The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I don't think numbers under the brand indicate the year the horse was born. My horse's Life # is 351516018799. He was born in 1999. The two digits under his brand are 87.

And add me to the list of people that aren't surprised about the conduct of the seller/agent, assuming my detective work is correct.

1 members found this post helpful.

Eeek. Yeah, I can't comment on your relationship with the trainer, but....I'd be leery. I mean, you were upset enough by these shenanigans to move barns, and now that maresy is possibly back in your hands, you are still set to go?

ETA: set to stay at current barn, I mean. Sorry. No mare = leaving trainer and barn, getting new job; mare back = staying and still buying mare. I guess what I'm saying is that the trainer showed her true colors, and you are willing to not only look over someone who will screw over an employee and possible (current) client, and then come back act like everything is hunky dorey.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

When someone tells you who they are , listen.
    Last edited by Pennywell Bay; Apr. 19, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone. I've held off from purchasing the mare as much as I want to for now. I asked again if maybe she would consider leasing her to me, so we shall see.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's BB has many stories about buy now, pay later deals gone south. If you had the cash in hand, then I would say at least do a limited PPE with flexions and checking teeth and back. But let's say you agree to buy her and it takes three months to sell the truck, or you don't get your price, what then? What if she goes lame and you realize it was all a mistake and don't follow through with payments because you feel cheated?

Sell the truck if you want to buy a horse and need the money. Then look for a horse. Otherwise, there's too much that could go wrong in dealing with someone you know to be dishonest.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Did I miss the video? The OP said there was a video and I cannot find it. I want to see this mare!

I can't see the video either... boo! I want to see her!

The video now is either offline or set to private and the online ads for the horse have disappeared as well.
    --o0o--

Okay I have a new one.

6 year old 16 hh Oldenburg Sempatico paint mare. Solid WTC. Has jumped a little and is willing. Very sweet temperament but can be spooky (she is only 6 though!)

I ride a Sempatico and love him. He's seven and just a great horse. He's a solid horse and has been since he was very young (I've known him since birth)

I will say that if a horse is spooky, I wouldn't expect them to grow out of it much. They might lose a bit of it, but if it's part of who they are it wil always remain, and will be made worse by a nervous rider.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Agree about the spookiness. I have a 19-yr-old that is still spooky! My 13-yr-old has certainly gotten BETTER about being spooky (is absolutely NOT spooky at home) but is still pretty much a scaredy-cat at new places.

Although a young mare I sold got considerably less spooky with oral magnesium supplementation and on regumate.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by horsietalk View Post
    I wasn't riding and getting out the horse to teach it anything, I was bonding with her and getting to know her.
    This to me was your first mistake. It was not your horse. Just because you "bonded" with her did not entitle you first right of refusal on a sale. You made an offer on a horse without the money in hand and it fell through. This sounds harsh, but manure occurreth. I don't think your boss did you wrong, I think you got a valuable lesson about the horse business.

Good luck with your shopping, but with a transaction this large don't be ruled by your heart.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    This to me was your first mistake. It was not your horse. Just because you "bonded" with her did not entitle you first right of refusal on a sale. You made an offer on a horse without the money in hand and it fell through. This sounds harsh, but manure occurreth. I don't think your boss did you wrong, I think you got a valuable lesson about the horse business.

Good luck with your shopping, but with a transaction this large don't be ruled by your heart.
    Agreed. This thread explains the very reasons I do not get emotionally attached to a horse I do not own. I can be excited about the prospect of a new horse but until papers are signed and cash exchanged, I have to keep in mind that anything that happens up until that horse is mine is all business - whether the seller is my father, my best friend, my trainer or a stranger off the street. So I can empathize with the fact that you were excited and subsequently disappointed, but I don't think what the trainer did was personal. She was simply conducting business which she has every right to do.

If the entire tread was read you'd see I knew it was business and understood that. I am still on more than perfect terms with the trainer and still work for her. Sure I was upset a little, but I kept it to myself and vented a little bit on here. But at the end of the day it is her business she has to run and survive on.

Anyway I found another mare I am interested in and wanted to get a price she would be worth:

6 year old 16 hh Oldenburg Sempatico painted mare. Solid WTC but doesn't have changes. Has jumped a little and is willing. Very sweet temperament but can be very spooky. No show experience yet.

I recently sold a VERY similar mare for $7,500. She had nice enough movement to always get a piece of the hack, even in good company. But, she was only 15.1hh and had imperfect hock x-rays (100% sound, however and neither my vet or the buyer's vet was at all concerned about the x-rays.) She would have been $10,000+ if she had been 16hh.

So much depends on how motivated the seller is!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I've seen them sell around 7500 here also. I know of an art deco mare that sold not long back that didn't have changes yet but was jumping some and solid dressage at training level and showed at that level that went for 7500. She could be a mare at times, sensitive ride but an advanced ammie would have no problem with her.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by horsietalk View Post
    Anyway I found another mare I am interested in and wanted to get a price she would be worth:

6 year old 16 hh Oldenburg Sempatico painted mare. Solid WTC but doesn't have changes. Has jumped a little and is willing. Very sweet temperament but can be very spooky. No show experience yet.
    Based on what you've posted, you might want to reconsider looking at a spooky, green horse. Maybe how you've portrayed yourself isn't accurate, but from this:

I'm not a young kid who wants to move up one day. I'm fine riding flat or getting back into low jumping. I like that I can go on a trail ride with her and feel safe.

I'm thinking that spooky and green is not something you want. Also, if a seller is telling you the horse can be very spooky...you're almost guaranteed that the horse is very, very, spooky and requires a strong, quiet, confident rider in order to not be spooky.

However, if you are the type that doesn't mind hitting the dirt (often at first) and is quiet and confident, then this could be a horse for you.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

2 members found this post helpful.

It is so hard to price a horse without seeing it move and its conformation, but I agree that 7500 is probably in the range if it is pretty talented. Spooky is bad for resale. Is she papered?

Why isn't she further along in her training? Has she been in work? A horse sitting in the field is always a red flag for me to do a deeper pre-purchase. I always feel better about buying a horse that has been in work for awhile. Things can go away with time-off and flare up when back in work. But maybe that doesn't apply here. Good luck!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I have rode her about 4 times now. She will spook at something every ride but her spooks have been just tiny jumps to the side and she gets over it before it even hits you that she spooked at something. Yesterday I rode her when it was super windy and no other horses were out so she spooked quite a bit but all just silly hops or wanting to stop. She still got some good work done despite wanting to spook at a million things. I have rode her on trail twice with other horses and she has been perfect out there. When we get back to the barn she wants to look at stuff again. And she spooks at silly stuff, like shadows, birds hopping along on the ground rather than the tractors, golf carts and mini bikes that continuously drive by. I have been just ignoring all her spooks and keep asking her to do what we were doing.

She is quite different from the previous mare though. I tend to always want older horses who are been there done that but I know I underestimate my riding abilities and get stuck just riding the steady eddies where I might not really be progressing - just riding comfortably. If that makes any sense?