The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I reread Nevil Shute's "A Town Like Alice" once every couple of years. It's the perfect war romance.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaSting View Post
    I reread Nevil Shute's "A Town Like Alice" once every couple of years. It's the perfect war romance.
    Have you seen the movie? It finally came out on Netflix and I watched it last week. It only covers the plot up until Jane and Joe get together, but I enjoyed watching it.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I forgot the childhood goodies - Harriet The Spy, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Man O'War, The Horsemasters, Jump-Shy....some of my oldest friends

elizabeth lynn's Chronicles of Tornor trilogy. practically have 'em memorized. have been known to buy them used and force them on my friends.

have re-read harry potter three times; i keep 'em handy in case i want to read them again.

i also used to re-read Winter's Tale (the one with the horse) every winter...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    I reread Harry Potter a lot, especially when I'm feeling too stressed and too adult and just need to escape to a comfortable place for a little bit. Harry Potter for me is like the literary equivalent of sweatpants.

That is exactly how I feel! I used to reread HP books whenever I was feeling stressed or just needed some down time.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

The Harry Potter books for sure.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown, both by Robin McKinley...love the horses and riding.

Jenny Willow, by Mike Gaddis.... any dog lover, especially bird dogs, will adore this well written book.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin and The Virginian by Owen Wister
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

I reread Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Just love her detail and characters. I also like Anne McCaffery's Dragon Rider/singers etc series. I reread Dick Francis too, they are like M&Ms, sometimes fun to over indulge but not all the time. I reread "Kim" by Kipling not long ago.

The Charm School by Nelson DeMille
    Actually I like most Nelson DeMille books and will reread the ones with John Corey - I love his sarcastic wit.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

1 members found this post helpful.

I have two real favourites, so much so that I read a couple of copies of each to tatters. One is Ernest Haycox's Bugles in the Afternoon and the other Marlys Milhiser's The Mirror. Have a few Dick Francis books and Harry Potter for comfort reading before bed and those, I can open anywhere and read a chapter or two and off to sleep.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    Harry Potter for me is like the literary equivalent of sweatpants.
    This may be the best description of the need to reread HP books ever. Literary sweatpants. Awesome.

2 members found this post helpful.

The Stand by Stephen King. Even though I've read it almost every year since it came out, it's such a massive, sweeping book with many characters and plot lines that I always come across something I've forgotten.

Gone with the Wind
    by Margaret Mitchell. Again, it's a huge book with a lot of stories and intertwined characters.

Reading those two is like coming home for me, but for different reasons. They're nothing alike, yet in many ways have striking similarities.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Most anything Dick Francis or Rita Mae Brown but I'd say my favorites from them are Bolt (DF), Riding Shotgun (RMB) and the Sister Jane one where the horses and hounds save her (I guess I need to read it again since I can't remember which one it is).

Of course, the kid in me still loves the Black Stallion books and the Hardy Boys mysteries. Non-horsey, I love Queen of Camelot, although it makes me cry (why I can't do Where the Red Fern Grows any more). Guess that's it.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

"To the Hilt" is my favorite DF.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This may be the best description of the need to reread HP books ever. Literary sweatpants. Awesome.
    I am so glad to see so many Harry Potter fans who feel the same way! I never tire of the books o the movies. They are just good for the soul.

My childhood reads were pretty old-fashioned -- The "Anne of Green Gables" series and the "Little House on the Prairie" series. I still pull them out and read them, very couple of years.

I had forgotten about "Watership Down." I read and re-read that book, then lent it to a friend and never got it back. I will have to get it again, maybe on my Kindle.

You know, I recently realized that, pre-computer, I re-read much more. The Zenna Henderson "People" books, "Gone with the Wind," Thomas Costain's "Below the Salt," Bess Streeter Aldrich's "Song of Years," "Lord of the Rings" are just the tip of the giant iceberg of books that I read and re-read.

Thanks to this thread, I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few weeks.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1. The entire Dune series -sequels and prequels.
    2. Anything by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, etc.)
    3. Anything by Patricia Briggs, but in particular the Omega series and the Mercedes Thompson series.
    4. Wen Spencer Alien Taste series.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Harry Potter books. Honestly I have read them so many times the bindings on my hardcovers had to be reglued. They are the perfect series to calm my nerves or just pickup and read.

Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. I have read them so many times.

LOTR and the Hobbit.

Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series.

I have others, but I'm not currently looking at my wall of books
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

The Count of Monte Cristo......I love it...

Harry Potter series

Jacquline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series.. . ( or anything by her really)

Lord of the Rings

His Dark Material (Phillip Pullman)

Ayn Rand's Anthem

Gone with the Wind
    Diana Gabaldon series (only the first four)
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    A Song of Fire and Ice series
    Any Dick Francis novel (except some of the new ones - my favs are Bolt, To the Hilt, and For Kicks)