

Edit - I'm in Central Jersey
    Last edited by sammicat; Apr. 15, 2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Update location
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Can everyone put the general area where you are located? I am amazed at the prices where lessons/rides are included...

I'm in the North East...

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    Can everyone put the general area where you are located? I am amazed at the prices where lessons/rides are included...

I'm in the North East...
    I would also like to know the location where people are from.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My location is on my post--the variety of services/prices in my area can be pretty dramatic, from $1800 a month down to basic board of $350 or so a month with no trainer but indoor, turnout, stalls done daily and feed-heck, self-care board can begin at $150/month with owner cleaning/feeding.

The big "A Barn Experience" is available here with all its amenities and costs, but many trainers are in that $1000/month for board/training/lessons zone.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

$675 for the best care I've ever gotten for my horse. Not a super fancy barn, and the price reflects that. At the low end of the prices for my area.
    Includes:
    Feed 2x a day, 3 if needed
    Daily long turnout
    Blanketing/unblanketing, blankets removed in the field if needed
    Vet and farrier scheduling and holding
    Handwalking/hotwalking if turnout is too wet

$40 per lesson
    Haven't shown or put training rides on my horse with this trainer, so I can't speak to that
    Mane pulling, clipping, etc. $10 each
    Body clipping depends on who's doing it

East coast. $2500 each horse. No show fees. The younger horse I take 1 lesson per week and the rest are pro rides, the older horse I take 3 lessons per week and he only gets a tune up on occasion. He's purrfect

I am in the tri-state area and pay just under 3K for full training board. This seems to be the "going rate" of show barns in my area (3K and over). It includes basically everything and the care is now pretty good...improving (with strong encouragement!). The facility is nice (big stalls and turnout; tiny indoor). It's a show barn though, though I often feel the quality of the lessons & overall professionalism is lacking. Feedback is not really tolerated without trainer going ballistic. My hands are tied due to finances (and have a green horse who needs professional rides); and fear of the unknown (what other barns might be like). Though I rode with one of the top hunter trainers in the country as a junior...everything certainly changes when you are an adult!!! I guess you take the good with the bad; and I really feel beyond blessed to have this opportunity to be riding again as an adult.

Wow guys. I am REALLY, sincerely impressed by how much some of you are, and are able to spend on your horse every month!

I need to work where you guys work and live where I live!

$435/ a month in good ole VA

Includes:
    Feed 2x a day
    Meds given (provided by owner)
    Daily turnout for 9 to 10 hours
    Blanketing/unblanketing, or fly masks
    Stalls cleaned everyday

Two outdoor rings. One with lights.

I schedule my own vet & farrier appointments and need to be there to hold. No onsite trainer. Lessons around $50 to $70/hour in our area.

Default Board in Middletown, NY

I pay $700 a month for full board. This includes feeding 2x a day, all day turnout, blanketing and pretty much anything else my guy needs. I will never leave my barn, ever.
    http://maplewoodwarmbloods.com/