The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Soda Stream? Or other similar products?

Anyone use one of these gizmos?

I've curtailed my fizzy water habit a great deal because of the amount of waste the store bought stuff produces (I try to recycle all of it, but considering I don't have curbside recycling, it doesn't happen as much as I'd like). A Soda Stream or similar thing seems like a handy, economical, and "greener" way to get the fizzy water I love. Just curious if they are worth the initial investment and if the end result is good.

I'm not interesting in their "soda" knock offs, as I hardly drink any at all (usually a Coke at a horse show and an OCCASIONAL Coke if I'm out to eat), but I do love unsweetened, flavored "sparkling" waters.

Input?

I've only tried a Soda Stream Diet Coke and I was not impressed!

No feedback on the fizzy sparkling waters, sorry!

I really love my SodaStream -- got one for Christmas this year. I drink a lot of fizzy water with no flavor, and so does the rest of my family. It is much cheaper and less waste.

There are flavor drops you can add to make it like flavored LaCroix. I actually just got some of those and tried the raspberry today -- it tastes pretty much like LaCroix with no weird ingredients. I also sometimes put a few pieces of frozen fruit or cucumber or mint in the glass which creates a nice flavor without calories or chemicals.

It came with some soda samples and they were hit or miss. The fresca one was pretty good, the colas were not. I haven't bought any more so I have very limited data there.

Oooo....good to know. LaCroix is actually my favorite, but I was going through 3-6 cans of it a day! Great for my hydration, but not on my wallet or the environment!

I also like the idea of tossing some fruit in. Do you put it in the actually bottles they come with, or just pour fizzy water over it in a glass?

The drops I put in the bottles they come with -- the fruit just straight in the glass with ice. In 5 minutes or so it gives it a little flavor.

I hear you on the LaCroix $$ issue -- we all like "sour water" as my 3 year old calls it, so it really has been a huge moneysaver for us. I don't like "plain" water so this is also the only way I've found to imbibe enough water without calories. I grew up with truly awful iron water so plain water just turns my stomach, the association is still there. Weird I know, but what can you do.

A woman I work with bought a SodaStream for her husband and they love it, both for soda for him and fizzy water for her.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

You use the bottles to create the fizzy water (water goes in bottle, bottle hooks to machine for fizzing, then any desired flavor gets added after).

As for the $$ ... eh, I'm not convinced. It's not just the buy-in of the machine, but the continued use of the CO2 bottles, which you need to exchange at a Bed Bath and Beyond, or whatnot. One bottle lasts about 45 liters (it says 60, but I think that's optimistic), and costs $18 or thereabouts to exchange for a full one, at least here in New England. So I'm not sure it really saves over cheap 2-liters of sparkling water by that much. [You can buy converters to allow your bottles to be filled more cheaply, but not sure how safe they are.]

Definitely cuts down on recyclables, though! I'm glad we have ours for that reason, and also because of the freedom to mix and match whatever we want at a given moment.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

We love our Soda Stream! -- mostly for soda (Coke, Mt. Dew, Rootbeer, Dr. Pepper flavors) -- we've found you do need more than the suggested amount of syrup to make it taste close to 'real' though.

Love the sparkling flavored waters.... One thing that is not good though? The Crystal Light Lemonade. Yuck.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I love mine, but I only use it to make seltzer. I make it flavored by pouring it in a glass, and adding a small about of juice (mostly crane-grape from costco). For me it's worth it in the reduction of recycling alone. Plus I don't have to worry it I forget to put the cap back on and the seltzer goes flat. I can just re-carbonate it

If I wanted to use it to make soda, it would be a different story. I've hated every one of the flavors I've tried so far. But that's mostly because I can't stand artificial sweeteners, and I haven't found any flavors that don't have any, even the regular soda ones.

We have a sodastream and really like it. Mom likes to drink the fizzy water, and I like the fruity additives like the grapefruit juice or lemon lime.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I love my SodaStream! We set it up to go to a large Co2 canister so that it is cheaper. I fizz a 3/4 bottle of water and then pour in some 100% juice of my choice to top it off. Also I make ice tea and fizz that too

I bought my seltzer-addicted husband a Soda Stream a couple of years ago when they first came out - before they were being so heavily advertised. He really likes it, but pretty much just for making plain seltzer that he then flavors himself with a lemon or lime wedge. I had also bought him a package of the Soda Stream flavors, but we quickly discovered he was allergic to them (as in automatic "fish lips").

Mr. PoPo is a fizzy water addict and we always have 2-3 bottles from the Soda Stream in the fridge. I'm not a big water drinker so I don't really drink it except in the summer and I might add a little Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade to it and that's yummy.

Definitely saves on the recycling and definitely worth buying, IMHO!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I love mine. I prefer seltzer to plain water, so it's been good for me. The flavorings - meh, although once in a while I'll use the Grapefruit or Root Beer. Wish they sold the flavorings and did bottle exchanges at a regular grocery store, though.