The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I got a 1!

Just got back from a show today and my mare and I had an "interesting" ride to say the least! We rode 2-2 and according to my mare there were demons at the end of the arena near A. At this facility there is a HUGE (like 40ft) vinyl banner thing hung at that end of the arena with entrance doors behind it. Someone was behind there doing something so she could hear them but not see them. When my mare spooks she FREEZES...as in feet grow roots to the ground. It wasn't so bad if we trotted or cantered by there as I had forward momentum on my side but in 2-2 we do this long walk thing with a canter transition at F (demon corner). Well, we just froze at F, then backed up a few steps and froze again...for probably 20 seconds or so. Finally got forward again and picked up canter at A to continue. I got a "1" on the movement...should really have been a "0". Just curious what you guys think a judge would give a 1 versus 0? I really didn't deserve even the 1!!!

Needless to say the test ridden up towards C were all 7s and anything at A ranged from 1-5!! And she was generous with a submission score of 5

This is my fourth year of really showing competitively myself and I am still figuring this whole thing out! I think I need to outline a 10 year plan
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Last year I got a 3 for a wrong lead depart, water ski downward, flying buck onto correct lead, dead ass run, and then break into standardbred trot before the letter so I have no idea.

12 members found this post helpful.

Well, you did it...eventually.

You can't get a 0 unless you're not in the arena.

10 members found this post helpful.

I was suppose to free walk across the diagonal, instead we bucked/leapt/jigged/went sideways . We got a 1 since we went across the diagonal. w
    It was quite a day.

1 members found this post helpful.

you got a 1 for following the line / direction the movement was to go.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

A 0 is for a movement not done. You just did it really badly after a long wait, so you got a 1. I've got a 0 for supposedly not doing a circle in a freestyle that I did. Nothing I can do.

You have to to pretty interesting stuff to get down into the 1, 2 3 category. Congratulations!

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh I got a two once, I still remember the test. LMAO. The judge tipped her hat to me on my way out. She said, good on you for not giving up.
    My horse decided he was going to buck and squeal and just go totally bonkers.
    Long story, but I would not let him get away with it.
    I was amazed I stayed in the ring.
    REason, We used to board at this barn, I was the last ride of the day, and they had a unorthodox way of bringing horses in. they would open the last paddocks and let them run up a fenced alley next to the main ring.
    It had been 5 years since my boy had lived there, but THAT he never forgot, He got to pretend he was back at the track every day.
    And he could not abide doing dressage right next to where the fun was.
    I could not stop laughing. LOL
    What a horse, I miss him!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Nope, I once got a 0 and several 8s in the same test.

The 0 was for the right lead canter depart, which was, in fact, "not performed." I was on a stunning, 10 + mover, gorgeous OTTB who was still in the reclaim process. At home, I could get credible inside bend to the right and a right lead depart, at a show with distractions, counter-bent in the corners, not so much. After the third or fourth attempt to get a right lead depart I just gave up and continued with the rest of the test.

His trot work was really good!

I saved that test for a long time. :-)

Wow, you were approaching the "ring, ring, ring" thank you for playing point w/ a 20 second refusal.

Did the judge mention the problems at that half of the arena in her comments? I had a test once where a flower stand had blown over at C and let's just say that
    no matter what I did I could never quite make it to C for the entire ride. The judge gave me low scores and 'tension' comments but never referenced the constant shying from C. I remember thinking "could you not see that I couldn't even get there?!?" Not that it should have helped my score but I didn't think she really understood what was going on.

Congratulations! You were on the cusp of being eliminated for sustained resistance, but didn't. Getting super low movement scores inevitably means you have good stories to tell.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Congratulations! You were on the cusp of being eliminated for sustained resistance, but didn't. Getting super low movement scores inevitably means you have good stories to tell.
    I think I'm going to make that my official motto. I am TERRIFIED of riding my first dressage test and screwing up, lol.

I got a 1 AND an error on the same movement, so... pretty much a -1? Truly a highlight of my career so far

9 members found this post helpful.

4 - insufficient
    3 - fairly bad
    2 - bad
    1 - very bad
    0 - not performed

I had a horse once that was terrified of the spinning ventilator on the roof of a building right behind the judge's stand. He balked at it as we toured the outside of the arena before the bell. I could feel him start to lose momentum as we entered and made our way down the center line so I drove him really forward. At our halt at X, he stood straight up

The judge was generous. We got a 2.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I ... um ... actually want to get a 1 and a 0 one day, just so that I can say I have been awarded every single mark (have already received 2-10).

Quote Originally Posted by KMErickson View Post
    I got a 1 AND an error on the same movement, so... pretty much a -1? Truly a highlight of my career so far
    Wow! Share the story? And I'm curious as to how they scored it. *Did* they treat it like a -1, or just a flat 0?

I once saw an eventing test movement that scored 0. It was turn down centerline, halt and salute. The horse only got, at most, halfway down the centerline and then did some rearing and spinning until the rider gave up and left. Judge gave them a 0 instead of eliminating - I don't remember the details of why they weren't eliminated for sustained resistance (maybe because it was a schooling show?)

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    Wow! Share the story? And I'm curious as to how they scored it. *Did* they treat it like a -1, or just a flat 0?
    It was for a trot-walk transition at C: my horse reared and spun waaaaay into the middle of the arena (garnering a 1) and then I got flustered and made a big loop around and ended up trotting back and then walking at C a second time to try to find my place again, and the judge gave me an error for 'repeating a movement.' Frankly given the circumstances I thought it was a pretty low blow, but... whatever. We weren't winning that class anyway, so it didn't really matter at that point, haha. And yes, it ended up counting like a -1!

I've only seen a 0 once on a test (not mine). A friend of mine took her old man to an event at Prelim level, it was his victory lap before retirement. The test had a rein-back on it - only problem is that Bob in his 18 years of life has never done a willing, nice rein-back and then returned to work round and happy. So, she did the required halt, paused for a few seconds and skipped the rein-back all together.

It made sense at the time for this horse.

Wow good for you for perservering...I would have gotten some 1's a couple of times but I excused myself before I got eliminated when my young horse kept trying to leave the arena...without me. Both judges thanked me...for leaving with him
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I think I'm going to make that my official motto. I am TERRIFIED of riding my first dressage test and screwing up, lol.
    I started to be a little more relaxed at shows after I saw a video of Jan Brink go off course. If he can mess up, then I have permission.